Songs on this album are going to be a beach to play live for U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking this album will either have every song played most nights, or not too many. We do say about just about every song "how will they do that without blah blah" but they manage.

I was thinking the same thing. This is the most complicated album to play live since Pop.

I'm having trouble seeing Bono hit all these high notes! He better be taking care of his voice!

No, that won't be the issue, there really aren't that many hard notes to hit for Bono on this album...

The quick phrasing will be difficult to do live. It would be difficult for anyone, but especially for someone who moves around as much as Bono...

But there are going to be a lot of backing tracks, just like there has been since ZooTv.

The only thing I wonder about is how they will tackle all the harmonies. Will they fake them or leave them?

Oh, the other thing that will be difficult is this album has some very long and mellow songs, I'm thinking we'll get abbreviated versions like that of Wake Up Dead Man, if they do them at all...

I don't think they will shorten any songs. Played live, most songs even get longer. I see more problems with the harmonies and different sounds than with Bono's voice. His voice is in great form and there isn't anything really difficult for him to sing on the album.

I'd just love to see them be bold (as they have on the album) and start concerts by launching into 7 songs straight from the new album as they did in the ZooTV glory days. Unlike all previous albums since (except maybe Pop), they've got the songs and real change in direction to make it stand out. The unrelenting 30min barrage of newness and the strength of the new material was what made ZooTV so good.

They will have a lot of difficulty getting these songs accros live.
there are at least 2/3 guitars in each songs. the structure of the songs are also not "stadium"friendly if you know what I mean. That being said, I love the record I am just "afraid"that they will not sound fantastic live without additional musicians and this has allways been u2's strengh. even AB songs were actualy easy to play live songs if you bring them a bit back to basic. in the case of nloth it is a different story. very interesting to see what they will come up with.

I'm more worried about Bono losing his breath and remembering the lyrics than the quality of his voice. He better start working out! Surely they will have to set up somewhere for a few weeks for rehearsals to get it all together. Like they did in Hershey before ZooTV. Somewhere in Europe this time I'm guessing.

What is promising is that these songs have so many nostalgic sing a long moments that if they can find a way around the harmonies than we can have some epic tracks!

Exciting stuff

P.S I love the sing a long

I believe too that this is going to be hard to translate live. The songs have too much of everything. And yeah his voice is going to suffer. Mos will give him a a run for his money when played live.

That guy from El Salvador who went to Hanover Quay last week said they were rehearsing, and they got NLOTH and Breathe performed in front of them, for what it's worth.

I felt the same way about POP. U2 will make these songs work live, thats what they do. Some elements will be stripped while the essence of the song will remain giving it, its own live identity. :up:

There are going to be a lot of backing tracks on this tour. Look at the live versions of boots we have. Lots of backing tracks in there. I think Bono sounded great at the Brit awards. I wouldnt be worried about the quality of his voice. Lets just hope he doesnt try to go all out Rattle and Hum because I think that may blast it back into what it was a few years ago.

Just like Doves and Coldplay, they will strip down the arrangements and continue to use some backing vox, as most band do's ...with backing vox and keyboards.

They all wear in-ear monitors so they can get a click track should they need one, or to hear a specific part louder, etc.

Actually, Larry plays with a click most of the time live now, at least "I think" I read that. Which is pretty common since sequenced parts are coming in, it is critical for him to always be counting and on.

Its almost harder to play it this way.

They will manage, with or without people hiding below the stage (actually I don't care).
All I want is only the 4 members on stage playing music. Mofo was done incredibly well live and it has so many sounds going on.... they will manage.
Can't wait to see that:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Personally, I'm fine with either just the four guys on stage or having Eno and Lanois on tour with them. They DID play on the album, after all...:shrug:

Terry will take keyboard duties as usual, maybe Dallas will also be playing some extra guitars from the underworld. Like someone mentioned there will be different arrangements made, except for the intro to Magnificient which is really really good. I can perfectly imagine MOS (already with the acronyms!) being played alá running to stand still or miss sarajevo from the vertigo tour, with edge on keyboards. :drool:

Apart from that, most songs can be arranged with bono doing rythm guitar and keys to get the wall of sound they've done here. Most of the guitar parts to me sound overdubbed, but it's the same part, so I'm sure they'll set up a rig, where edge's guitar comes out as two different sounds layered on top of eachother.

I have the feeling they're going to start the setlists with a long dose of NLOTH, similar to ZooTV when they did a long dose of AB to start.

I can definitely see
1. NLOTH open the shows (album version)
2. segue into Magnificent
3. UC
4. MOS
5. Crazy
6. then older tune (vertigo probably...)
then a few other tunes, ala Breath, Boots, SUC mixed into the rest of the set.

Yeh, if they got MOFO to work then anything can be done I bet.

mofo is a different song and not so difficult actualy.
the whole song is based on the synthbass and no guitarriffs.
this album has so much layers guitarwise and synthwise that his WILL be difficult. I normally re-arange stuff for cover(bands) in order for them to play things live. nothing is impossoble offcours but I have great difficulty in finding a "solution" for MOS for instance. Fez-being born the same story. I believe that Winter and Cedars you can forget, they will never play those live. Breath, no line, magnificent, boots, stand up, Unknown caller and crazy are 99,99% sure

exciting times at least

A few thoughts:
-If there's one album track they're not going to play, it's FEZ. Crazy soundscape is crazy. I can imagine them running FEZ over the PA and then playing Being Born, however.
-Who said the thing about a 15-minute MOS jam session? Whoever you are, you get a cookie. :drool::drool::drool:
-I wonder if they're going to "preview" some tracks from the new LP like they did with some Zooropa songs on ZooTV...
-White as Snow and a stripped-down version of Cedars would work really, really, REALLY well for the B-stage.

Back
Top Bottom