Steve Lillywhite: Best U2 album - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Some of us have been fans since 1983 and joined the blessed, holier than thou community of interference at the start of the 2000's.

Shame on us.

But it's great that you know everything about everyone here.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 AM   #107
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:44 PM
Uh, I'm not sure where in my post I said said anything about "everyone" or really said anything about anyone in particular.

However, I'm not just talking about this thread. It was a general statement about what many of the threads in this particular forum turn into and it's basically the same small group of people rehashing the same things over and over again.

I'm not sure why speculation about the new album always has to be reduced so many times into to why the last two albums suck. Haven't we spent the last 7 or 8 years already dissecting that topic over and over and over and over again? Isn't U2 worth giving the benefit of the doubt to, at least until the album comes out and then everyone can criticize away.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #108
Refugee

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin rose View Post

I'm not sure why speculation about the new album always has to be reduced so many times into to why the last two albums suck. Haven't we spent the last 7 or 8 years already dissecting that topic over and over and over and over again? Isn't U2 worth giving the benefit of the doubt to, at least until the album comes out and then everyone can criticize away.
Thank you, please!
Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #109
The Fly

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rihannsu View Post
Wow! This is exactly what I've been trying to get at. I've been amazed at the seeming lack of goodwill towards the band in a forum supposedly composed of hard core fans. I find casual fans much more forgiving of the band and much more willing to take them at their word or give them the benefit of the doubt. But so many on this board jump to the worst possible conclusions on the flimsiest scraps of information seeming almost eager for the band to crash and burn.

Dana
I think it was Bono who said that the opposite of love is "apathy" and not "hate". For me this explains why so many of us attack them. It's because we love them!
A friend of my husband's and I were having this discussion yesterday. The friend is a huge fan of a band called Between the Buried and Me(an obscure prog metal act) and he couldn't understand why so many of their fans attack them.
The fact that we are still discussing and care about this band (U2) says alot. I remember the first U2 album I bought in 1983. It was on a vacation with my family in Ireland and the only cassettes they had at this little gas station were irish folk bands and U2's War. The lady who sold me that cassette couldn't believe that I was an American and that I had heard of U2!
The point is - we care!