Summer of Love - Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's the bit at 0:28 that's more 'eye brow raising' as that's the guitar lick.

The vocals/melody from 1:18 on, prior to the West Coast part at 1:32, sounds as much like California Dreamin' to my ears.

Um... is this for real? Is this a One Republic riff married to a One Republic chorus?

I mean, wouldn't One Republic be credited if that was the case? Like the HAIM sisters were for Lights Of Home?

Tedder did produce the song. Isn't it possible he just had some unfinished recordings on his laptop or whatever? The clip was only uploaded in 2016, when by all accounts most of the album was finished anyway.

I'd hope so. I like the riff, but if it isn't Edge's I'd like that acknowledged. Like you say it's possible it's the other dude fiddling with Edge's riff.
The West Coast bit - again I'm pretty miffed if that's not Bono's but the author isn't acknowledged. It's the main hook of the song.

For what it's worth, Scott and Scott mentioned that one of the songs they heard back in 2015 they were writing "for someone else" ... could have been this one.

I think this could be a successful single. It's short, catchy and goes down easy.

Without anyone even realizing what it's about. Which makes it genius in addition to being beautiful and brilliant. On auto repeat with One Flag Day and its Aleppo wail.

It is a pretty great and infectious riff, so while it would be nice if it was indeed Edge's, if it's not, ah well. Though as someone pointed out, most if not all of the album was done by 2016, so it's possible, they were messing around. However, the music seems to be credited to U2, unlike Lights of Home, which borrows the riff from Haim's My Song 5 for the verses (and that's a killer riff) and Haim are credited. But don't producers contributes melodies/ideas all the time, however for NLOTH, Eno and Lanois were credited on many tracks.

The lyrics are definitely Bono's though. But nonetheless, it's one of my favorites on SOE so far.

Last edited:
Is anyone else bothered by U2 using what appears to be a One Republic song, one which Ryan Tedder deemed not good enough to make their last album? And why are they only credited as producers of the song when it appears they wrote the guitar hook and the vocal melody?

Kind of a shame if Edge didn't write the riff for Summer of Love, it's a fun riff, maybe the best one on the album (not that it has much competition).

I mean, wouldn't One Republic be credited if that was the case? Like the HAIM sisters were for Lights Of Home?

Tedder did produce the song. Isn't it possible he just had some unfinished recordings on his laptop or whatever? The clip was only uploaded in 2016, when by all accounts most of the album was finished anyway.
Entirely possible.

The song Tedder mentions in the video that includes the summer of love guitar riff is Colors.

Colors WAS released by One Republic, and it sounds nothing like summer of love.

It's possible that this confusion is the result of some shoddy editing.

I'm not bothered that it was a One Republic demo or parts of maybe a couple of songs at some point by them. It barely sounds like that group anyways. I think I would be more bothered if U2 tried to create a "Counting Stars" or something in that vein in order to get a hit by having Tedder on board. I'm sure in past albums other producers or other personnel they've worked with have come up with bits of music or a melody and we're none the wiser since there isn't a video clip of it somewhere.

I don't love the song. I don't give a shit if they stole it by knifepoint... Let U2 do U2.

I feel musicians and stand up comedians bitch about "stealing" when 95% of the time it's coincidence. There's only so many cords and there's obvious jokes every comic makes about the same topics.

I was listening to this song today on a good stereo. Man, the sound is so sweet. I can really appreciate the guitar and when the strings come in later in the song. I may be in the minority, but I'd love to hear a whole album of this type of U2....very atmospheric and groovy.

...IF the main guitar lick AND the chorus are Tedder's, or One Republic's, and they got a producer credit but no songwriting credit, then in my opinion, we are being sold something false. This song is KEY to the new U2 album, but if it's a One Republic song, and THAT'S why it sounds so refreshingly different, then , in my opinion, it reflects on the current creative process of U2.

Tedder/One Republic should get songwriting credit if it's their chorus, their riff. Just like Tedder should have gotten songwriting credit for his amazing chorus in EBW. That chorus is what lifts that song to a higher gear, it's wonderful! But U2 didn't write it.

If the songwriting credit was "U2/One Republic", or "U2/Tedder" on BOTH tracks, it would be more honest, IMHO

...IF the main guitar lick AND the chorus are Tedder's, or One Republic's, and they got a producer credit but no songwriting credit, then in my opinion, we are being sold something false. This song is KEY to the new U2 album, but if it's a One Republic song, and THAT'S why it sounds so refreshingly different, then , in my opinion, it reflects on the current creative process of U2.

Tedder/One Republic should get songwriting credit if it's their chorus, their riff. Just like Tedder should have gotten songwriting credit for his amazing chorus in EBW. That chorus is what lifts that song to a higher gear, it's wonderful! But U2 didn't write it.

If the songwriting credit was "U2/One Republic", or "U2/Tedder" on BOTH tracks, it would be more honest, IMHO

Except we don't know the whole story. Don't you think Tedder would kill for a writing credit on a U2 album? And do you really think he'd be bragging about how killer(or however he said it) this track's going to be and then not put it on his own album?

What’s the deal with this song? Did U2 write it or not?

Personally, I think so as they were giving songs to their producers throughout 2015 to work on and then give back.

At least that is what I want to believe

Except we don't know the whole story. Don't you think Tedder would kill for a writing credit on a U2 album? And do you really think he'd be bragging about how killer(or however he said it) this track's going to be and then not put it on his own album?

Not sure because he should have had a writing credit on EBW without question!

Also, I know there aren't many Ryan Tedder fans on here, but Tedder has written multiple hit songs for other artists that he has not recorded himself. He's kind of on a roll, like Brian Wilson in the 60's, Springsteen in the 70's, Prince in the 80's where he is writing more hit songs than he himself can use.

Also, I know there aren't many Ryan Tedder fans on here, but Tedder has written multiple hit songs for other artists that he has not recorded himself. He's kind of on a roll, like Brian Wilson in the 60's, Springsteen in the 70's, Prince in the 80's where he is writing more hit songs than he himself can use.

But he's writing it specifically for that purpose. Some in here were bitching because "it's a One Republic song that didn't even make the album".

Tedder is such a genius he wrote “One” for U2 when he was three years old. Couldn’t claim a writing credit because of child labor laws.

What’s the deal with this song? Did U2 write it or not?

Personally, I think so as they were giving songs to their producers throughout 2015 to work on and then give back.

At least that is what I want to believe

Back
Top Bottom