Speculation: Bonus Track & ITUNES Exclusives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty sure the bonus track is NLOTH 2 , and the "exclusive iTunes" track will be Winter as it appears on the DVD "Linear" but not on the album itself.

not confirmed, but would make sense

I think tripoli is the same as Fez-BB

and winter is "White as snow"

so I dont think it will be those 2... probably some remixes or maybe a fast-cars type of deal.
Now that we have the album we have something else to look forward to!! :hyper:

It's been confirmed that Winter IS NOT White as Snow, and reported that Winter is one of the 3 extra songs on LINEAR.

I don't see any reason to connect Tripoli and Fez-Being Born except that they're both Arabian cities. That's not convincing.

3 extra songs on LINEAR and we know 3 song titles that almost made it onto the album: Winter, Tripoli, Every Breaking wave. Odds are good that these are the missing pieces.

It's been confirmed that Winter IS NOT White as Snow, and reported that Winter is one of the 3 extra songs on LINEAR.

Hang on a sec...I think we have some speculation being treated as fact.

Someone said "Winter is in the film Linear". From what I've read, that's all facts we have.

It is very possible that Winter is in fact White as Snow. And that the person made the statement (or knew of the song) prior to it being renamed.

We also don't know for sure that we actually have 3 extra songs on Linear. More speculation being treated as fact. There is a (non-English) story stating the film has 14 songs. That's all we know.

There is no proof:
1) they are all U2 songs
2) they are all new songs
3) they are NLOTH songs and not merely 14 instrumentals unrelated to the album tracks
3) that NLOTH2 isn't one of the 14 tracks
4) that FEZ-Being Born aren't treated as 2 separate tracks in the 14 count

Hang on a sec...I think we have some speculation being treated as fact.

Someone said "Winter is in the film Linear". From what I've read, that's all facts we have.

It is very possible that Winter is in fact White as Snow. And that the person made the statement (or knew of the song) prior to it being renamed.

We also don't know for sure that we actually have 3 extra songs on Linear. More speculation being treated as fact. There is a (non-English) story stating the film has 14 songs. That's all we know.

There is no proof:
1) they are all U2 songs
2) they are all new songs
3) they are NLOTH songs and not merely 14 instrumentals unrelated to the album tracks
3) that NLOTH2 isn't one of the 14 tracks
4) that FEZ-Being Born aren't treated as 2 separate tracks in the 14 count

Proof? We won't have PROOF until we see the movie. But Winter and WAS had different lengths and the report that it was in LINEAR made it clear that it was the album PLUS Winter. Could they be mistaken? Anything could happen, but I don't see any reason to doubt this one.
The reports on LINEAR said it was the album plus Winter. They said it was 90 minutes and 14 songs. Yes, NLOTH 2 could be one of them. I'll even give you that it's possible that FEZ-BEING born get counted as 2 tracks. But this doesn't seem likely. Unless reports are incorrect we have:

14 songs
90 minutes
The album plus Winter

But it could turn out that its secretly an animate feature with music by Smashing Pumpkins... I don't have PROOF otherwise... But we have no reason to believe so.

But Winter and WAS had different lengths and the report that it was in LINEAR made it clear that it was the album PLUS Winter. Could they be mistaken? Anything could happen, but I don't see any reason to doubt this one.

:up: I do agree, and we do not know more about it. On the other hand I would not count on the old theory of "Tripoli" being a different tune than "Fez-Being Born". Why?
1. The early reviews try to describe the working title track ''Tripoli" as a two-sided song, switching from ZOOROPA-stlye elements to arena-rock (what actually sounds a lot like the transitory "Fez-Being Born")
2. On "Tripoli" was commented, that it is the story of a journey by motorcycle (which you can actually hear at least twice for several seconds in "Being Born", a kind of Vespa-sound).
3. 'Tripoli' is a story, that is located around Cadiz (which is actually named in "Being Born").
4. The also metaphoric journey ends in Africa, where the fire is burning (while Bono sings in "Being Born" about the Atlantic Sea and even the African sun).
5. The character in 'Tripoli' is a borderline guy between Europe and Africa, an observer, a man with different roots, e reflective persona on his jorney (which is actually exactly the kind of character, that comes to your mind, when you hear, HOW Bono sings "Being Born").

My conclusion: The old "Tripoli" has a new title on the album and is called "Fez-being Born" now. An alternative to this theory is still possible though: There does exist an earlier version of the tune, which has still the title "Tripoli" and might sound a little different so.
But one thing I'd take for sure: "Tripoli" and "Fez-Being Born" are not completly different tracks. On the contrary, they are identical. Of course, this theory does not speak for a tune called "Tripoli" on 'Linear'.:wink:

:up: I do agree, and we do not know more about it. On the other hand I would not count on the old theory of "Tripoli" being a different tune than "Fez-Being Born". Why?
1. The early reviews try to describe the working title track ''Tripoli" as a two-sided song, switching from ZOOROPA-stlye elements to arena-rock (what actually sounds a lot like the transitory "Fez-Being Born")
2. On "Tripoli" was commented, that it is the story of a journey by motorcycle (which you can actually hear at least twice for several seconds in "Being Born", a kind of Vespa-sound).
3. 'Tripoli' is a story, that is located around Cadiz (which is actually named in "Being Born").
4. The also metaphoric journey ends in Africa, where the fire is burning (while Bono sings in "Being Born" about the Atlantic Sea and even the African sun).
5. The character in 'Tripoli' is a borderline guy between Europe and Africa, an observer, a man with different roots, e reflective persona on his jorney (which is actually exactly the kind of character, that comes to your mind, when you hear, HOW Bono sings "Being Born").

