submarine/gasoline rhyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The premise of this thread is bullshit. Context is the key, my friend.

It doesn't have to be spectacular.

this. You are seriously fucking deluded if you think you can make any informed or valuable critique of a song based on 2 FUCKING WORDS.

You, in the 80s he rhymed rose with bows, and rain with again.

Grow up and start a real thread

Alright...which "real thread" should I start:

"I met BRian Eno today and he says he likes it!"
"Mercy - is it on the album?"
"Their best work ever!"
"What do you think it will sound like?"
"(SPECULATION) Which song will you like best?"

I saw a thread a few days ago where people were speculating which songs they would be surprised by and disappointed by. Was that thread locked?

At least my thread has verifiable lyrics in it.

u2 have always been about the sound anyway............who cares about lyrics.:ohmy:

agree with some of you on here that bono's lyrics could have been written by my six year old daughter. he needs to try a little harder.

dressed up like a car crash................:|

I've always liked the imagery there. Stay contains a number of his finest lyrics.

Honestly, I don't even care if the lyrics are mediocre on NLOTH. As long as they don't sabotage the music or make me cringe repeatedly, I'm content. The rhythm of the words and the quality of the music itself is far more important to me.

so that is your argument; "Bono sucks, because dan can' t do poetry?"

Seriously mate, you need to start collecting stamps or something

No, my point is that if you can't provide an example in which these two very awkward words can be artfully rhymed, then you are the one making the thread pointless. As much as every other thread here.

Alright...which "real thread" should I start:

"I met BRian Eno today and he says he likes it!"
"Mercy - is it on the album?"
"Their best work ever!"
"What do you think it will sound like?"
"(SPECULATION) Which song will you like best?"

I saw a thread a few days ago where people were speculating which songs they would be surprised by and disappointed by. Was that thread locked?

At least my thread has verifiable lyrics in it.

Beiwve me, that is all your thread offers. Plus, it is in 4 other threads already. If the lyrics are bad, I'll be right behind you. But the CONTEXT of this situation is that we have 2 words. And don't resort to trashing other threads to justify your lame excuse for an arguement. If there is no solid info, there's not much to discuss

dressed up like a car crash................:|

it's funny how lyrics and music can be so loved by some and so detested by others. i've always liked this line---it's so absurdly perfect.

"one man's blood is another man's poison." :shrug:

I've always liked the imagery there. Stay contains a number of his finest lyrics.

Honestly, I don't even care if the lyrics are mediocre on NLOTH. As long as they don't sabotage the music or make me cringe repeatedly, I'm content. The rhythm of the words and the quality of the music itself is far more important to me.

stay is a good song and contains some of his better lyrics........just throwing that one out there. the problem a lot of time is that bono tries to rhyme everything. it doesn't always work.:hyper::up:

it's funny how lyrics and music can be so loved by some and so detested by others. i've always liked this line---it's so absurdly perfect.

"one man's blood is another man's poison." :shrug:

I agree. I think Zooropa was Bono's last high point.

Absolutely. The imagery in Stay is beautiful. I also like the following lyrics:

Three o'clock in the morning
It's quiet and there's no one around
Just the bang and the clatter
As an angel runs to ground

No, my point is that if you can't provide an example in which these two very awkward words can be artfully rhymed, then you are the one making the thread pointless. As much as every other thread here.

This album is going to suck because Adam has a fringe.

Just as valid as your arguement. You are as guilty as everyone else for derailing this forum by posting ludicrous speculation based ok two words. You are digging a deeper hole my friend

Let me take a stab at some rhyming....this is from a song that I came up with while on the can. The working title is "Waaaaaaaaaaah"

This is yet another thread that fucking sucks

and so is the fact that I paid Interference fifteen bucks!

We're bitching and moaning about songs we haven't heard

I can't fucking wait till March third

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Suuuuubmarine
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Gaaaaasoline

somebody toss me a beer!

discuss.

:lock:

original.aspx

This could be a fun lighthearted thread in which we take the piss out of Bono's er...not quite so high points. Seriously, we don't have to worship the man. After some of his duds this decade, we don't even have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I praise Bono's lyrics when they are good - and cringe also when appropriate.

Exibit A: a SINGLE entitled "Get On Your Boots"... makes Stop (The Poverty) sound inspired.

Exibit B: _______________________submarine
____________________________gasoline

There is no lipstick for that pig. (apologies to Sarah Palin)

Even "Get Your Boots On" would be leagues better. It rolls off the tongue. "Get On Your Boots"? Awkward, boring, ugh. Not exactly "catchy."

Why not:

"You Don't Know (How Beautiful You Are)"?

Dude, its been done before on a billion other threads in more appropriate forums.

If you want to go down that route then I'd suggest you'd choose another forum. As it stands this thread seems more about causing a stir and less about making a point. Its like you're searching for a fight. The sad thing is that everyone must be bored because they are lowering themselves to your level and responding to the call.

BTW, I find your profile name sort of ironic.

EDIT: I'm referring to iota BTW

Ok guys enough with the bashing of each other in this thread. Stick to the topic, and if you don't like it, participate in a different thread. If there is any reason the thread will be closed it will be because the majority of it isn't close to being on topic.

Dude, its been done before on a billion other threads in more appropriate forums.

If you want to go down that route then I'd suggest you'd choose another forum. As it stands this thread seems more about causing a stir and less about making a point. Its like you're searching for a fight. The sad thing is that everyone must be bored because they are lowering themselves to your level and responding to the call.

BTW, I find your profile name sort of ironic.

EDIT: I'm referring to iota BTW

What's to get pissed off about?

We know for a fact that Bono rhymes submarine with gasoline. He also rhymes life with life.

There are those who are prepared to say such a thing could be brilliant.

I find this absurd and am challenging anyone who thinks otherwise (in all lightheartedness) to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom