Speculation thread: predict U2's next era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nah, you didn't touch a nerve
i just find your nonsense generally annoying

and how you made the jump from "his role as a parent sometimes becomes visible in his lyrics" to "any type of music written for one's own kids" woud baffle me more if you ever appeared like sensible person before

lol

seriously, what is your problem? I am a sensible person, and i can see it both ways. I understand where you're coming from with the whole "his role as a parent" having an effect on his lyrics. i was just making a joke about the "songs written for one's own kids". Jeeze, get a grip, man! So I think his lyrics come across as motivational speeches post 9/11. So what? It's my opinion, nothing more. I'm no threat to any one here. You are all invited to disagree with me. It's all good, I don't care.

:hug:

Good, I was gonna have to call the men in white coats if that blanket statement outted you as a Kite hater! :D

I think this is a very strange period for U2. This decade, they've seemed to be caught in between two mindsets. From the start of their career to ATYCLB, they've been hungry to explore new territory and be as successful as possible. But since then, it's felt like they've been unwilling to take risks fully. They seem confused on whether to hold on to their extreme popularity or forsake it in order to make innovative music.

What I'm hoping the next decade will hold for U2 is the late career resurgence than many of their older peers have experienced, such as McCartney, Dylan, and Springsteen. They've all pretty much done what they've wanted in the 2000s and critically acclaimed albums that are the best they've made in years. I hope U2 release the "best band in the world" title and focus on just their craft, whatever form it may take.

Well said Joey.

After learning & developing in the 80's, the band became a little self indulgent in the mid to late 90's. Pop wasn't that far from Zooropa but still a departure, but Passengers and MDH were U2 doing whatever they wanted with little care for popularity/charting.

ATYCLB was a return to mainstream U2 & chart success but then it seems like they freaked out, not knowing what to do next - and frightened to fail.

The amount of ditched/hoarded material must surely exceed the amount of recordings they've released in their entire career. It's beyond perfectionism, bordering on ridiculous.

I'd be brilliant if they just said "f*** it....here's what we've been working on. Love it or hate it, we don't care". They'd probably realised that its actually better to stop tinkering and leave some rawness. (I'd love another "Elvis Presley & America" in the middle of their next album!)

They'll move towards a more electronic/dance sound and everybody will like it.

And then they'll push it a bit too far. And then way too far. And people will be pissed off about it.

And then they'll return towards their original sounds, and it will win Grammys.

Repeat.

They'll move towards a more electronic/dance sound and everybody will like it.

And then they'll push it a bit too far. And then way too far. And people will be pissed off about it.
Except for a few hundred people on the Internet, who will hail it as the best music they've ever made. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom