Stand Up Comedy: one of the worst ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really? Serious?

I mean many of us hope they don't, but we all know this is the type of song that will be a stadium hit...

stadium hit = Magnificent, City of Blinding Lights, Beautiful Day, Mofo, Mysterious Ways, Streets, Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday

i think a song has to be at least decent before it can be considered a "stadium hit"

:heart:I LOVE Stand Up Comedy!! :heart:

I think it's quirky, and has a catchy cool vibe :dancing:

catchy and cool? maybe. substance and style? no. this is what is wrong with 90% of pop and rock music.

I think its fantastic, a nice riffy piece that fits well with boots. other then those two songs, there arent really any other riffy songs.

Its great :D

stadium hit = Magnificent, City of Blinding Lights, Beautiful Day, Mofo, Mysterious Ways, Streets, Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday

i think a song has to be at least decent before it can be considered a "stadium hit"

We get it you hate this song(I don't like it all that much either), but you're forgetting something Elevation is the type of song that got stadiums going...

SUC has a very easy on the spot type of groove. Like it or not it's the type of song that will get people pumping their fists...

My point was not if this is a worthy song or not, my point is that this is an easy selection to play live as far as audience response...

and unfortunately that matters too much.

It's not anything special, but nowhere near as boring or ugly as "One Step Closer" or "Grace" or "All Because of You". Bono's vocals aren't bad, though.

Worst on the album yes but nowhere as worse as Elvis Ate America , Red Light , Two Hearts Beat As One or Peace On Earth.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

SUC has a very easy on the spot type of groove. Like it or not it's the type of song that will get people pumping their fists...

My point was not if this is a worthy song or not, my point is that this is an easy selection to play live as far as audience response...
I agree with you
and Every casual fan I showed the album liked SUC the most. They said "at least it has some guitar on it"

:angry: stupid dumb people!!!

Great funk bass.

But the part right after, "stop helpin' god across the road like a little old lady" and then it goes into the breakdown where Bono sings the Ooooooos...

That ruins it for me. :down:

The rest of the song is good though.

well, if I even GET tickets.........:angry:

but no, probably it would be a good piss/beer break.

I can see why people think that lyric would get the crowd going, but man, I disagree. "Stand up for your love". Yeah. Woo.

I bet it's not even played. Seriously. So it's a moot point.
Boots
Mag
MOS
Crazy
NLOTH
Breathe
and maybe UC are all we're gonna hear.

i would agree. i'm still holding out hope that they play Fez-Being Born too.

catchy and cool? maybe. substance and style? no. this is what is wrong with 90% of pop and rock music.

you mean somebody has a different opinion than you? oh no. i'd venture to say "Day & Age" is what's wrong with 90% of pop and rock music.

I could do without the falsetto in this song too

But the part right after, "stop helpin' god across the road like a little old lady" and then it goes into the breakdown where Bono sings the Ooooooos...

I just wish that after that 2:49 interesting guitar "engine start" sound Edge would rip into a long solo instead of the "soul rocking people" / Bono wail ending.

This song may not have the musical or emotional depth of a song like Magnificent, MOS or Breathe, but in terms of top-volume immediate likeability, this song is probably my favorite on the album. As I've said before, this is probably the only song I never skip to get to the next one. From that channel-shifting drum intro to the retro-groove guitar riff to the falsetto chorus to the Sgt Pepperish bridge and the John Lennon soul-rockin' ending, I can't get enough of it.

Now because some moron decides to start a thread titled "one of the worst ever?" this song will be prepositioned in many minds as a song we're not supposed to like.

Mark my words, Stand Up Comedy will be a highlight of the tour. People will view this song MUCH differently a year from now than they do now.

why do i like this song, all of a sudden?
it isn't my favourite but there really isn't any good reason to dislike the song
unless you feel every song has to be an investigation of the limits of experimentation in music
I'd probably place it last when ranking all the NLOTH songs, but when it's playing I realise it's actually a fab song

why do i like this song, all of a sudden?

it's not a bad song by any means in my opinion. it doesn't really fit in too much with the album, but that doesn't make it bad. it's sort of like a last gasp of fresh air to me before you have Fez/White as Snow/Breathe/Cedars to close out the album. like i've said before, i don't need every song to be an epic huge song. I like fun rock songs, and this fits that mold for me.

^^^^^^^

yep to salome and popacrobat. i officially like 11 out of 11 songs on the album.

i'm a blind sheep now. :) :up:

Am I the only one thinking that the people who keep making statements such "I am a blind sheep now" are as big and bad shit starters as the ones who called people blind sheep in the first place?

^^^^^^^

yep to salome and popacrobat. i officially like 11 out of 11 songs on the album.

i'm a blind sheep now. :) :up:

haha nice. join the sheep club.

also, i will say that it speaks volumes as to the overall depth and quality of the album (depth being song wise not lyric wise) that Stand up Comedy is considered the worst track.

it isn't my favourite but there really isn't any good reason to dislike the song
unless you feel every song has to be an investigation of the limits of experimentation in music
I'd probably place it last when ranking all the NLOTH songs, but when it's playing I realise it's actually a fab song

Agree. IMO it does sound like a collage song, so many influences in it. It doesn´t mean it´s a bad song though, so I have no complaints. Highlights are the drums and bass IMO, so funky. I bet it´s gonna sound awesome live. Can´t wait till Croke Park!

MT

After the first run of the album in February, it was the song that left me unimpressed the most. "Hate" is such a strong word, but I didn't really like it. A month later though I must say I've learned to appreciate the song and actually like it. I don't think I'll ever be a big fan and go crazy over it, but something's certainly changed in the past month. I especially like Edge's funky guitar effect right at the end of the bridge. :up:

This thread is still going?

*yawn*

whatever.........

Back
Top Bottom