Steve Lillywhite on Jay Mohr Podcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far he has said:

Bono's really written some great lyrics on the new album.
They go into when Bono has something to say he really finds a great way to say it but when Bono doesnt, well... he just kind of goofs off. Steve then says that people generally dont take well to U2 goofing off. So atleast U2 is aware of it. Is serious U2 back?

A side tidbit I found interesting,

Lillywhite sped up the tape for Shadows and Tall Trees. Might be why Bono sounds like a girl on it.

Im actually listening to Shadows and Tall Trees right now on Windows Media Player slowed down to about .958 from 1.0. Seemed to be the sweet spot. The guitar has a mean growl to it that seems lost in the sped up Lillywhite version. Vocals are way more interesting as well. It just opens up the song way more. Weird.

Jay Mohr is an idiot.

"Abbey Road is perfect. If you can lead off with Maxwell's Silver Hammer and not lose people, you know you've got something. Maxwell's Silver Hammer is the first song on that, right? And it's fucking Ringo!"

Wow. Dude. You don't deserve to sit down with Steve Lillywhite for an hour and a half.

Jay Mohr is an idiot.

"Abbey Road is perfect. If you can lead off with Maxwell's Silver Hammer and not lose people, you know you've got something. Maxwell's Silver Hammer is the first song on that, right? And it's fucking Ringo!"

Wow. Dude. You don't deserve to sit down with Steve Lillywhite for an hour and a half.

Yikes.

Jay Mohr is an idiot.

Mohr is a huge U2 fan and adores Bono, so I can forgive him this.

Plus, he may have been thinking about the movie surrounding the last two Beatles' albums, "Let It Be". The song appears there and Morh may have been confused.

That said, this is a McCartney track (and a "granny track" at that, despite some of the deeper, if not horrifying, lyrics). To confuse McCartney with Ringo is quite odd. Ringo's big contribution to "Abbey Road" is one of my least favorite songs, "Octopus' Garden". Sounds like something that should have been a deeply buried b-side.

You don't have to tell me, man. All of that is common knowledge. I would think that most people that post on a music related message board have the Abbey Road track list basically memorized, and can tell you the stories behind the songs, who composed which song, etc.

It's the fucking Beatles. This is god damn Life 101. This is required shit. As far as I'm concerned, you're a lower class citizen if you don't know the Beatles' catalogue and history by heart.

Yeah, give me a break. The notion that Mohr mixed up the song order of Abbey Road, one of the most popular albums of all time, with the Let It Be movie, which isn't even available to buy and hasn't been for ages, is reaching. Come Together is also one of the most memorable album openers.

Regardless, Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a piece of poop.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because he knows what Maxwell's silver hammer is, but the fact that he thought it was a Ringo song really just kind of negates all of that.

Found myself having anxiety issues during that interview lol because Lillywhite kept starting stories about a song or whatever and they would go on about something else instead. I'm like fucking tell us the story ya knobs!!!:angry:

Im actually listening to Shadows and Tall Trees right now on Windows Media Player slowed down to about .958 from 1.0. Seemed to be the sweet spot. The guitar has a mean growl to it that seems lost in the sped up Lillywhite version. Vocals are way more interesting as well. It just opens up the song way more. Weird.

I can actually cut Lillywhite a break here (I am not a huge fan of his). Slow it down, speed it up, whatever...it's probably the worst U2 song that ever made it onto a U2 album. Not much he could do to help it.

I can actually cut Lillywhite a break here (I am not a huge fan of his). Slow it down, speed it up, whatever...it's probably the worst U2 song that ever made it onto a U2 album. Not much he could do to help it.

lol there are worse songs IMO. is that all? Peace on Earth, One step closer. All these are darker shades of brown:lol:

You don't have to tell me, man. All of that is common knowledge. I would think that most people that post on a music related message board have the Abbey Road track list basically memorized, and can tell you the stories behind the songs, who composed which song, etc.

It's the fucking Beatles. This is god damn Life 101. This is required shit. As far as I'm concerned, you're a lower class citizen if you don't know the Beatles' catalogue and history by heart.

Apparently I have failed Life 101, and I'm a lower class citizen.

lol there are worse songs IMO. is that all? Peace on Earth, One step closer. All these are darker shades of brown:lol:

Those songs at least contain some sophistication of production and nuanced, heartfelt vocals. POE also has that nice watery guitar sound and great drum work.

Shadows is unmemorable.

Those songs at least contain some sophistication of production and nuanced, heartfelt vocals. POE also has that nice watery guitar sound and great drum work.

Shadows is unmemorable.

All about opinions but i'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than listen to Peace on Earth.

I assume this is tongue-deeply buried-in-cheek. Because I couldn't even rattle off all of the lead songs on U2 albums.

My main thing was confusing Ringo and Paul. That part is odd.

But I like Mohr. :)

i'm related to ringo starr and i don't even know their catalogue by heart. what's that make me?

Yeah, give me a break. The notion that Mohr mixed up the song order of Abbey Road, one of the most popular albums of all time, with the Let It Be movie, which isn't even available to buy and hasn't been for ages, is reaching. Come Together is also one of the most memorable album openers.

Regardless, Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a piece of poop.

It's one explanation how Mohr could mix it up. Paul = Ringo is more bizzare.

I used to skip the song for years... it's pretty interesting Paul had that kind of lyric in him.

Yeah, lower class citizens of the world unite. :rockon:

All about opinions but i'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than listen to Peace on Earth.

:lol: I don't mind One Step Closer myself, but POE is definitely my least favorite off of ATYCLB. Just never did anything for me.

I haven't heard Shadows in quite some time, so I'll have to give that another listen before making any judgments on it.

Also, that the band used the song to end the album is telling of how special it is. But of course, different people = different tastes.

Back
Top Bottom