Summer of Love - Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This or Love is bigger... needs to be a single.

I agree.

Love is Bigger would have made a nice 2nd single followed in the Spring by Summer of Love.

Unlike many here, I have no issue with GOOYOW being a single bit it’s not the best option at this point.

There's a remix of Summer Of Love that's been played on the BBC too, haven't heard it myself yet though:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/tracks/n4jpmr

Edit:

Okay, it was apparently played on Radio 1:

Is that an official remix sanctioned by the band? It’s okay but nothing special.

The remixes for SOE have been very underwhelming ....

Best Thing by Kygo- this is an average remix that when compared to the below remixes sounds like Stairway to Heaven 6/10

Summer of Love Tilt- the beat is cool but doesn’t really sync with the song and
Bono’s vocal delivery(something seems off) 5/10

Blackout by Jacknife- I mean, did they leave a Nintendo on in the background when recording it? 2/10

GOOYOW Switch - Not really a remix but more of a random techno beat that has the GOOYOW chorus in it 1x. 1/10

Last edited:
Is that an official remix sanctioned by the band? It’s okay but nothing special.

The remixes for SOE have been very underwhelming ....

Best Thing by Kygo- this is an average remix that when compared to the below remixes sounds like Stairway to Heaven 6/10

Summer of Love Tilt- the beat is cool but doesn’t really sync with the song and
Bono’s vocal delivery(something seems off) 5/10

Blackout by Jacknife- I mean, did they leave a Nintendo on in the background when recording it? 2/10

GOOYOW Switch - Not really a remix but more of a random techno beat that has the GOOYOW chorus in it 1x. 1/10

Almost every remix they've ever done has that annoying follow the bouncing ball repetitive rhythm. It's almost unfathomable that so many could be so unlistenable. A remix doesn't have to be utterly redundant.

Best Thing by Kygo may be the best remix they've ever had.

Last edited:
I really don't think there is a bad song on SOE, but this one just hasn't clicked with me to the same level that it seems to with many on this site. I'd actually rank this closer to the bottom of the list of my favorites on SOE.

The positives: Beautiful melody, lyrics, and strings toward the end of the song. Great guitar work.

Negatives: That edit in the bridge is inexcusable. It is so jarring and I can't believe it slipped under the radar and made the album. I strongly dislike the bellowing contributed by Lady Gaga. It just comes from out of nowhere and again is pretty jarring to my ears. I think U2 should have either kept her vocals as they were originally described as a "massive prechorus," or dumped her vocals all together. Edge could very easily have provided backing vocals if they were only going to use "luhuhuhuove."

That being said, I do find myself singing along when it pops up on my stereo and I do enjoy it. A question to anyone who bought the vinyl: is the poor editing on the bridge on the vinyl as well? I own it but my turntable is shot so I'm waiting for my new one to be delivered.

A good song with powerful lyrics; however, the song is too repetitive with that cool, yet irritating guitar riff and Bono's fatiguing rhyme scheme, "freezing, leaving, believing." Bono needs a reminder that every line does not need to rhyme or be filled up with words. Give the music more room to breathe. This song and American Soul are the only two on the record that I cannot and do not want to listen to on repeat.

Bono needs a reminder that every line does not need to rhyme or be filled up with words. Give the music more room to breathe.

I wonder if any of the numerous producers / collaborators they have worked with in the past 10 years have had the guts to tell Bono this? Its so damn obvious and a no-brainer improvement he could make.

I've been thinking 'bout some Legos
Just the kind like everyone knows
Building a robot with a red nose
Just two more pieces for two big toes
Two big toes, oh ohhhh

I've been thinking about some nachoooos
Yeah the kind that everyone knoooows
Melted cheese and jalapenoooos
One more chip before my belt gooooes
What a bummer, I'm stuuuu---uuuffed

Jolly good show.

I love this tune! For me it's the second best song on the album after Lights of Home.

Be great to hear it live (hint hint)

New remixes out on Spotify and likely elsewhere. I love the last track of the EP (the Hoeger Rusty Egan something or other mix). They might play it stripped down like this Inn Europe with Edge on piano.

I'm not a big fan of remixes and after the LIBTAIIW blast last months I was sceptic about the new Summer of Love remixes... I was positively surprised by the new mixes! Only The Howie B. one to me is a little bit too long, and could be better in the edit. Rest sounds just perfect. The perfecto mix is a redo of the Lemon perfecto mix, which was and still sounds pretty good . The fourth remix is a nice approach and still holding the sound of the song strong. Only need one remix from this one: The Beck version. After that stop with new remixes of this song please.

So do any of the remixes make it so you can actually hear Lady Gaga singing?

Not sure what the point was of having her come into the studio, the band could have actually benefited from her presence had she been more prominent in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom