Steve Lillywhite: Best U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I think that was the plan from the start.... go to Morocco, capture the spirit, develop some ideas, and take those back to Dublin.

Yeah. It seems like one idea begets another idea, sometimes leading them to a new place entirely. I guess the trick is knowing when to stop!

u2 has never released a dud. Not in the same sense of the word as other bands.

u2 has never released a dud. Not in the same sense of the word as other bands.

Yeah, I mean I think I remember reading that Springsteen's follow up to Born in the USA didn't even go gold right away. It's absolutely comical that anyone can call multiplatinum realeases failures. Most bands would kill for some consider U2's flops.

Dana

:up: U2 skipping that Mandela Party thing to work on the new album.

Bono usually salivates over such occasions, which means there must have been some real commitment and focus towards completing the album. Very promising.

It BETTER be good if they keep hyping it up like this, or you'll have one pissed U2 fan over here​

I don't think they'll ever be able to top Achtung, sorry guys

Like ive said before as long as this album is the best since Achtung Baby I will be happy with whatever u2 releases for the next 10 years.

I honestly couldn't care less. Why should someone else's opinion damage yours? It certainly won't hurt sales, if that's what you're asking.

Exactly right... Every single person associated with this album can come out and praise it and I won't feel a shred of difference :shrug:

It won't affect my opinion, but do you really think a) this late in their career they can make their best album and b) the bigger the hype, the bigger the - potential - letdown.

This album already has a lot to live up to, and we didn't even hear anything yet.

Don't listen to the hype! See Dana's comment below... the only reason it'll let people like yourself down is if you listen to the hype.

Better than Achtung? We'll see... I'm reserving my judgment until I actually hear the thing.

You could judge it on it's own...

I would hope that hardcore fans would be more worried about whether they like the album itself rather than whether it lives up to someone else's hype.

Dana

:up: thirded

It BETTER be good if they keep hyping it up like this, or you'll have one pissed U2 fan over here​

I don't think they'll ever be able to top Achtung, sorry guys

I actually think the band is capable of that. That's why I'm so upset with it. U2 just has to be willing to go there -- to be that daring.

i'd be very surprised if this album were better than Achtung Baby, let alone The Joshua Tree. i'd be very satisfied with War or better, to be honest.

I'll believe it when I hear it. I'm not saying that out of doubt. I'm saying it because just about every artist/producer/PR person involved in the release of a new album will tell you "Oh, I think it is our/their best work". Right now, without really knowing much about it, I'm speculating it will be the best thing they've done since POP; meaning hopefully it will fall somewhere in my top 4 U2 albums...we'll just have to wait and see.

i'd be very surprised if this album were better than Achtung Baby, let alone The Joshua Tree. i'd be very satisfied with War or better, to be honest.

It will more than likely be way better than ATYCLB and Bomb, but I doubt it will be better than Achtung Baby and TJT.

I just don't see how after putting out 2 albums that their fans, and some of the band, find lukewarm, they're suddenly going to put out a killer record.
If they do, it's unparalled in rock music history. What other band has been around as long and then puts out an album that ranks among their best work?
That's right, no one has, ever.
If U2 does, it could very well be their finest moment to cap an already brilliant career.

It will more than likely be way better than ATYCLB and Bomb, but I doubt it will be better than Achtung Baby and TJT.

Ok, but I don't think that these quotes from Eno and Lillywhite are normal hype comments...I mean look, Eno, yes, Brian Eno, says that one of the tracks, Moment of Surrender, is the best thing he has ever recorded with U2...that's almost too much to take in...the best thing he has EVER recorded with u2?!?! Are you kidding me? And now Steve Lillywhite, the best U2 album? Out of all their other albums...this one is the best? Sure, everyone has an opinion, but these are very strong remarks from credible sources...It's leading me to believe that this album is going to be something truly special...Regardless of whether it's another masterpiece or not...I can't imagine this album being anything less than great....sure, it might be a disappointment, but regardless of these quotes, I'm still not going to feel "let down" if it's not better than AB or TJT...I'm not going to be expecting much, because if I expect a masterpiece, and it's not, I'll be extremely disappointed....but yeah, judging from these quotes, I wouldn't be surprised if this album is at AB/TJT quality :shrug:

Ok, but I don't think that these quotes from Eno and Lillywhite are normal hype comments...I mean look, Eno, yes, Brian Eno, says that one of the tracks, Moment of Surrender, is the best thing he has ever recorded with U2...that's almost too much to take in...the best thing he has EVER recorded with u2?!?! Are you kidding me? And now Steve Lillywhite, the best U2 album? Out of all their other albums...this one is the best? Sure, everyone has an opinion, but these are very strong remarks from credible sources...It's leading me to believe that this album is going to be something truly special...Regardless of whether it's another masterpiece or not...I can't imagine this album being anything less than great....sure, it might be a disappointment, but regardless of these quotes, I'm still not going to feel "let down" if it's not better than AB or TJT...I'm not going to be expecting much, because if I expect a masterpiece, and it's not, I'll be extremely disappointed....but yeah, judging from these quotes, I wouldn't be surprised if this album is at AB/TJT quality :shrug:

Exactly. :applaud:

While it does make sense to hype the latest work, there's no need to say "it's our best ever." you could just say "oh yeah it's awesome" and not compare to past works. So I think it's encouraging.

I've heard people close to the band saying "it's their best album ever" since Achtung Baby, ok they were right that time but never since.
That said I have a very very good feeling about this album.

I don't think these or any other comments will hurt or help the album, since I doubt that anyone really cares about this kind of stuff outside of the more obsessive section of U2 fandom.

Personally, I take them with a grain of salt because people who are directly involved into the making of the album can get quite wrapped up in their work and the excitement of of it all. I really doubt that, at this stage, they are capable of stepping away from the record and really weighing how it stacks up against the previous ones.

I think people need to calm down :wink: Once upon a time kids in the pre-internet age, you just didn't hear about anything from the band until the albums were being released and then they would hit the interview circuit. The only people hyping this record up are the fans endlessly talking about it!!!

I just don't see how after putting out 2 albums that their fans, and some of the band, find lukewarm, they're suddenly going to put out a killer record.
If they do, it's unparalled in rock music history. What other band has been around as long and then puts out an album that ranks among their best work?
If U2 does, it could very well be their finest moment to cap an already brilliant career.

True. It would probably be a first for a band their size. Another reason why I'll believe this hype when I hear it.

I would settle for something at least near JT/AB gladly, but from what they're saying this will be even better. I'm not worried about not liking it but I wouldn't like a bitter taste afterwards and thinking "This was worth the hype? Really?"

edit: as for releasing duds, yes they have.

ATYCLB is an interesting one in this regard. It's the closest thing to U2's 3rd classic. It has that high a level of adoration from many U2 fans and many critics. Will be interesting to see how ATYCLB is viewed in another 10 years time.

It is fascinating to note how the placements of both Bomb and ATYCLB have shifted over the last few years. Bomb appears (at this point) to be descending slowly, while ATYCLB is slowly ascending. I think ATYCLB reaches solid 2nd-tier status of a U2 album (not quite JT/AB but up there with UF). Bomb, on the other hand, probably ranks with their worst works when taken as a whole. It just doesn't come together and succeed as an album, and the band have said as much. With the next one, I'm expecting ATYCLB quality at least (although more experimental) and hoping for something greater. But if doesn't reach 2nd-tier level (whatever album(s) that may constitute for you personally), I'll be disappointed.

ATYCLB is an interesting one in this regard. It's the closest thing to U2's 3rd classic. It has that high a level of adoration from many U2 fans and many critics. Will be interesting to see how ATYCLB is viewed in another 10 years time.

Ahem... how about War ? Fans and critics like it, and beside Zoo TV and American era the "boys with white flags" is their most memmorable and recognisable era.

Ahem... how about War ? Fans and critics like it, and beside Zoo TV and American era the "boys with white flags" is their most memmorable and recognisable era.

War's in that same kinda category, "3rd classic", but I doubt popular regard for War is goinna change much, while ATYCLB is still comparatively young in it's life.

I think it will be incredibly hard for any album to join JT and AB as first-rank U2 classics. Because albums don't become "classics" on the strength of music alone - it's ultimately about the right album being released at the right time and hitting the right spot with the critics/public etc. And though it's something that looks totally inevitable afterwards, this "clicking" is something that no one can really control.

I dunno....I was thinking that this album already, just by the two quotes from Eno and Lillywhite, has been hyped too much and that we (or some of us) will be let down. Why? Because the internet is a double edged sword; on one hand, it's exciting to get drips of info rolling in from time to time. On the other, JT and AB knocked me on my ass because I didn't know anything about them before they came out....it wasn't until I saw the videos for the first singles on MTV (LOL) that I even knew U2 had a new album out.

I've heard some clips....to me there was nothing there that was special. But I know that those were just short clips that could've changed alot. But, when I heard the beach clips from HTDAAB, which I think were LAPOE, ABOY, Vertigo, and MD, I thought "wow, this sounds alot different than ATYCLB". But then when the album came out, they didn't seem that different. Maybe that's a good thing since it's the opposite.....I dunno.

I'd prefer no more quotes from anyone; nothing. Just drop the single in Sept. and the album in Oct. and let it be great.

No more hype.

I dunno....I was thinking that this album already, just by the two quotes from Eno and Lillywhite, has been hyped too much and that we (or some of us) will be let down. Why? Because the internet is a double edged sword; on one hand, it's exciting to get drips of info rolling in from time to time. On the other, JT and AB knocked me on my ass because I didn't know anything about them before they came out....it wasn't until I saw the videos for the first singles on MTV (LOL) that I even knew U2 had a new album out.

I've heard some clips....to me there was nothing there that was special. But I know that those were just short clips that could've changed alot. But, when I heard the beach clips from HTDAAB, which I think were LAPOE, ABOY, Vertigo, and MD, I thought "wow, this sounds alot different than ATYCLB". But then when the album came out, they didn't seem that different. Maybe that's a good thing since it's the opposite.....I dunno.

I'd prefer no more quotes from anyone; nothing. Just drop the single in Sept. and the album in Oct. and let it be great.

No more hype.

That is why I didn't even bother with the latest recording/clip or whatever! I do not want to be spoiled and have really high expectations because the demo sounded cool and then be disappointed later! I'm gonna try my best to not listen to any soundbites. Just gonna pretend that it's 1991 or something and I'll get the album when it comes out and listen to it! Some discussion is okay but do we really need this many threads??? We overhype it ourselves and then get disappointed! :down:

Some discussion is okay but do we really need this many threads???

well of course there's going to be a lot of threads speculating about the new album... in the section of the forum devoted to speculating about the new album.
:der:

Back
Top Bottom