Steve Averill Q & A - 2 seperate Albums and re-issue of the complete backcatalogue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, this comes somewhat unexpectetly. First I was a bit shocked about the "Passengers" thing, but I must admit the more I think about it the more I like the thought. AS LONG as they put a "real" U2 album out as well, that's fine with me. If they go for the atmospheric sound and vocals of Passengers I, I'm really excited about this.

Sounds like a really good concept to me, to do both, but it also sounds like a whole lot of work. I just wonder how they would release both projects. :hmm:

shart1780 said:
IF this is true, which I'm still skeptical of, and this is like a Passengers Pt. 2 it will be a dream come true for me. Good grief I never in my wildest ddreams thought I'd hear of anything like this comng again. Did they lock Larry in the closet or what?

I hope they saved some creativity for their next big album, though.

Actually, Larry was very much down with going to Morocco and excited about the music made there.

Roy: I hope it will be like MDH and ATYCLB; the one released early in the year and the other in the usual Fall album time. But the band were excited about Morocco and haven't even talked about the other album...who knows. Will they continue to use Eno and Lanois then, and where is Rubin ?

Interesting though: wasn't it Edge, a while ago, that said that the Morocco material was a "U2 project" (even if they weren't worried at the time what it was called and when it comes out) ? Now here comes the change of that music definitely NOT being called or released under the name of U2...makes me wonder what it sounds like. I presume there's more to it than just thinking "Eno and Lanois co-wrote this so we can't call it U2".

The good part is this puts to rest all the "ATYCLB part III, greedy cash grabbers, no more experimenting, death of creativity" talk. The bad part is this could be less like MDH's U2 songs and more like Passengers; ie less focus on the music but more focus on self-indulgence.

One additional thing that occurs to me is that the takes that we've heard on the Daniel Lanois video certainly don't appear to be in the extremely experimental mode. The chorus being sung by Edge-Eno-Lanois-Bono is a very definitely catchy tune. Plus all the other comments from U2 and Lanois do point to it being a U2 release.

In any case I'd echo previous comments made in this thread - it doesn't matter who makes good art as long as it's exactly that - good. If the Spice Girls turned around and made the greatest album of all time, well then I think we'd all have to turn around and admit it regardless of the fact it was them.

What's perhaps more exciting is the fact that Lanois said that they had 11 songs for an album before they went to Fez and ended up working up more stuff, which in addition to the wonderful sounds on the video clip suggests they've got bucketloads of inspiration. It's all good.

Why don't we have one of the PLEBA people try to ask the band about all this stuff. Maybe they'll confirm it. Adam would be the most likely to say "yeah, we're working on 2 albums. One comes out in April 2008, the other in November 2008."

Earnie Shavers said:
...What really does get me excited about this news is not the chance of U2 swimming off on some adventure to the ends of the earth again, as per Passengers1, but just letting us hear whats going on in their heads when they're not splashing around in the shallows trying desperately to create these little nuggets of catchy pop. Remember - left field in comparison to Atomic Bomb is just letting a song meander a bit, or allowing a little subtle musicianship to tell some of the story, or lyrics aimed at people over the age of 13.
While I see what you're saying, I don't agree with the "shallows" analogy or describing their recent lyrics as being simplified for tee ny-boppers.

When describing their desire to write more accessible and popular music with their last two albums, Bono talked about the fact that they wanted to write music like the Beatles' best albums, whose music contained brilliance and depth while also having the catchy hooks that made them so popular. He also said that he had originally thought that Zooropa was an album like that, but when he went back and examined it later, he realized that it had musical depth but their popular songwriting discipline had failed them in terms of creating music that more people would enjoy listening to.

Music with depth can also be popular music at the same time, and I think that U2 have achieved that with at least some of the songs on their last two albums.

I don't see what the issue is.

Fuck, I get two brand new U2 albums within a year or two.

DOUBLE ALBUM

in the Lanois documentary, didn't he mention he was collaborating with U2 for THEIR next record? I don't know, I just really want a double album from the men...

Last edited:
TheFirstBigW said:

While I see what you're saying, I don't agree with the "shallows" analogy or describing their recent lyrics as being simplified for tee ny-boppers.

When describing their desire to write more accessible and popular music with their last two albums, Bono talked about the fact that they wanted to write music like the Beatles' best albums, whose music contained brilliance and depth while also having the catchy hooks that made them so popular. He also said that he had originally thought that Zooropa was an album like that, but when he went back and examined it later, he realized that it had musical depth but their popular songwriting discipline had failed them in terms of creating music that more people would enjoy listening to.

Music with depth can also be popular music at the same time, and I think that U2 have achieved that with at least some of the songs on their last two albums.

THANK YOU. I believe the last paragraph sums up U2's entire career. Pop(ular) music, but with depth.

I doubt the topics on the last two albums are specifically aimed at the teeny boppers, and certainly don't share the topics with vast majority of MTV-fied music.

TheFirstBigW said:

I HAVE NO BEEF WITH CATCHY/ACCESSIBLE/MEMORABLE POP. And I agree, done right, it's fantastic. I think U2 have hit the mark a couple of times, eg Beautiful Day, but I think more often than not, they've left the depth outside somewhere. I know it's all personal opinion, but the vast majority of these songs just don't hit me anywhere below the surface. A song like Vertigo satisfies on a few levels - it's good fun in the car when you're flying up the coast for a weekend away with friends, it's the sort of short catchy burst that radio loves, and it does go over brilliantly live. But that's all surface - once the song finishes, nothing has stuck to me. It doesn't do that dual thing that top % of great pop has, and that great U2 songs have.

'Swimming in the shallows' - I was also just referring to the songs being simplistic. Clever pop is the most difficult music to write, every single songwriter will tell you that, but song after song of it from U2 and you really start longing for something more from them. U2 in the 00's has no room for songs that have a subtlety to them, or do what they need to do to tell the story. Put the spirit and soul of the song as the highest priority above the hook and catchy riff. Have a look at what along with Beautiful Day is U2's greatest pop hit/success - With or Without You. Listen to the way the song builds, where and when it takes a change in structure or size, and then once you get there to where the climax should be, it just humbly backs out of the room. How do you think With or Without You would have been - in structure and sound - if it were written for the Bomb in 2004? How beautiful do you think songs like Sometimes and Original of the Species could have been if they were given the same space and room as With or Without You?

It's fine to like or love 00's pop-song era U2. It is - of course - fine to completely disagree with me on whether or not those songs have the same level of depth to them as their 80's and 90's output. But do you really want every song on every album to be a catchy hook laden 3 minute pop wonder? You don't long for the return of that other type of U2 song? I'd wager that if you listed your top 20 U2 tracks of all time, at least half of them would never stand a chance of making a Bomb-like albums tracklist. Never. Not because of the sound or theme, or because they may be 'experimental' or whatever, but because of the structure and depth to them. Whether the song was Lemon or Bad, Velvet Dress or Running to Stand Still - the sound, theme and level of 'experimentation' would stay the same, but the structure would dramatically change. They would never get on there as they currently are.

SO - that's my point. That's all it is. If U2 want U2 albums to continue to be this type of thing now, then that's fine, it would just be a real shame if there's no second avenue there for the sort of music U2 do so fucking well. Where Edge is given room to tell some of the story, not just play guitar god prop pumpin' out the riffs. Where Bono's lyrics are something that open up to you over time, perhaps years later when you find yourself in a very specific place, not split seconds as some kind of general anthem for some kind of fairly common day to day mood. Simplistic everyman general Bono lyrics backed by simplistic big Edge riffs are fine, please don't zero in on that - I'm not saying it's bad (nor was I ever suggesting that Bono was writing for teenagers) - it's just that albums like the Bomb have no room for anything else, and that's what this news has got me all excited over. The other U2. Not the 80s one or the 90s one as opposed to the 00s one, just the other one.

Earnie Shavers said:

I HAVE NO BEEF WITH CATCHY/ACCESSIBLE/MEMORABLE POP. And I agree, done right, it's fantastic. I think U2 have hit the mark a couple of times, eg Beautiful Day, but I think more often than not, they've left the depth outside somewhere. I know it's all personal opinion, but the vast majority of these songs just don't hit me anywhere below the surface. A song like Vertigo satisfies on a few levels - it's good fun in the car when you're flying up the coast for a weekend away with friends, it's the sort of short catchy burst that radio loves, and it does go over brilliantly live. But that's all surface - once the song finishes, nothing has stuck to me. It doesn't do that dual thing that top % of great pop has, and that great U2 songs have.

'Swimming in the shallows' - I was also just referring to the songs being simplistic. Clever pop is the most difficult music to write, every single songwriter will tell you that, but song after song of it from U2 and you really start longing for something more from them. U2 in the 00's has no room for songs that have a subtlety to them, or do what they need to do to tell the story. Put the spirit and soul of the song as the highest priority above the hook and catchy riff. Have a look at what along with Beautiful Day is U2's greatest pop hit/success - With or Without You. Listen to the way the song builds, where and when it takes a change in structure or size, and then once you get there to where the climax should be, it just humbly backs out of the room. How do you think With or Without You would have been - in structure and sound - if it were written for the Bomb in 2004? How beautiful do you think songs like Sometimes and Original of the Species could have been if they were given the same space and room as With or Without You?

It's fine to like or love 00's pop-song era U2. It is - of course - fine to completely disagree with me on whether or not those songs have the same level of depth to them as their 80's and 90's output. But do you really want every song on every album to be a catchy hook laden 3 minute pop wonder? You don't long for the return of that other type of U2 song? I'd wager that if you listed your top 20 U2 tracks of all time, at least half of them would never stand a chance of making a Bomb-like albums tracklist. Never. Not because of the sound or theme, or because they may be 'experimental' or whatever, but because of the structure and depth to them. Whether the song was Lemon or Bad, Velvet Dress or Running to Stand Still - the sound, theme and level of 'experimentation' would stay the same, but the structure would dramatically change. They would never get on there as they currently are.

SO - that's my point. That's all it is. If U2 want U2 albums to continue to be this type of thing now, then that's fine, it would just be a real shame if there's no second avenue there for the sort of music U2 do so fucking well. Where Edge is given room to tell some of the story, not just play guitar god prop pumpin' out the riffs. Where Bono's lyrics are something that open up to you over time, perhaps years later when you find yourself in a very specific place, not split seconds as some kind of general anthem for some kind of fairly common day to day mood. Simplistic everyman general Bono lyrics backed by simplistic big Edge riffs are fine, please don't zero in on that - I'm not saying it's bad (nor was I ever suggesting that Bono was writing for teenagers) - it's just that albums like the Bomb have no room for anything else, and that's what this news has got me all excited over. The other U2. Not the 80s one or the 90s one as opposed to the 00s one, just the other one.

Can you forward this to each member of the band please? They need to read it.

Thank you. :)

Well, since Bono says that With or Without You was headed for the trash bin before Gavin Friday rescued it and restructured it, then maybe they need to actually collaborate with him.

Dana

I want them to release the more pop-oriented album under the Passengers name (even if Passengers as it was didn't work on it, who cares, it's just a name), and something billed as perhaps U2+ or whatever lets them sleep at night for the Fez stuff. Throw us all for a loop. =D

rihannsu said:
Well, since Bono says that With or Without You was headed for the trash bin before Gavin Friday rescued it and restructured it, then maybe they need to actually collaborate with him.

Dana

If they need someone to go through their trash bins at a regular basis, I'm applying for this job!

:wink:

roy said:

What you mean like a mid-life crisis and death? :hmm:

"Hey Dad, this doesn't sound like anything on the radio." - Holly Evans upon listening to HTDAAB.

With Or Without You is the perfect U2 song. Miracle Drug wants badly to be With Or Without You but doesn't really come close, in my mind.

Earnie Shavers said:

This quote is relative... how?

In the sense of that it's said by a teenage girl that knows the music that is played on the radio and clearly aimed at a young audience. Short: U2's music is not specifically aimed at a young audience. Thank God it's not what we hear on the radio all the time. The music that is mostly played on popular radio stations makes me want new U2 songs really bad.

Catman said:
DOUBLE ALBUM

in the Lanois documentary, didn't he mention he was collaborating with U2 for THEIR next record? I don't know, I just really want a double album from the men...

Well, it might be fun to combine two potential projects into a single custom double - kind of like how some folks put the b-sides into JT to make a double.

no idea what's going to happen, but i think we're the closest we've been to a double album since 1986, and that has to be cause for celebration -- the fact that they've got at least two album's worth of material.

all i want is more music. i don't care if it's poppy, or not, or you just think it's poppy, or if it isn't filled with clunky-but-arty AB-era metaphors ("drown in your blue sea / fall at the foot of thee") and filled with say-what-i-mean-mean-what-i-say post-2000s era lyrics.

i just want the U2 project to continue, i want to know where they're going next, and i want to know what's the next stage in the ongoing Bono-quest for meaning in a broken world.

and i want lots of tickets to shows up and down the East Coast.

Zootlesque said:
With Or Without You is the perfect U2 song. Miracle Drug wants badly to be With Or Without You but doesn't really come close, in my mind.

You mean because of the similar bass line ?

Miracle Drug reminds me of UF-era U2. In a way it's like the Walk on off Bomb, ie the anthem single, but tries too hard to be epic. I think Kite - and COBL - do it better.
It goes up a notch in quality with Edge's verse and after the solo, though.

I'm not sure there's much use in saying "a song from the 00's is trying to be like the song from the 80's/90's". Different circumstances, different albums, different era of the band and different outset by the singer/man in charge of lyrics.

U2girl said:

You mean because of the similar bass line ?

Yeah it's a similar chord structure, but I don't think it's trying to be WOWY at all...

Lots of songs are going to end up with similar chord structures, just the nature of music.

Back
Top Bottom