Summer of Love - Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Every_Breaking_Wave

When the group resumed their U2 360° Tour in August 2010, they debuted "Every Breaking Wave" with a live performance, making it one of several unreleased tracks to be debuted.[7] As the band continued recording for their next studio album, the song was altered; after Ryan Tedder was brought on as a co-producer in 2013, the song was one of the tracks that he changed most, as he introduced a new chorus melody and moved the old one to the song's bridge.[8]

Are you sure? I thought he just clipped something that was being used as a bridge and tweaked it as the chorus...

I believe the exact words were "Tedder came up with a new chorus melody".

Probably mentioned but it sounds like someone really botched pasting the bridge into this track. It doesn’t even sound like it’s in time. Oh well. Love this song very much.

Probably mentioned but it sounds like someone really botched pasting the bridge into this track. It doesn’t even sound like it’s in time. Oh well. Love this song very much.
My pet theory is that they cut a larger part for Lady Gaga here. I base this only on the fact that the edit is so sloppy, and it's bizarre to have Lady Gaga do only background vocals.

I just found the full song, 'Colors' by One Republic, and it appears the guitar riff in 'Summer of Love' is not from that song as the earlier video led us to believe. That earlier video was botched together and badly edited, giving us the illusion that the 'Summer of Love' riff was 'Colors'. Here is the actual 'Colors' by One Republic:

https://youtu.be/di79SL4kw00

Great song, by the way.

Last edited:
I just found the full song, 'Colors' by One Republic, and it appears the guitar riff in 'Summer of Love' is not from that song as the earlier video led us to believe. That earlier video was botched together and badly edited, giving us the illusion that the 'Summer of Love' riff was 'Colors'. Here is the actual 'Colors' by One Republic:

https://youtu.be/di79SL4kw00

Great song, by the way.

Earlier in this thread Montrose shared a tweet from One Republic that “we may recognize Summer of Love as West Coast, which they worked on but left off of their Oh My My album. So both the riff and chorus were part of West Coast is my understanding.

Or maybe the riff was originally part of Colors, then taken out, who knows??

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread Montrose shared a tweet from One Republic that “we may recognize Summer of Love as West Coast, which they worked on but left off of their Oh My My album. So both the riff and chorus were part of West Coast is my understanding.

Or maybe the riff was originally part of Colors, then taken out, who knows??

For the last time, that tweet was not from One Republic; you’ve been shown that from multiple posters, how come you’re still clinging to that story?

For the last time, that tweet was not from One Republic; you’ve been shown that from multiple posters, how come you’re still clinging to that story?

What?? ONE other poster said he "thinks " it's from a fan site, that's it. That's your "multiple posters" claiming that the tweet was not from the band. Look let's just drop it. BVS, you seem to not be able to sleep at night thinking that Ryan Tedder has had a hand in writing portions of two really good U2 songs, despite evidence to the contrary.

As Rachel D. said, "Never mind the man behind the curtain."

It's amazing that any intelligent critical discourse is ever allowed to happen here the way a couple of you "Interference veterans" stalk the proceedings. Goodness gracious.

What?? ONE other poster said he "thinks " it's from a fan site, that's it. That's your "multiple posters" claiming that the tweet was not from the band. Look let's just drop it. BVS, you seem to not be able to sleep at night thinking that Ryan Tedder has had a hand in writing portions of two really good U2 songs, despite evidence to the contrary.

As Rachel D. said, "Never mind the man behind the curtain."

It's amazing that any intelligent critical discourse is ever allowed to happen here the way a couple of you "Interference veterans" stalk the proceedings. Goodness gracious.

It IS a fan Twitter site. That doesn’t take longer than 5 seconds to understand. So don’t pretend pushing that tweet is “intelligent critical discourse”. It’s quite the opposite. You’re the old person on Facebook still posting pizzagate stories claiming it’s true.

Go back and read the tweet; the number of tracks is off and it claims the song was “produced” for oh my my, and not “written” for... That would show any thinking person that the tweet wasn’t written by any intelligent person in the know.

Stop focusing on me and “veterans”, and just put together a well thought out intelligent argument. Debating if a fan site is a fan site isn’t a great place to start.

It IS a fan Twitter site. That doesn’t take longer than 5 seconds to understand. So don’t pretend pushing that tweet is “intelligent critical discourse”. It’s quite the opposite. You’re the old person on Facebook still posting pizzagate stories claiming it’s true.

Go back and read the tweet; the number of tracks is off and it claims the song was “produced” for oh my my, and not “written” for... That would show any thinking person that the tweet wasn’t written by any intelligent person in the know.

Stop focusing on me and “veterans”, and just put together a well thought out intelligent argument. Debating if a fan site is a fan site isn’t a great place to start.

All you need to know is:

1. In 2016 a video of Ryan Tedder and One Republic filming themselves playing the main guitar riff and singing the chorus of Summer of Love, calling it a new One Republic song.

2. Ok, let's say a One Republic fan site says you may recognize Summer of Love by U2 as West Coast from One Republic 's Oh My My sessions.

3. Brent Kuntzle of One Republic just happens to play additional guitar on Summer of Love.

4. Words by Bono, Music by U2. Produced by Tedder/Kuntzle

I could say it doesn't take a genius either.

I love the song, I don't care who wrote it, but thinking that One Republic would film themselves pumped about playing U2 music seems rather odd to me.

So let's enjoy the song.

I think this song needs to be a single. It’s so damn good.

I agree, it's the best chance U2 of having a song that could really catch on outside of their fanbase.

I think the only thing really holding SoE back is that the songs their promoting it with are good but not great, Summer of Love is great.

All you need to know is:

1. In 2016 a video of Ryan Tedder and One Republic filming themselves playing the main guitar riff and singing the chorus of Summer of Love, calling it a new One Republic song.

2. Ok, let's say a One Republic fan site says you may recognize Summer of Love by U2 as West Coast from One Republic 's Oh My My sessions.

3. Brent Kuntzle of One Republic just happens to play additional guitar on Summer of Love.

4. Words by Bono, Music by U2. Produced by Tedder/Kuntzle

I could say it doesn't take a genius either.

I love the song, I don't care who wrote it, but thinking that One Republic would film themselves pumped about playing U2 music seems rather odd to me.

So let's enjoy the song.

1. No, he never said it was an OR song in that video. Stop pushing the same lie over and over. In fact he very specifically states the other song IS a One Republic song, which is kinda odd but would lead one to believe he may have been playing OR songs and other songs he was producing in the same listening session, which would completely make sense why he would have to tell a fan that “this is an OR song”.

2. It is a fan site, and it doesn’t even claim the song was written by OR.

3. Cool, Lanois also played on some songs he produced for the band.

4. I’ve read the liner notes too.

1. No, he never said it was an OR song in that video. Stop pushing the same lie over and over. In fact he very specifically states the other song IS a One Republic song, which is kinda odd but would lead one to believe he may have been playing OR songs and other songs he was producing in the same listening session, which would completely make sense why he would have to tell a fan that “this is an OR song”.

2. It is a fan site, and it doesn’t even claim the song was written by OR.

3. Cool, Lanois also played on some songs he produced for the band.

4. I’ve read the liner notes too.

Haha, ok BVS

SOL may now be a true single? I heard it yesterday on 1st Wave (Sirius/XM radio) and what was interesting is that they played AIWIY right before it.

Not really sure what the hype about this song is though; it's OK but not great by any stretch.

SOL may now be a true single? I heard it yesterday on 1st Wave (Sirius/XM radio) and what was interesting is that they played AIWIY right before it.

Not really sure what the hype about this song is though; it's OK but not great by any stretch.

What’s funny is that I was in your boat about a week ago and then the song just hit me. It’s simple and has a lot of open air, which I really appreciate. The breakdown after the 2nd chorus is spine tingling.

For me it’s just a beautiful song. It has a nice sound to it, very good lyrics(not always a given these days) and a really catchy and fun chorus. It’s by no means a “rocker” but it’s a good tune.

In the Rolling Stone interview Bono seemed to not rule out releasing this as a single. Sure sounded like Love is Bigger has the best chance at being the third single however.

In the Rolling Stone interview, Bono was asked about the music to Summer of Love and he stated that the cool guitar part was written by Tedder's bandmate (Kuntzle) in One Republic. Bono then said that Edge was excited about the freedom he was given by being able to sample others' work on this album.

In the Rolling Stone interview, Bono was asked about the music to Summer of Love and he stated that the cool guitar part was written by Tedder's bandmate (Kuntzle) in One Republic. Bono then said that Edge was excited about the freedom he was given by being able to sample others' work on this album.
Which is really fucking annoying. How is this any different to using the Haim riff? Summer of Love is an awesome song and is far bigger than that riff, but why not make it crystal clear who wrote it?
This is a guitar based rock band. So if a riff is prominent in a song and the liner notes say 'music by U2' you're going to assume U2 wrote that riff.
Just credit it for god's sake.

Which is really fucking annoying. How is this any different to using the Haim riff? Summer of Love is an awesome song and is far bigger than that riff, but why not make it crystal clear who wrote it?
This is a guitar based rock band. So if a riff is prominent in a song and the liner notes say 'music by U2' you're going to assume U2 wrote that riff.
Just credit it for god's sake.

Agree. And wtf does 'sample others' work' mean? Is it use others' work? Experiment with it? Be inspired by it? Seems odd. There was another thread here where this was debated and it seemed to go nowhere. I think the song is ok, but TBH I really want to know if this is a proper U2 song or something they outsourced to a younger mob of producers and agreed to publish as their own.

Agree. And wtf does 'sample others' work' mean? Is it use others' work? Experiment with it? Be inspired by it? Seems odd. There was another thread here where this was debated and it seemed to go nowhere. I think the song is ok, but TBH I really want to know if this is a proper U2 song or something they outsourced to a younger mob of producers and agreed to publish as their own.

Well it’s sampling, like a big chunk of Pop, where they built around a groove, riff, etc. of another song. This was never a published riff, so this is more like when Eno would bring in a string loop or ambient piece he built for the band to build around. Eno does this with most of the bands he produces.

Well it’s sampling, like a big chunk of Pop, where they built around a groove, riff, etc. of another song. This was never a published riff, so this is more like when Eno would bring in a string loop or ambient piece he built for the band to build around. Eno does this with most of the bands he produces.

Right. Writing credits are a pretty fluid thing anyway, and stuff like this seems like it goes in line with stuff that's happened in the past anyway.

If Tedder didn't get a credit for writing the chorus melody for EBW, then stuff like this doesn't surprise me. If they didn't credit people like Eno and Lanois in the past, or Dallas for his role in part of the effect for SUC, or the Pop samples and so on, I'm not too worried about it as a listener at this point. That's just me though.

Back
Top Bottom