Steve Lillywhite: Best U2 album - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
The Beatles
Please Please Me (1963)
With The Beatles (1963)
A Hard Day's Night (1964)
Beatles for Sale (1964)
Help! (1965)
Rubber Soul (1965)
Revolver (1966)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
The Beatles ("The White Album") (1968)
Yellow Submarine (1969)
Abbey Road (1969)
Let It Be (1970)

The Who--not counting the newest album
My Generation (1965)
A Quick One (1966)
The Who Sell Out (1967)
Tommy (1969)
Who's Next (1971)
Quadrophenia (1973)
The Who By Numbers (1975)
Who Are You (1978)
Face Dances (1981)
It's Hard (1982)

U2--the first twenty years
Boy (1980)
October (1981)
War (1983)
The Unforgettable Fire (1984)
The Joshua Tree (1987)
Rattle and Hum (1988)
Achtung Baby (1991)
Zooropa (1993)
Passengers (1995)
Pop (1997)
All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)

Other bands have done it (and I'm sure there are plenty more great bands who've done it that I don't feel like researching), and U2 has done it.

Sure, you can also look at the Stones who put out an album every 1-3 years for twenty-some-odd years and say that a third of those were purely crap. You can also say that the older a band gets, as the rest of their lives flesh out more and more, there's less time for writing music, etc. And I know that this "why are they taking four years" discussion has run its course several times over on the boards. All I'm saying is that if they're actually having several jam/brainstorming/recording sessions and scrapping them all several times over, that's just a little suspect.
Led Zeppelin (1969)
Led Zeppelin II (1969)
Led Zeppelin III (1970)
Led Zeppelin IV (1971)
Houses of the Holy (1973)
Physical Graffiti (1975)
Presence (1977)
In Through the Out Door (1979)

toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #62
Babyface

Local Time: 10:14 PM
just prior to the release of HTDAAB bill flanagan said that it was U2's best album.............

don't believe the hype.
end thread.

frank0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #63
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:14 PM
Bill didn't work on every album since day one.

Apples to oranges...
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Some people are still asking when the promotion for the new album will begin.
It has already begun, all of these people are in full promo mode.
There is no promotion without hyping, understatement isn't the right instrument here.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #65
The Fly

Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rihannsu View Post
It's absolutely comical that anyone can call multiplatinum realeases failures. Most bands would kill for some consider U2's flops.
You're right about that.
However, I think that U2 has the same problem that Tiger Woods has.
U2 have set such lofty standards for themselves and have risen to such great heights in the past that anything they do which doesn't rise as high as some of their past efforts is considered to be a failure in comparison.
Tiger Woods has the same problem: He may have a year where he ends the year ranked number one in the world and wins 8 tournaments and has more success by far than any other golfer, but if he didn't win a major championship that year, most people say that he had a flop year, when the truth is, just like you said, anyone else would kill to have that same level of success.

I think it's great that U2 has set the bar so high and try to create a musical masterpiece every single time, but the main reason why even some of their most ardent supporters will call their albums flops is because of the almost insanely high standards that U2 have set for themselves.
TheFirstBigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #66
War Child

Local Time: 09:14 PM
i don't think you can consider Eno's or Lillywhite's comments mere hype or promotion...most casual fans and the record buying public do not even know who the heck these people are...the fact that Eno thinks a particular song is the best they have ever recorded, or that Lillywhite praises the album as their best work is only significant to hardcore fans, who will buy the album regardless.

i believe Eno and Lillywhite have made these comments solely because of their excitement over the music and the art of making music, and not to advance the commercial interests of the band...at least that's the optimistic view.
purpleblackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Anyway, didn't Eno think Stuck was going to be their biggest song ever?
JOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:14 PM
He made a bet with Bono it would be U2's biggest US hit.
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #69
Refugee

Do Eno and Lanois have a bigger slice of the pie this time around (in terms of songwriting royalties)?
Slapnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #70
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:14 PM
I thought McGuinness was the money crazed looney
or is it everyone related to the band now
it gets so confusing
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #71
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
I thought McGuinness was the money crazed looney
or is it everyone related to the band now
it gets so confusing
Money crazed is a tad strong.

I love money.
Slapnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie

After Atomic Bomb I pretty much decided not to get hyped for the next album because I'd most likely be let down. From all the pre-album quotes from the band and producers it's pretty easy to get yourself psyched out if you try hard enough, and I do think a lot of the hardcore fans here try pretty hard to do that. convince themselves that U2 will turn their career around 25 years later and suddenly become extremely intriguing after two less than overwhelming albums. Bands don't do that. If U2 can do it I'll be amazed.

So pretty much I've taught myself not to care what these guys are saying whatsover. We heard all of this before Atomic Bomb. We heard the songs were fresh and amazing, we heard it was their best collection of songs ever, we heard it was going to be like U2's first record ever. It doesn't mean anything whatsoever. Bands burn out as they get older. It's always the same. If you can find me an example of a rock band that released one of their best workes 28 years into their career that would be new to me.
shart1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Bill didn't work on every album since day one.

Apples to oranges...
Do you have to work on an album to know how good it is?

I guess only Bono was qualified to say Window In The Skies was U2's best song ever. A song for the ages.

Put bluntly, that song sucks.
shart1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:14 PM
i mean, how does U2 win here? by not promoting the album at all? it's not even the band talking. it's the producers. wasn't it bono going nuts with the quotes last time? and to be totally honest, all his quotes were dead on. visceral album. it was by far their most direct album. whether or not you like that or not, whatever. i enjoy atomic bomb a ton myself. if you don't enjoy it, that's fine. no skin off my back.

i don't recall anybody saying bomb was U2's best album before its release. i think Bono may have said best album since achtung baby? or up there with AB? something along those lines. but that was Bono too. And maybe he believes that himself. whats to stop him from thinking that?

Either way, it's one of the mixers and producers that have worked with U2 basically their whole career. it sounds promising to me. if the album stinks, whatever. i doubt it will and i expect it to be great - which is what I expect out of U2. Not because the producer or mixer or sound engineer said it was going to be excellent.
popacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #75
The Fly

Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shart1780 View Post
Bands burn out as they get older. It's always the same. If you can find me an example of a rock band that released one of their best workes 28 years into their career that would be new to me.
How many bands have been together for 28 years? Not many. Therefore, you're inquiry/regarding about which bands have released one of the best works after 28 years is, at best, based on an artificial, contrived premise. Nevertheless, Bruce Springsteen (Magic) and Bob Dylan (Modern Times) have released great records, well into their respective careers.

clipper699 is offline   Reply With Quote