Stealth Promotion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Im right that journalist on epxressen only likes U2 when they sound like JT...

I think we have to remember lost in translation here too - it's difficult if English is not your mother tongue to sometimes understand all the subtleties and complexities of other languages.

These journalists' ears will differ from native English speakers I'm sure - but it's their opinion and they are entitled to it - they only heard the album once and it sounds to me that the album is going to be great judging by all this.

Can't wait to get my first entire listen.

Oh my god, how good would a collaboration between U2 and Robert Plant be??!! I think I would just die of excitement and joy!! :drool:

Their publicist at Uni just told me that they're not doing many press interviews, that Q, NME, Hot Press and other friends of theirs have priority. After 10 years of waiting for an interview, it appears that patience is not always a virtue. I'm disappointed. Well, I guess I'll miss the listening party tomorrow and go to the film festival in France as planned.

Sorry for you to hear that Sirena.

Really? Has it been confirmed?

That would be awsome. :up:

Yes!

(Sorry I also posted this in aother thread by accident)

U2.com confirms playng at the Grammys (and the Brit Awards and the Echo Awards).

U2.com | Official News

Grammy Performance Next Month
U2 will play at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles next month.

The 51st annual Grammy Awards take place on February 8th and there's plenty of other great acts lined up including Kid Rock, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Rihanna, Coldplay, Jennifer Hudson, Lil Wayne, Paul McCartney, Radiohead and Jay-Z.

It will air on CBS from 8–11:30 p.m. (ET/PT). More here.

The band have already confirmed they'll be performing the new single ‘Get On Your Boots’ at the UK's BRIT Awards at London's Earls Court, ten days later on Wednesday 18 February. And a few days after that they'll be in Berlin to play at Germany's ECHO Awards

Sorry bud, but I don't understand this at all, and it could just be me, but why do you need to hear a song, album 10-50 times to 'get it' or feel good with it. I'll admit when i first heard pride and my bro plays in it his car I would not get into it, but that was more about my relationship with him. (bad relationship) but I still don't get it why 10-50 times? If something is good I get it more or less right away. But maybe everyone is different. :heart:

Good question.

Yes, everyone is different. My friend who's got an incredible ear for music can pick out hits or great songs within a minute or two of listening to them....thats just him. I on the other hand have to hear a song a few times to get everything absorbed. For me, the intial listens are to kind of get a grasp of what I'm hearing. I tend to try to compare them to other things that I've heard about the band or other sounds that are out there and try to make sense of the stuff. Its kind of like when I read a novel or watch a great movie. I'll "get it" for the most part on the first take, but its not until I read or see it a bunch of times that I get all of the nuances and subtleties that I missed the first time.

I can't tell you how many books, or movies, or songs I heard the first time and said to myself "Meh...it was okay" But then when I heard or saw them again they finally hit me. They finally sank in and I got immersed in the thing or started to get all of the little pieces that I missed before.

Again, not everyone is like that. But it seems like many of the reviewers seem to be alluding to the fact that this album is so deep and heavily filled with so many subtle layers of sound that it may take many listens for the songs to open up and breathe (no pun intended) :lol:

Theres a few reasons why I feel like I need to listen to a song over a period of time before I can decide whether I like it or not...

- My ear doesn't catch all the layers in a song at first. For example, in Boots, I didn't catch the guitar piece that edge is playing in the "Let me in the sound" section. Once I did, that part sounded infinitely better to me.

- If a song is catchy right away, it might end up becoming boring pretty fast as well.

- Sometimes I can't relate to the lyrics in a song right away. Perhaps a week after my first listen I might experience something that reminds me of the song, and then all of a sudden the song is way more impactful when I listen to it the next time.

Theres a few reasons why I feel like I need to listen to a song over a period of time before I can decide whether I like it or not...

- My ear doesn't catch all the layers in a song at first. For example, in Boots, I didn't catch the guitar piece that edge is playing in the "Let me in the sound" section. Once I did, that part sounded infinitely better to me.

- If a song is catchy right away, it might end up becoming boring pretty fast as well.

- Sometimes I can't relate to the lyrics in a song right away. Perhaps a week after my first listen I might experience something that reminds me of the song, and then all of a sudden the song is way more impactful when I listen to it the next time.

These are valid points too. I agree

Good question.

Yes, everyone is different. My friend who's got an incredible ear for music can pick out hits or great songs within a minute or two of listening to them....thats just him. I on the other hand have to hear a song a few times to get everything absorbed. For me, the intial listens are to kind of get a grasp of what I'm hearing. I tend to try to compare them to other things that I've heard about the band or other sounds that are out there and try to make sense of the stuff. Its kind of like when I read a novel or watch a great movie. I'll "get it" for the most part on the first take, but its not until I read or see it a bunch of times that I get all of the nuances and subtleties that I missed the first time.

I can't tell you how many books, or movies, or songs I heard the first time and said to myself "Meh...it was okay" But then when I heard or saw them again they finally hit me. They finally sank in and I got immersed in the thing or started to get all of the little pieces that I missed before.

Again, not everyone is like that. But it seems like many of the reviewers seem to be alluding to the fact that this album is so deep and heavily filled with so many subtle layers of sound that it may take many listens for the songs to open up and breathe (no pun intended) :lol:

I know what you're say'in, sometimes you think you like the song the first time but other times it takes so many listens to enjoy it. I'm just so glad U2 has so many good fans that can see things from different perspectives. :up:

I know what you're say'in, sometimes you think you like the song the first time but other times it takes so many listens to enjoy it. I'm just so glad U2 has so many good fans that can see things from different perspectives. :up:

I've always wondered how many other songs from other bands I've glossed over and didn't give that extra listen or two that I should have.

I find myself giving U2 the benefit of the doubt (sometimes too much) which therefore forces me to be more patient with some of their most difficult and less accessible tunes.

The band have already confirmed they'll be performing the new single ‘Get On Your Boots’ at the UK's BRIT Awards at London's Earls Court, ten days later on Wednesday 18 February. And a few days after that they'll be in Berlin to play at Germany's ECHO Awards. They're playing at the Grammys.

- this is "stealth" promotion ?

The band have already confirmed they'll be performing the new single ‘Get On Your Boots’ at the UK's BRIT Awards at London's Earls Court, ten days later on Wednesday 18 February. And a few days after that they'll be in Berlin to play at Germany's ECHO Awards. They're playing at the Grammys.

- this is "stealth" promotion ?

Yeah, this thread was created before the Grammy/Superbowl ad thing. It was nice while we could dream about it, though.

I meant the Super Bowl commercial, which seems to be the beginning of the GOYB push... I'm curious to see where this one ends up.

Well its better to give it a push than to let it flounder, I'd like to see NLOTH open to numbers on par with the Bomb (some decline in light of the industry) and put all the haters in their place. I think they need a strong support for Boots in the coming weeks and a new single around the time of the album release, like the title track or Breathe :drool:

Well its better to give it a push than to let it flounder, I'd like to see NLOTH open to numbers on par with the Bomb (some decline in light of the industry) and put all the haters in their place. I think they need a strong support for Boots in the coming weeks and a new single around the time of the album release, like the title track or Breathe :drool:

Well it's going to be very hard in the U.S. to put up the numbers Bomb put up 840,000 copies in the first week of release is a number that hasn't been seen by almost any artist since HTDAAB was released in Nov. 2004 and Vertigo was more well recieved than Boots in the U.S.....at least at this point in time anyway

Speaking of promotion, has anybody seen ads plastered on walls? A cornerstore by my house as these 2 black ads that looked like what we thought the GOYB sleeve was going to be with the vertical "U2" logo but instead of "GOYB" between the "U" and the "2" it was the album name. At the very bottom it said "March 3rd."

Well it's going to be very hard in the U.S. to put up the numbers Bomb put up 840,000 copies in the first week of release is a number that hasn't been seen by almost any artist since HTDAAB was released in Nov. 2004 and Vertigo was more well recieved than Boots in the U.S.....at least at this point in time anyway

Yeah...but you can argue that HTDAAB blew its load with Vertigo and never quite matched it with the singles there after. NLOTH has the potential to consistently release some really great singles that could make it a slow burner that stays on the charts for a longer time.

If it's a good album, it'll sell. Look at Coldplay's sales of Viva La Vida; they put out a brilliant album, and it had enormous sales. I can see U2 doing the same thing, if they put out a solid album that delivers.

I'm watching the Super Bowl on NASN / ESPN Network, that's the only one I can receive here. Any chance I might see the commercial/single? There is an awful lot of advertising for their own channel.

Back
Top Bottom