My conclusion: The old "Tripoli" has a new title on the album and is called "Fez-being Born" now. An alternative to this theory is still possible though: There does exist an earlier version of the tune, which has still the title "Tripoli" and might sound a little different so.
But one thing I'd take for sure: "Tripoli" and "Fez-Being Born" are not completly different tracks. On the contrary, they are identical. Of course, this theory does not speak for a tune called "Tripoli" on 'Linear'.:wink:

That all makes sense! I guess we'll know for sure soon enough. Maybe we'll get Winter, Every Breaking Wave, the album, plus NLOTH 2? I'd be okay with that.

The lyrical similarities between Fez and Tripoli don't prove shit, because the original concept of the album had recurring characters. So it's certainly possible for both songs to have similar imagery.

Also, we know from that long article/interview that the working title of Fez was Chromium Chords. If the Rolling Stone and Q articles already had it listed as Tripoli, wouldn't the writer have known about that alternate title?

It's not gonna be Tripoli, Tripoli = Fez/Being Born.

Check the Fez/Being Born Appreciation thread, page 5, for detailed arguments on why I must be correct.

I want the ambient No Line On The Horizon, or Every Breaking Wave.

The lyrical similarities between Fez and Tripoli don't prove shit, because the original concept of the album had recurring characters. So it's certainly possible for both songs to have similar imagery.

Also, we know from that long article/interview that the working title of Fez was Chromium Chords. If the Rolling Stone and Q articles already had it listed as Tripoli, wouldn't the writer have known about that alternate title?

Can't the song from a record that has being recorded for two years have plenty of working titles? Especially a song that features different sections?

About the similar imagery, possible, but the descriptions given by RS follow almost the exact same pattern as Being Born; motorcycle, Cadiz, African sun.

If Being Born is not Tripoli, it could be that Bono used some "Tripoli" lyrics on it, which is something he had done before (Levitate/Miracle Drug, for example).

Really the only and best argument in favor or Tripoli NOT being FEZ-BB at this point is that Tripoli existed in a "finished" form as recently as December. It was played for journalists. It was nearly on the album.... Maybe it was just a title change? I don't know. I guess we will in a week or two though... :)

NLOTH Bonus track

Hi people!

what song do you think that will be the bonus track of the album?

mercy?

any ideas?

Well in one of the final Neil Mccormak videos it said in the last 24 hours that 2 songs were ditched and I believe it said 3 songs were reworked.So its quite possible that Fez=Being Born could be Tripoli,but its also possible that it isnt.As the case with White as Snow and Winter.Every Breaking Wave might be one of the ditched tracks.

the songs could go to this

The future is another question for another interview. How long can U2 stay meaningful? Where will rock's greatest adventure end? For now, there is enough material left over from the sessions for an album that, Bono says, will be released before the end of the year. It will be "a more meditative album on the theme of pilgrimage".

proof of other songs

Songs - and characters - still survive from Dublin, but the album's narrative arc has since been jettisoned, along with two other songs, Winter and Every Breaking Wave, in the last few frantic days of recording.

and fez is not tripoli because it used to be called something else

Later, Bono will play me three other almost finished songs: Unknown Caller, No Line on the Horizon and Chromium Chords, which will later be re-titled Fez - Being Born.

proof of other songs

Songs - and characters - still survive from Dublin, but the album's narrative arc has since been jettisoned, along with two other songs, Winter and Every Breaking Wave, in the last few frantic days of recording.

and fez is not tripoli because it used to be called something else

Later, Bono will play me three other almost finished songs: Unknown Caller, No Line on the Horizon and Chromium Chords, which will later be re-titled Fez - Being Born.

VERY interesting!

NLOTH Itunes Bonus Tracks...What are they?

Hello all,

I was going to pre-order the Itunes version of NLOTH, but they still haven't listed the bonus tracks in the US. What gives? The album comes out on Tuesday. You think they would let Itunes listeners know the names of all the songs on it. :confused: I emailed Itunes a week ago, and they said they were waiting on word from the record company. I would really like to know the exclusive pre-order track before I pre-order. Makes sense doesn't it?

Well, there are 2 bonus tracks. "Winter" would make sense. I would love it if "Mercy" was the other. I have my doubts on both though. It might just be 2 remixes of tunes from the album, or even live tracks. Just let us know already.

I was about to post this same question. It's really tricky they way iTunes is playing this! You can only get one of the "Bonus Tracks" if you Pre-Order from them, but it seems like they won't reveal what that bonus track is until the album is released, based on the their cryptic information so far.

It lists the following tracks:

1-11 standard track listing
12 Bonus Track [iTunes Exclusive]
13 Bonus Track [Pre-Order Only]
15 Anton Corbijn's Exclusive Film "Linear"
16 Digital Booklet - NLOTH
17 Digital Booklet - Collector's Magazine

So what are the "iTunes Exclusive" and "Pre-Order Only" and where is number 14? It already lists "Linear." This may have been answered elsewhere in the Forums but I have overlooked it. Thanks.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom