Summer of Love - Appreciation Thread - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #76
The Fly

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
1. No, he never said it was an OR song in that video. Stop pushing the same lie over and over. In fact he very specifically states the other song IS a One Republic song, which is kinda odd but would lead one to believe he may have been playing OR songs and other songs he was producing in the same listening session, which would completely make sense why he would have to tell a fan that “this is an OR song”.

2. It is a fan site, and it doesn’t even claim the song was written by OR.

3. Cool, Lanois also played on some songs he produced for the band.

4. I’ve read the liner notes too.
Haha, ok BVS

Gzusfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I think this song needs to be a single. It’s so damn good.

It will be come Spring and if it’s not, this band and the people around them are out of touch.

CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I think this song needs to be a single. It’s so damn good.
Agreed. A lovely song with a serious subject matter. The bridge into the strings is my favorite part.
prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #79
New Yorker

IMG_9898.JPG
Super Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #80
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post

This makes more sense.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:45 AM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
It will be come Spring and if it’s not, this band and the people around them are out of touch.
I feel like we already came to that conclusion a while ago.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #82
War Child

SOL may now be a true single? I heard it yesterday on 1st Wave (Sirius/XM radio) and what was interesting is that they played AIWIY right before it.

Not really sure what the hype about this song is though; it's OK but not great by any stretch.
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Fizz View Post
SOL may now be a true single? I heard it yesterday on 1st Wave (Sirius/XM radio) and what was interesting is that they played AIWIY right before it.

Not really sure what the hype about this song is though; it's OK but not great by any stretch.

What’s funny is that I was in your boat about a week ago and then the song just hit me. It’s simple and has a lot of open air, which I really appreciate. The breakdown after the 2nd chorus is spine tingling.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

For me it’s just a beautiful song. It has a nice sound to it, very good lyrics(not always a given these days) and a really catchy and fun chorus. It’s by no means a “rocker” but it’s a good tune.
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #85
War Child

Local Time: 11:52 PM
In the Rolling Stone interview Bono seemed to not rule out releasing this as a single. Sure sounded like Love is Bigger has the best chance at being the third single however.
U2freakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #86
The Fly

In the Rolling Stone interview, Bono was asked about the music to Summer of Love and he stated that the cool guitar part was written by Tedder's bandmate (Kuntzle) in One Republic. Bono then said that Edge was excited about the freedom he was given by being able to sample others' work on this album.
AtomicHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #87
Refugee

Local Time: 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicHorizon View Post
In the Rolling Stone interview, Bono was asked about the music to Summer of Love and he stated that the cool guitar part was written by Tedder's bandmate (Kuntzle) in One Republic. Bono then said that Edge was excited about the freedom he was given by being able to sample others' work on this album.
Which is really fucking annoying. How is this any different to using the Haim riff? Summer of Love is an awesome song and is far bigger than that riff, but why not make it crystal clear who wrote it?
This is a guitar based rock band. So if a riff is prominent in a song and the liner notes say 'music by U2' you're going to assume U2 wrote that riff.
Just credit it for god's sake.
kiwilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:11 AM   #88
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Which is really fucking annoying. How is this any different to using the Haim riff? Summer of Love is an awesome song and is far bigger than that riff, but why not make it crystal clear who wrote it?
This is a guitar based rock band. So if a riff is prominent in a song and the liner notes say 'music by U2' you're going to assume U2 wrote that riff.
Just credit it for god's sake.
Agree. And wtf does 'sample others' work' mean? Is it use others' work? Experiment with it? Be inspired by it? Seems odd. There was another thread here where this was debated and it seemed to go nowhere. I think the song is ok, but TBH I really want to know if this is a proper U2 song or something they outsourced to a younger mob of producers and agreed to publish as their own.
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #89
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Agree. And wtf does 'sample others' work' mean? Is it use others' work? Experiment with it? Be inspired by it? Seems odd. There was another thread here where this was debated and it seemed to go nowhere. I think the song is ok, but TBH I really want to know if this is a proper U2 song or something they outsourced to a younger mob of producers and agreed to publish as their own.

Well it’s sampling, like a big chunk of Pop, where they built around a groove, riff, etc. of another song. This was never a published riff, so this is more like when Eno would bring in a string loop or ambient piece he built for the band to build around. Eno does this with most of the bands he produces.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Well it’s sampling, like a big chunk of Pop, where they built around a groove, riff, etc. of another song. This was never a published riff, so this is more like when Eno would bring in a string loop or ambient piece he built for the band to build around. Eno does this with most of the bands he produces.
Right. Writing credits are a pretty fluid thing anyway, and stuff like this seems like it goes in line with stuff that's happened in the past anyway.

If Tedder didn't get a credit for writing the chorus melody for EBW, then stuff like this doesn't surprise me. If they didn't credit people like Eno and Lanois in the past, or Dallas for his role in part of the effect for SUC, or the Pop samples and so on, I'm not too worried about it as a listener at this point. That's just me though.

trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote