Spiderman Musical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yes or No

• Yes, it's something new and different and could be amazing!!!!

Votes: 51 41.8%
  • No, what a stupid idea, just work on the new album!!!!

Votes: 71 58.2%

• Total voters
I hate musicals anyway, and a Spiderman musical sounds even worse. Will I listen to the music? Probably not.

U2 music is not just because of the melody, nor is it Bono singing, to me, they're a rock band, and The Edge is a guitarist. I want rock music with a kick-ass guitar, not some dumb dancing song about how Peter Parker has a great power, but also a great responsibility. I hate that they're doing it, to be honest, I never really though about it, but now that you ask, yes, I really do resent this ridiculous idea. But it's their life, what can I do?

:|

Sicy is right, the world of U2 is not what it has been.

Last edited:
Maybe bringing people whose first job isn't writing musicals might also bring new life to a genre that hasn't changed in sooo much years.

Anyway, we know the guys and we know what they'll do: 1)a concept musical which will do so-so, 2)a HUGE success, 3)a bastard success which will only be loved by (some) U2 fans.

Chizip said:
Do you want them to do it?

Isn't it official they're doing it? :shrug:

I wouldn't mind a good single to make the wait for the album easier but otherwise, musicals don't interest me.

Given Edge's song on the 'The Batman' cartoon theme song, it could turn out pretty cool.......if there weren't any lyrics. :huh: I can't imagine them writing Spider-man related lyrics....

I'm with martha....I doubt it'll happen in the end.

well... they did the million dollar hotel soundtrack, or at least bono did, and we had an album later that year... so if them agreeing to do this gets bono to get his little irish ass back into the studio and some work on said new album actually gets accomplished, then i could care less.

otherwise, i don't know.

i've confused myself.

carry on.

I think this musical may give them Ideas on what to do with their next album personally. As U2 has always been about focusing on what direction to go to, this musical oppertunity make give them good results, and if that happens (And I have in them) that would mean they will provide a great album and yet even more rememberable Hits for the Future! I know people are impatient on when Albums come out but sometimes the longer it takes, the better the result. Also, in case you haven't noticed, recently U2 have been making their Albums at the 3/4 year Span and some people also forget that they won't have as much energy as they did have during the Joshua tree/Actung Baby period, just give them time, and then time will be very rewarding in the end. The musical is also a good time to show what else they are capible of without concentrating on the music. This would also be good for the Edge (It would be nice to see Edge's Solo Songwritting Skills, no offence to Bono as I love alot of his written songs). The thing I am most excited about ATM is when will U2's Tour be? (I'll think of the Album Later) Oh Yh, about the name, it will be something which they are using as a recent source (ATYCLB/HTDAAB), so it may be something like "When love's Creation Starts Again" or something. :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
well... they did the million dollar hotel soundtrack, or at least bono did, and we had an album later that year... so if them agreeing to do this gets bono to get his little irish ass back into the studio and some work on said new album actually gets accomplished, then i could care less.

otherwise, i don't know.

i've confused myself.

carry on.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :wink:

Won't this side project slow down the work on the next album?

Likely not. Musicals always have their music written well in advance of opening night. This is so the actors can rehearse, the conductor can work on the music, choreography, etc.

So Bono and The Edge might be finished with this project.

Besides, The Edge has already stated that the band aren't into the "we're making a new album" phase yet.

I'm a sorta fan of the spidey movies, and I think this is an awful idea. A superhero musical? It's been done, and it was a train wreck then, and will be again even if U2 is involved.

Canadiens1160 said:
Is anyone reeeeally at Interference for U2 anymore? :lol:

Certainly not me. I don't even know where all this Spiderman musical talk came from, but I hope it vanishes into the mist like Solar did back in 2003.

WITS said:
I think this musical may give them Ideas on what to do with their next album personally.

I'm really doubtful of this because after working on Clockwork Orange, Achtung Baby didn't sound or feel like the film or Alex Descends. Nothing sounded like Goldeneye on Pop. Nothing sounded like MDH on ATYCLB. History suggests that this won't do anything but delay work on the next album.

Normally I admit I'm a sheep and I support and love absolutely everything U2 does, but in this case I just want a freakin album that they can tour and win bajillions of grammys, not a musical.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Any time the members of U2 have written for things outside of the band, they've kicked ass.

Mission Impossible Theme
Goldeneye
Alex Descends to Hell...

am I missing anything here?

In the Name of the Father
Million Dollar Hotel

So you're right - usually the music done specifically for a movie or play is really good (even if U2 ultimately don't perform it, as with "Goldeneye" - although there is a MacPhisto version of that song out there).

Still, the idea of "Spider-Man the Musical" seems atrocious to me. The movies - sure, great fun. A musical? :scratch:

Plus, will U2 use this as an excuse for why their album is delayed? :tsk: :madwife:

They can do it if they want. But I've never seen any of the movies and I won't go see the Broadway show.

Soundtracks on the other hand, are an art form. I would love to see Bono and the Edge write a truly good soundtrack for another fine movie, not just a closing song.

I think it's a fantastic idea :shrug:
...Just want Bono and Edge to do something that, as a band, U2 are (seemingly) not comfortable with.

I'm fine with it as long as they incorperate this scene into the musical.

PeterDancing.gif

it's stupid since the band's music doesn't lend itself for musicals
and the little that is known about where the band is going with its music doesn't really offer me any reason to think otherwise
(and no I didn't d/l that torrent because I'm a busy man :D )

I don't have the time for halfbaked attempts at something
and I'm sure neither does the band

Back
Top Bottom