Speculation: No Line on the Horizon versus Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subnet

New Yorker
This is what I'm thinking (speculating):

- U2 came out with a "surprise" first Achtung Baby single with The Fly...it was knock-your-socks-off full of guitar distortion.
- The Fly was released in Sept 1991 as I recall, two months before album release.
- The Fly single was short-lived and replaced with more mainstream Mysterious Ways

- The Fly set the tone for the album and the follow-on ZooTV tour.

- We know that The Edge is using a new distortion box, might be used on the first single on NLOTH, and might be a short-lived single, 2 months in advance of the album (especially if we get to look forward to an album chock-full of singles)

- more stellar simple songs akin to TTTYAATW on this album. I miss that song on tour.

- America and Canada to see U2 in stadiums as the tour will start in the spring 2009, and they owe us this.

Regards,
subnet

- America and Canada to see U2 in stadiums as the tour will start in the spring 2009, and they owe us this.

i really hope they are in arenas. i may be in the minority, but i much prefer the arena shows to the stadium shows i have seen (and its not even close).

What's better, No Line On The Horizon or a bucket of scorpions?

This is what I'm thinking (speculating):

- U2 came out with a "surprise" first Achtung Baby single with The Fly...it was knock-your-socks-off full of guitar distortion.
- The Fly was released in Sept 1991 as I recall, two months before album release.
- The Fly single was short-lived and replaced with more mainstream Mysterious Ways

- The Fly set the tone for the album and the follow-on ZooTV tour.

- We know that The Edge is using a new distortion box, might be used on the first single on NLOTH, and might be a short-lived single, 2 months in advance of the album (especially if we get to look forward to an album chock-full of singles)

- more stellar simple songs akin to TTTYAATW on this album. I miss that song on tour.

Regards,
subnet

The multiple singles speculation is made even more plausible by the fact that they shot at least 2 videos.

i really hope they are in arenas. i may be in the minority, but i much prefer the arena shows to the stadium shows i have seen (and its not even close).

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Unless they're going to play some sort of super duper special show, they'll only play in arenas in the US.

U2 are no longer a stadium band in the US. They are better suited for arenas.

The multiple singles speculation is made even more plausible by the fact that they shot at least 2 videos.

I think it's possible that they might use footage from both shoots for the same video. If I remember correctly, the first shoot was of a guy riding around on a motorcycle...no band shots. The London shoot sounds like it was the band. Possible that it's for the same video....though it'd be awesome if they already have two singles and two videos planned. :drool:

I think it's possible that they might use footage from both shoots for the same video. If I remember correctly, the first shoot was of a guy riding around on a motorcycle...no band shots. The London shoot sounds like it was the band. Possible that it's for the same video....though it'd be awesome if they already have two singles and two videos planned. :drool:

Yeah that's true, but I'm not sure how well girls marching around + band + guy on motorcycle will work in one video. Sounds like 2 different themes there.

Yeah that's true, but I'm not sure how well girls marching around + band + guy on motorcycle will work in one video. Sounds like 2 different themes there.

:lol:

True! Didn't think about that!

Which totally lends to the theory that their will be TWO singles released at the same time. One in America, and one in Europe.

I'm guessing America will get "GOYB" and Europe will get "NLOTH".

BTW, have we confirmed whether or not these boot girls are part of a drum core, color guard/marching band type thing? or are they referring to military/army marching? A marching band comes to mind first, but it would be a cool twist if they were actual army girls marching in formation. It might give some kind of relevant "War" overtone to the video. (If war was relevant to the theme of the song of course)

Which totally lends to the theory that their will be TWO singles released at the same time. One in America, and one in Europe.

I'm guessing America will get "GOYB" and Europe will get "NLOTH".

BTW, have we confirmed whether or not these boot girls are part of a drum core, color guard/marching band type thing? or are they referring to military/army marching? A marching band comes to mind first, but it would be a cool twist if they were actual army girls marching in formation. It might give some kind of relevant "War" overtone to the video. (If war was relevant to the theme of the song of course)

I think with the digitization of music, the idea of 2 singles in different parts of the world doesn't make that much sense anymore. They've been very successful with their first singles on the last 2 albums, so I'm not sure they'd drastically change course. But if they do...I hope it's 2 in a row before the album is released!

Interesting thought. We've all been thinking that some 'sexy' boots are likely, and that maybe color guard girls are an offshoot of that, mainly because we all originally thought the song was Sexy Boots. While I think that's most likely the case, I could see a bunch of girls in army boots marching or dancing & the song having a sort of "Rise Up" message to it...perhaps with a bit of sexy flair thrown in. :hmm:

I think with the digitization of music, the idea of 2 singles in different parts of the world doesn't make that much sense anymore. They've been very successful with their first singles on the last 2 albums, so I'm not sure they'd drastically change course. But if they do...I hope it's 2 in a row before the album is released!

Good point.

I guess it would still be relevant on the radio and television. Does Europe have a TRL type thing anymore? Wasn't it Top of the Pops or something?

Good point.

I guess it would still be relevant on the radio and television. Does Europe have a TRL type thing anymore? Wasn't it Top of the Pops or something?

Yeah, I think TOTP is still around (at least I remember watching HTDAAB performances). I have always found the different singles thing odd--why do they assume one part of the world wants a single at a different time than another--is it the weather?

Yeah, I think TOTP is still around (at least I remember watching HTDAAB performances). I have always found the different singles thing odd--why do they assume one part of the world wants a single at a different time than another--is it the weather?

HA!

I guess you haven't been to Europe in a while. The music scene is much different from here. They have different tastes there. My family is going this winter...I can't wait to hear what's popular over there. Its sometimes laughable.

The original rumor was that U2 were trying to decide between two distinctly different sounding singles to release; One was more "u2 sounding" and the other was supposedly more "out there and different". So the idea is that a European audience might be more receptive to the "out there sounding" song and that American audiences would do better with the "u2 sounding" one.

Interesting thought that actually seems to have some weight to it.

Interesting thought. We've all been thinking that some 'sexy' boots are likely, and that maybe color guard girls are an offshoot of that, mainly because we all originally thought the song was Sexy Boots. While I think that's most likely the case, I could see a bunch of girls in army boots marching or dancing & the song having a sort of "Rise Up" message to it...perhaps with a bit of sexy flair thrown in. :hmm:

Sounds like a hip hop video. :no:

Maybe Will.I.Am is involved. :lol:

:ohmy:

HA!

I guess you haven't been to Europe in a while. The music scene is much different from here. They have different tastes there. My family is going this winter...I can't wait to hear what's popular over there. Its sometimes laughable.

The original rumor was that U2 were trying to decide between two distinctly different sounding singles to release; One was more "u2 sounding" and the other was supposedly more "out there and different". So the idea is that a European audience might be more receptive to the "out there sounding" song and that American audiences would do better with the "u2 sounding" one.

Well I was in France this summer and saw Beach House and Fleet Foxes, so it actually felt quite a bit like New York.

I didn't really consider this idea because usually U2 ends up releasing the same singles all over the world--but at different times (Thinking about Stuck and Walk On specifically, but I think they did it with others from the last 2 albums). That's why I made the crack about the weather. Plus, I think U2 has always been about setting trends in the music world rather than trying to get a sense about what an audience will be most receptive to. Take WOWY (that "odd-sounding song" as Bono calls it). Not 80s sounding at all, and it didn't sound like anything else on the radio at that time (again, Bono's assessment). But it was a monster hit. U2 used to drive popular music to some degree and I'm not naive enough to believe that they still have that power, but I'd like for them to at least believe it--and throw out a monster, ballsy first single.

Plus, I think U2 has always been about setting trends in the music world rather than trying to get a sense about what an audience will be most receptive to. Take WOWY (that "odd-sounding song" as Bono calls it). Not 80s sounding at all, and it didn't sound like anything else on the radio at that time (again, Bono's assessment). But it was a monster hit. U2 used to drive popular music to some degree and I'm not naive enough to believe that they still have that power, but I'd like for them to at least believe it--and throw out a monster, ballsy first single.

I hear what you're saying about music trends and all, but I think it would be naive of them to not atleast consider such a thing (i.e. multiple singles release) especially if they are torn over the first single. It would be an easy way to flood the market with a couple of songs right off the bat and get the U2 train chugging. Especially if they plan on starting a tour in the summer time, which has been rumored about for quite some time.

I hear what you're saying about music trends and all, but I think it would be naive of them to not consider such a thing (i.e. multiple singles release) especially if they are torn over the first single. It would be an easy way to flood the market with a couple of songs right off the bat and get the U2 train chugging. Especially if they plan on starting a tour in the summer time, which has been rumored about for quite some time.

Yeah, and with the digital availability of music, it makes much more sense to release more than one song before the album is released. Because now everyone will pick out their own personal "singles" on release day (or usually even before). The only real chance a band has to shape the way their album is perceived before-hand is with the first single(s). To some degree, this has always been true. But the radio has become less and less important, as have traditional music video outlets. I would love for them to release 2 singles beforehand that are on different ends of the sound spectrum. My only real interest in singles post-release is based on whether or not there is a significantly different single mix and/or new b-sides.

Black Bear.

Bears beat ... Battlestar Galactica

Take that back!

And, I truly hope for something of the quality of "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World". It's not really a simple song because there are so many guitar textures that are understated. That's what I miss, instead of the overt garbage they've been releasing this decade.

HA!

That's so tragic. Basically, American audiences are treated as dumber. It's the same reason some films have different endings for the US audience and European ones -- the less challenging, more formulaic one being for the Americans.

As a person who tries to appreciate more challenging things, I'd be pissed that I'm being dragged down with the refuse drives everything to the lowest common denominator -- from reshooting the ending for "Fatal Attraction" so it has more action and less realism to applauding crap like "Fringe" and "Desperate Housewives" and "CSI" and "Titanic" over Battlestar Galactica.

U2 should be bold and release another "The Fly"; so not everybody gets it; that's not the point. If they play the ratings game, nothing changes, and U2 have always been in the game to change it.

Whatever, as long as it's on the album, I'm fine with it.

wow, way to paint in broad, inaccurate, self-congratulatory strokes.

considering it was the Europeans who embraced the overt garbage that was the Pop album -- perhaps they're more easily distracted by bright, shiny things designed to disguise the lack of substance or quality -- i guess i'm proud to be an American?

Top of the Pops has been scrapped by the BBC for some time.

There is a Christmas special planned (year review type thing)

Apparently Simon Cowell is trying to buy the right to the show though.

Take that back!

And, I truly hope for something of the quality of "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World". It's not really a simple song because there are so many guitar textures that are understated. That's what I miss, instead of the overt garbage they've been releasing this decade.

What I failed to call out in my initial post in this thread was a desire to hear textured melodies like TTTYAATW, with great expansive guitar licks and great percussion

In terms of overt garbage, to some degree i agree if you are talking about Elevation and Beautiful Day. I prefer to hear less coo's ooo's and screaming as pronounced more in ATYCLB and less in HTDAAB. I prefer the darker tones and a bit more melancholy. We see this in earlier works.

I am hoping this is exactly what Daniel Lanois was eluding to.

Back
Top Bottom