Speculation: No Line on the Horizon versus Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damnitt they OWE us this...:mad:

Please, they don't owe us shit. Unless of course you made a loan to them and they haven't finished paying you back, but other than that, they don't owe you a damn thing. What is wrong with this entitled generation?

considering it was the Europeans who embraced the overt garbage that was the Pop album --

Well, the album did debut at number one in 35 countries INCLUDING America. Last time I checked there aren't 35 countries in Europe...unless of course you count some of them smaller ones multiple times....so I wouldn't say that it was all Europeans embracing it. Was it the most successful album in U2 history? not necessarily...but to say that Europe was the only one to embrace it is actually not correct, even if they do indeed tend to embrace a lot of garbage. I mean they did give the Spice Girls their big start.

I'm guessing America will get "GOYB" and Europe will get "NLOTH".

Which means Aussie will probably get "NLOTH".....though I'd much prefer it if that was a line from the song, as opposed to title of the song itself.

All I can say is WOW...Overt garbage that was Pop? Europeans simply got or understood what U2 was doing at that time. U2 was ahead of their time with Pop and Zooropa.

American music taste is garbage. Absolutely. U2 came out with REALLY safe albums as a result of the American response to Pop, which sucks because they didnt cut down any trees or do anything groundbreaking...my hope is with this new album they are comfortable doing another Pop. I do not want to hear the same albums regurgitated. There is no need for U2 to be around if they are not finding new territory.

They are too good to be a juke box.

If wanted to continue the double-album speculation, maybe it'll be a situation like Outkast on Speakerboxx/The Love Below....two singles (one from each disc) released simultaneously.

The Fly was released in early November 1991 or very end of October and not September. It actually was the single that knocked Bryan Adams rubbish "Everything I do (turns out shite)" single off the top of the charts in the UK which had been there for 15 weeks. It was only available for a limited time, I think it was either one week or two weeks not sure. Achtung Baby was released 3 weeks later. Mysterious Ways followed before Christmas that same year.

Ok just re-read your post, The Fly was released to radio end of Spetember 1991.

rjhbonovox thanks for clearing that up

i remember The Fly being a short lived single. I loved the 4 single approach to that album with the single artwork creating a complete "4 guys in a Trabant" image.

It'll be great hearing the new distortion peddle magic on this album

Well, the album did debut at number one in 35 countries INCLUDING America. Last time I checked there aren't 35 countries in Europe...unless of course you count some of them smaller ones multiple times....so I wouldn't say that it was all Europeans embracing it. Was it the most successful album in U2 history? not necessarily...but to say that Europe was the only one to embrace it is actually not correct, even if they do indeed tend to embrace a lot of garbage. I mean they did give the Spice Girls their big start.

Not to stir the pot, but the Council of Europe recognises 47 member countries...

That's so tragic. Basically, American audiences are treated as dumber. It's the same reason some films have different endings for the US audience and European ones -- the less challenging, more formulaic one being for the Americans.

As a person who tries to appreciate more challenging things, I'd be pissed that I'm being dragged down with the refuse drives everything to the lowest common denominator -- from reshooting the ending for "Fatal Attraction" so it has more action and less realism to applauding crap like "Fringe" and "Desperate Housewives" and "CSI" and "Titanic" over Battlestar Galactica.

U2 should be bold and release another "The Fly"; so not everybody gets it; that's not the point. If they play the ratings game, nothing changes, and U2 have always been in the game to change it.

Whatever, as long as it's on the album, I'm fine with it.

Well, Americans ARE statistically less intelligent than Europeans. The formulaic endings are preferred here!

All I can say is WOW...Overt garbage that was Pop? Europeans simply got or understood what U2 was doing at that time. U2 was ahead of their time with Pop and Zooropa.

American music taste is garbage. Absolutely. U2 came out with REALLY safe albums as a result of the American response to Pop, which sucks because they didnt cut down any trees or do anything groundbreaking...my hope is with this new album they are comfortable doing another Pop. I do not want to hear the same albums regurgitated. There is no need for U2 to be around if they are not finding new territory.

just the response i was predicting! :up:

best post of the day and this time I mean it :up:

yes, everyone, Pop was cutting edge music meant for just you, and not the masses.

how brave it was to jump on the techno bandwagon! how fearless it was to try to turn Prodigy beats into stadium anthems!

:lol:

Not to stir the pot, but the Council of Europe recognises 47 member countries...

Oh shit...I just confirmed that too.

You know, Geography was much freaking easier when the USSR was the big pink blob on the top right side of the world map and all of the now fractured countries were still living together in perfect harmony and oppression. :wink:

Thanks for the info though man...I would have felt really embarrassed had I of been on the game show Jeopardy. :D

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Unless they're going to play some sort of super duper special show, they'll only play in arenas in the US.

U2 are no longer a stadium band in the US. They are better suited for arenas.

By no longer a stadium band what are you saying? tey sure as hell could sell out Stadiums in the US and Canada so I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.
Unless your'e just pointing out the obvious fact that they don't do it anymore than yeah but it has nothing to do with their ability to be a stadium band in North America.

rjhbonovox thanks for clearing that up

i remember The Fly being a short lived single. I loved the 4 single approach to that album with the single artwork creating a complete "4 guys in a Trabant" image.

One of the great things about AB was that they released several killer singles. First off, it's awesome that they had so many fantastic songs & could do that. Second, doing so pretty much allowed them to own the early 90s. MW, One, EBTTRT, and WGRYWH were on the radio constantly (less so for The Fly, as I recall). There are a handful of songs that come to mind when I think of the early 90s, and the majority of them are U2's. I hope that there are just as many great songs on the new disc & that they can release several killer singles from this one, too----it was pretty disappointing to hear little more from HTDAAB than Vertigo on the radio. I heard COBL twice, and I don't think I ever heard Sometimes.

i just want the album to be relevant as AB was very relevent for the early 90s. this is the main point of my thread actually.

the huge promotion, the new sound, the grandios stage and stage antics. to be honest i think this is what we all strive for from bono ever since the white flag.

that's why i think so many very big bands still look up to them to actually lead the rock music industry to some respect. look at the recent support acts from 4 years ago and look at where they are now.

wow, way to paint in broad, inaccurate, self-congratulatory strokes.

considering it was the Europeans who embraced the overt garbage that was the Pop album -- perhaps they're more easily distracted by bright, shiny things designed to disguise the lack of substance or quality -- i guess i'm proud to be an American?

Pop lacks substance when compared to ATYCLB and HTDAAB? Shit, just match up Please and Wake Up Dead Man's lyrics to anything from either and there's simply no contest. It may overreach, but Pop has more lyrical depth and musical creativity than any album U2 has released this decade.

Ultraviolet should have been an AB single

Miracle Drug deserved the same

I am going back to my thought about knock-your-socks-off rocker with Edge's new distortion box

^yp... i havent seen a bad sign yet.. (evenwill.i.am... i hate him, but diversity cant be bad, esp since its not like he will "sing" on the album)

Interesting that Lanois and now Q both make comparisons to AB regarding this album.

Back
Top Bottom