Stand Up Comedy: one of the worst ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
This song sucks.
Edge was inspired by Jimmy Page's riffs for this one, huh?
LOL.
Keep trying Edge.
What a half baked POS.

BTW, Magnificent and UC and MOS and Crazy and Cedars and NLOTH are awesome.

Let the flames roll in......

:up:

my feelings are that it would have been one of the more interesting tunes if it was on HTDAAB. SUC is a victim of being the ugly duckling on an incredible album. it's not the worst song ever, just not up to par with the rest of NLOTH.

I think this is a great song, especially vocal wise.

IMO Stand Up shines, the guitar sounds great and yeah it's not the best work Edge has done but it makes the song and Bono sings it awesomely great :up:

It's my 2nd fav behind Breathe

I hope to God this is NOT played live.

What a waste if it is.

I could name at least 100 other songs more deserving.

i will admit that i dig the song when the guitar solo kicks in. otherwise, see my previous post for my overall feelings.

My least favorite song on the album by far. I thought it was okay the first few times I heard it, now I skip past it. :shh:

I'm curious to see if hearing it live will change my mind or not.

Worst ever? Nah.

What ever happened to the riff that was on u2.com where Edge plays a similar thing but went from F# to c....real dark and nasty.....

Why didn't they do something with that????

The SAC riff is such a lame rip of "Dazed and Confused" (pre chorus) and a thousand other tunes packaged into a pop melody.
Sux.

I don't skip it, but the thing is pretty damned weak, and I shudder at the thought of them thinking this is some blistering rocker that NEEDS to be played live. Hopefully it will go the way of Crumbs From Your Table (a much better song that was played only a couple times).

When I took my non-U2 friend to see a screening of Linear, when this came on he said "This is the kind of U2 I really don't like". Not surprising. You can be self-deprecating and still come off like a jackass, Bono. The lyrics just kill the thing.

What saves it for me is the Beatlesque vibe, and some of the musical parts really do work.

It is a bit cheesy, but at least it rocks. I'm much more bothered by Crazy Tonight.

It is a bit cheesy, but at least it rocks. I'm much more bothered by Crazy Tonight.

I understand the dislike over Crazy Tonight....but I like it beacuse if the melody/chord changes.....is it one of the best? Nope.

But it feels good. Doesn't feel forced. SUC does, plus there's no hook.

To each their own.

Awhoahwhoooo "out from under your beds" is tragically awful. "my ego's not really the enemy" is nicely delivered, and I even think the "Napoleon/Josephine" bit improbably works. But "fall down/stand up" is just weak. SUC isn't one of the worst ever, but they took a weird, strange turn into a ditch with that main riff. I know it's obnoxious to praise the early sketches, but the original riff we heard sounds like it posseses much more potential. SUC is too.....polite for that sort of Led Zep thing Edge was evidently thinking of. Led Zeppelin by way of a grocery store.

It's not that bad, the problem is the context it is in. The song doesn't fit the album. As somebody said above and I had also pointed out in my "NLOTH review", this song would have done much better on HTDAAB. I can think of quite few other songs that I can stand way less than SUC, but then some of them are loved by most fans and I'm not in the mood for stirring up a hornet's nest.

Let the flames roll in......

:up:

This sounds like you're encouraging a flame war.

I like the song. I like it better than the slower songs. It's funky and fun. It's different for U2 and I dont think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Not even the worst on NLOTH. But I wouldn't say it's some badass blistering rocker either. It's a mess, but has some very inspired moments.

I will back pedal a bit and say that I like the line about Napoleon and rock stars in high heels, and I do like the "come on ye people" chorus.

so many fans - so many differing opinions ... I couldn't disagree more about Stand Up Comedy- absolutely love the song

one of the worst ever? no chance in hell.....the worst on the album...Yes, but only because the album is so strong...it's actually a really enjoyable song and probably would have been one of stronger tracks if it appeared on Bomb

The Led Zeppelin guitar riff seems like a pointless garnish on an otherwise pretty standard and safe sounding dad-rock song. It's not like The Edge took the Zeppelin influence and really ran with it, following it to some crazy dimension...to me it seems almost like an afterthought, like the song was so uninspiring and faceless, they needed something to wake you up every minute or so. Why not inject a cliched sounding Zepellin riff. I mean, that riff sounds like Jimmy Page warming up on stage. It's a boring riff that doesn't go anywhere. It doesn't excite me. It doesn't make me want to ROCK OUT! It's just like "ohhhh that's The Edge referencing Led Zepplin, this is what passes for 'edge branching out' these days."

Now it's time for a little pretensiousness:

If i was in that room the day Edge came up with that riff, I would've said: "okay, you done having fun? Good! Now I want you to REALLY fucking get down with it!!"

And then i would've slipped Bono some drugs, and said "forget about who you are, take this pen, take this paper, and write, dammit! Give us something intense! "Little old lady???!?!?!?" (i taze him until he is drained of all cornball lyrics)

I do find this song playing in my head when I least expect it. Although, it does kind of take me out of the album for a split-second.

I think it's a really good song. Not one of the album's best but certainly not one of their worst. I agree that some lyrics are cheesy but overall, I like it. The solo until the ending is great in terms of delivery.

Back
Top Bottom