Stand Up Comedy: one of the worst ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
every song on this album sometimes feels as possibly my favourite of the album
SUC is no exception

I had it blasting in the car when driving back home from work today
the sun was shining and all was good

There are still problems with the content, IMO.
Who can relate to what he's saying?
Besides other ego maniacal rock stars.

That's what bothers me the most, he's imploring people to Stand Up for their 'love' meaning God and can't bother to take himself out of the equation. Really, really annoying.

I mean, if this were meant to be a 'praise' song, then fine, I am cool with that.
But who can sing along to this and insert themselves?

"Stand up to rock stars..." "small men with big ideas" "stand up to my ego"
Fucking horrible songwriting. Trying to be universal STAND UP!! and being totally personal and exclusive to his own exploits at the same time.

Who among us can relate to it?

it's not a praise song
it's a get of your ass and do something you believe in song
and not because of what anyone else says (yes, not even Bono) but because doing what you believe in is always the right thing to do

well, maybe that isn't it either
but that's what it is for me at the moment

Yes, because I surely implied that you must relate to every song you ever listen to.
Nice going, Herd.

Is Bono telling a fucking story in this song?
What's he doing?

Salome at least offered up what he thought the song was about.
Bono's trying to implore the listeners to do something.

C'mon all ye people, defend Bono at all costs.

C'mon guys, simmer down, maybe we are looking a bit too much into this. Relax, have fun, enjoy the music, enjoy life. The songs can really mean what you want them to mean.

[/just got laid]

I had no idea we were supposed to relate to every song on the album.

Who said that?

SUC is a call to action.

If it doesn't relate, then how does it work as a call to action?

Then how does it work as a song?
Just a pop-rock song?
Fine by me, but there are plenty of people loathe to admit that's all it is.

At least I give it credit for trying to say something.

This song sucks.
Edge was inspired by Jimmy Page's riffs for this one, huh?
LOL.
Keep trying Edge.
What a half baked POS.

BTW, Magnificent and UC and MOS and Crazy and Cedars and NLOTH are awesome.

Let the flames roll in......

:up:

I Actually like SUC.It's growing on me.Would have to strongly disagree with you there JOFO.:down:

You mean "in your humble opinion" its "a half baked POS".

You've every right to not like it. It's okay that you don't like it. I'd offer that there is a huge difference in "I don't like that song, it doesn't speak to me" and the disrespectful language that you used.

I love your serif font :sad: :drool:

2 birds @ 1nce:

"I don't like this song; but everyone is entitled to like it if they wish".

it's not a praise song
it's a get of your ass and do something you believe in song
and not because of what anyone else says (yes, not even Bono) but because doing what you believe in is always the right thing to do

This. Bono said early on Stand up is about bringing down your own hypocrisy (and he's probably talking about the youth of today which is being accused of being indifferent, could use some standing up of its own). Which might explain the "stand up to rock stars" line. Celebrities are just as fair game to stand up to as anyone/anything else.

Stand Up Comedy is an outstanding tune, really love it now. Was my least favourite from day 1 but now I really think it deserves to be on this album.

the lyrics in Crazy Tonight totally beat the shit out of anything going on in SUC. just the lyric. and (except for a couple lines) they're not even that great. it's such a shame, they could have just wiped this shit off the tracklist and the album would be fabulous, a keeper front to back. oh well. i can't listen to So Cruel, it makes me cringe, but AB is still amazing.

the lyrics in Crazy Tonight totally beat the shit out of anything going on in SUC. just the lyric. and (except for a couple lines) they're not even that great. it's such a shame, they could have just wiped this shit off the tracklist and the album would be fabulous, a keeper front to back. oh well. i can't listen to So Cruel, it makes me cringe, but AB is still amazing.

So Cruel???????

One of the most emotionally devastating songs of their career. Maybe the one i relate to most! If you wanna say So Cruel doesn't do it for you musically, then alright, but if you're suggesting that the lyrics are bad...

I think its one of Bono's best efforts. "Head in heaven, fingers in the mire" "i'm only hanging on to watch you go down" "her skin is pale like God's only dove..."(etc, that whole section)

I love that song, and actually learned how to play it on the piano (not that it was too difficult)

So Cruel???????

One of the most emotionally devastating songs of their career. Maybe the one i relate to most! If you wanna say So Cruel doesn't do it for you musically, then alright, but if you're suggesting that the lyrics are bad...

I think its one of Bono's best efforts. "Head in heaven, fingers in the mire" "i'm only hanging on to watch you go down" "her skin is pale like God's only dove..."(etc, that whole section)

I love that song, and actually learned how to play it on the piano (not that it was too difficult)

while i disagree with you a lot of the time, i definitely agree with you on So Cruel. That is one of their most haunting and gorgeous songs at the same time. and I agree- some of Bono's best lyrics.

Am I the only one who actually enjoys this song? To me it reminds me of my 2nd favourite band, Aerosmith.
It's got a good guitar line, nice bass, nice drums, the lyrics are a bit meh but the vocals are decent. It's a song for a light mood, I really don't have a problem with it.

EXACTLY why I hate the song--it has "uninspired has been aged, tired rock star" written all over it.

Stand Up Comedy sounds like 4 men in their late 40s trying to be hip with the kids and teach them a lesson. Not good.

I have to admit, it's last on the list and I skip it even then. I really don't want this on the radio. That's a really difficult thing for me to say, by the way.
Magnificent next, then No Line and after - Moment of Surrender.
If I was deciding the singles release, that is. :wink:

But then again there's Breathe and Fez.. Which I adore. :hmm:
Can't they just release them all to radio? including Cedars and WAS.

Well it is better than Where the streets have no name, Pride, The Fly, Beautiful Day, Elevation, October and New Years Day.

SUC is lame. at best, mediocre. Winter is so good it makes me want to cry. u2 really missed their chance to make this album classic.

Back
Top Bottom