Stand Up Comedy: one of the worst ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
worst song on the album BY FAR...but it's not a bad song. Would be in the middle for me on HTDAAB.

Think Mikal said it...its just the worst song on a great album.

But ya, I skip it...only tune i do on the record.

I think SUC is great for what it is - a fun rock song that still has a U2-ish theme. I love the chanting and the guitar lick. The lyrics are not exactly Bono's finest moment, but they are genius compared to Elevation.

I was hoping some of the "crap" songs would drive away some of the riff raff that come here but apparently not...keep on making these crap songs though for crap they sound great.

Yeah, I skip it. Still not as bad as GOYB, though. I just don't like that song. Which is weird for U2, let alone an opening single.

yeah, someone having a different opinion than you is quite amazing.

One thing about this forum, everyone has different tastes, so NOTHING should surprise people. For example:

I love Still Haven't Found but I know there is someone here who doesn't
I HATE Miami but I know that there is someone here who loves it

I don't get it and never will....I just accept it. Its what makes for great(frustrating?:sexywink:) conversations here.

The only verse I like is the Napoleon one. I dunno - the rest sort of seems like filler. OK, really seems like filler. The (accidental?) parallel between God and Bono's ego as they're both crossing roads bugs me, too.

I really like the bridge, with the marching thing going on and the gritty guitar. Also how the line "We're made of stars" is sung, pretty cool. A song of ups and downs - and really out of place on the album. Doesn't gel lyrically or musically with anything else.

The "earlier U2 ideal of rawness" was actually based on bands like The Who - definitely not Zep and L&POE is undeniably Zep. I grew up to bands like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Who and I definitely hear these bands in the songs I mentioned - naturally through a U2 filtre - we are talking of an interpretation and not a copy. So the fact that there are U2 elements in the songs, doesn't actually make them throwbacks to their own material. And AMAAW is definitely a 70s soul groove - there's absolutely no denial of that. I can almost hear Marvin Gaye doing that song - sorry. I recall this song being strongly bashed in this forum, probably because it didn't sound anything like U2. It is however, one the few songs I actually like from HTDAAB together with One Step Closer. Regarding the other songs I may concede some self reference, except for Vertigo which is the sort of song I would have expected from Green Day, though U2 had never sounded as over the top before except perhaps in Beautiful Day and Walk On.

Ok- fair enough we agree to disagree ( only partly because I do see the logic of your argument) Nevertheless on a purely musical level SUC has a groove missing on HTDAAB.

I think it's a solid rock song, i never understood why there's such an anti-rock sentiment among the fanbase.. it's got a good guitar lick, a great melody and some clever lyrics. It doesn't have to be One and it doesn't wanna be One. Just enjoy the tune, dont disect it..

I think it's a solid rock song, i never understood why there's such an anti-rock sentiment among the fanbase.. it's got a good guitar lick, a great melody and some clever lyrics. It doesn't have to be One and it doesn't wanna be One. Just enjoy the tune, dont disect it..

solid rock song = Last Night on Earth

good guitar lick = Even Better than the Real Thing

great melody = Desire

clever lyrics = The Fly

None of those songs "have to be" or "wanna be" One. but they kick ass. no contrived, forced bullshit. just great rock songs. and SUC is no match for any of them. just because people here hate a song which has been hyped as the "rock song" of the album, with a "Led Zeppelin" guitar riff (give me a break) doesn't mean there's an anti-rock sentiment here. it more likely means that there's an anti-shite sentiment here.

p.s. if you're not interested in dissecting music, perhaps this is a better place for you: Britney Spears Forum - Index

It's easily the worse song on NLOTH (yes, I think that GOYB and CT are good songs), but it's far from being one of U2's worst songs ever. Very far! Yes, it has some almost disastrous lyric moments, but it has a very enjoyable groove and guitar work. For me, AMAAW, PoE, Wild Honey or Miami are miles much weaker than this.
I still don't think that NLOTH has a real/visible weak/disposable song like its three predecessors.

Am I the only one who actually enjoys this song? To me it reminds me of my 2nd favourite band, Aerosmith.
It's got a good guitar line, nice bass, nice drums, the lyrics are a bit meh but the vocals are decent. It's a song for a light mood, I really don't have a problem with it.

The lyric is definitely what drags it down the furthest. The music is to me quite... uninspired. Very 00s U2. But the lyrics and Bono's delivery are just terrible.
Combined = :down:

ola aygo:wave:
are you nuts? SUC one of the worst ever??? :coocoo:

SUC is one of the best they've recorded after 2000!
i think its a bit of a cultural thing. most of the european fans really like SUC but i have the feeling that many of the north american interferencers don't like SUC very much.
imo every song on NLOTH is miles ahead of the sucking HTDAAB (exception: One Step Closer)

I hope to God this is NOT played live.

What a waste if it is.

I could name at least 100 other songs more deserving.

Me too, 150 at least! But I'm sure it will be played live....one ray of hope is that they haven't played it yet have they?? You'd have thought that such a radio friendly song would be being promoted to the hilt, perhaps, just perhaps, the band are aware of its shortcomings too...

ola aygo:wave:
are you nuts? SUC one of the worst ever??? :coocoo:

SUC is one of the best they've recorded after 2000!
i think its a bit of a cultural thing. most of the european fans really like SUC but i have the feeling that many of the north american interferencers don't like SUC very much.
imo every song on NLOTH is miles ahead of the sucking HTDAAB (exception: One Step Closer)

Hi Jacobus, good to see you here!:wave:

Surprised that you like SUC, I agree though that it's better than a lot from the last two albums, perhaps it will grow on me.

It's a great song, I'm sorry this thread is here. but everyone gets a voice on the forum. People want U2 to rock, and when they do, they complain.

I just don't think SUC "rocks"....

sorry for sounding negative....I like the album.

Not one of their worst ever but by far the worst on this album, thanks to Bonzo.

October is torture to sit all the way through but at least it's young, stupid U2 and it's sort of endearing to hear them without a clue. There are at least 5 songs on October in league with SUC in quality. BUT the difference is they didn't know any better on Shadows and Tall Trees. They knew better here...

And there are an assortment of songs throughout the years that could be put in this category, most of which are at least pretty good stabs at something. SUC is a stab at something and it's saved by a couple of decent changes in the latter part of the song. SUC reminds me of one of the crap songs from the Rattle and Hum era, only drastically more annoying because of Bono alone. Like Love Rescue Me, which is pretty awful but at least it's sort of tolerable, Babyface and Playboy Mansion as well.

So yeah, a lyric re-write and this album may have not even had it's token clunker.

Red Light also has a similar distinction, it's about the only real truly shit song on War (IMO) and compared to the whole of their worst songs, Red Light or SUC is probably no worse than several others but sitting on their particular albums they stick out like sore thumbs.

It's just baffling really.
The rest of the album is pretty damn high quality.

At least SUC tries saying something.
Crazy and especially Boots don't, on the other hand.

And it wipes the floor with the clunkers of 4 NLOTH predecessor albums.

Back
Top Bottom