Songs of Innocence downloaded 26 million times, 81 million 'experienced' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Midweek uk sales

1 Ella Henderson - Chapter One (26.3k) *
2 Jessie J - Sweet Talker (11.2k) *
3 Ed Sheeran - x (10.3k)
4 U2 - Songs Of Innocence (10.2k) *
5 George Ezra - Wanted On Voyage (7k)

Number 2 may still be possible i think

Oh yeah, the album isn't selling well, that's clearly a sign that U2 are on the decline....except for the 26 friggin' million people who downloaded it for free a month ago.

Oh yeah, the album isn't selling well, that's clearly a sign that U2 are on the decline....except for the 26 friggin' million people who downloaded it for free a month ago.

But let's all freak out & argue over it anyway.

Midweek uk sales

3 Ed Sheeran - x (10.3k)

They also have a lot of media exposure in the UK this week which only really started last night on Jo Wiley. You've then got the Graham Norton Show as well tomorrow night (which I think is actually recorded tonight?).

Midweek uk sales

3 Ed Sheeran - x (10.3k)

See this is what still confuses me. If these are midweek numbers, that would lead me to believe that U2 will end up with around 20k by weeks end.

That would almost be as high as the numbers being given for the U.S.! Which I just can't see being possible.

Damn it. I don't like not knowing what's going on. :angry:

See this is what still confuses me. If these are midweek numbers, that would lead me to believe that U2 will end up with around 20k by weeks end.

That would almost be as high as the numbers being given for the U.S.! Which I just can't see being possible.

Maybe the album just isnt selling in america

Typically the ratio of U2 sales UK to US is about 3-1. That would make more sense because it would mean U2 would sell about 100k in the US. But like you, I'm confused.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Still number 2 on Amazon US, just for the deluxe cd. The regular cd is 60 and the LP is 90 I think.

On Amazon UK the deluxe cd is also still at number 2 overall (number 1 is Pink Flloyd which isn't out til Nov!), with the regular cd at number 33 and the LP at number 179.

Seems to be pretty good rankings on Amazon, which surely must be the biggest physical retailer?

Still number 2 on Amazon US, just for the deluxe cd. The regular cd is 60 and the LP is 90 I think.

On Amazon UK the deluxe cd is also still at number 2 overall, with the regular cd at number 33 and the LP at number 179.

Seems to be pretty good rankings on Amazon, which surely must be the biggest physical retailer?

Amazon and hmv must be the biggest i think seeing as the supermarkets arent stocking the album

Some people order dessert and then claim they've had two meals.

Dessert is more of a bonus than a second meal. Don't get me wrong, some dessert like lava cake with ice cream, is good enough to be part of the main meal but alas as good as it is, the crystal ballroom....I mean lava cake is regulated to dessert.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

In other words, most people don't wank after just wanking?

Never got that memo. Huh.

most people are idiots though
im not against doubling my pleasure, so to speak
in fact i started a POLL about that very topic here, once, a long long time ago. Doubt anyone remembers it though.

Vertigo x 2

I think there's a bit of confusion on "automatic download" of the record vs. the record being put into your iTunes cloud content.

EVERYONE who has an iTunes account got SOI put into their cloud library. Everyone. It was there whether you asked for it or not. But the 11 AAC song files only automatically downloaded to your device (iPhone, or Mac/PC with iTunes) if you had the setting for automatic downloads checked. If you didn't have this option checked, you had to manually click to download it from the cloud. That's why there was confusion deleting it at first...it's easy to delete physical song files, but not so simple to remove cloud content (before the removal tool you only had the option of "hiding" albums you didn't want to see).

But everyone had the record in their cloud library, so some people are upset about the auto download, and some people are upset that it was in their cloud library at all. U2 and Apple could have just made it simple and made the record available to download for free from the iTunes store (without putting it in your cloud library) if they wanted to do it that way, but in this case they couldn't have called it the "biggest album release in history"...nor would the record have ultimately reached nearly as many people.

I think there's a bit of confusion on "automatic download" of the record vs. the record being put into your iTunes cloud content.

EVERYONE who has an iTunes account got SOI put into their cloud library. Everyone. It was there whether you asked for it or not. But the 11 AAC song files only automatically downloaded into your device (iPhone, or Mac/PC with iTunes) if you had the setting for automatic downloads checked. If you didn't have this option checked, you had to manually click to download it from the cloud. That's why there was confusion deleting it at first...it's easy to delete physical song files, but not so simple to remove cloud content (before the removal tool you only had the options of "hiding" albums you didn't want to see).

But everyone had the record in their cloud library, so some people are upset about the auto download, and some people are upset that it was in their cloud library at all. U2 and Apple could have just made it simple and made the record available to download for free from your cloud library if they wanted to do it that way, but in this case they couldn't have called it the "biggest album release in history"...nor would the record have ultimately reached nearly as many people.

I've been a big defender of the release method just because its groundbreaking and in a few years, people will look at all this differently.

That being said, part of me wishes they would have just done a free single, like you said, placed on everyones cloud but they wouldn't actually receive it unless they clicked a button.
And then to correspond with Apples 40th, sell the album for 4 weeks at $4.40.
Along with their back catalog.

I really think they probably would have gotten around 6 to 700k sales that first week.

They even could have had a pop up on everyones iTunes, so when they opened up iTunes a message would say - would you like to download U2's new album for only $4.40? YES, or No Thanks

I think it would have been viewed just as innovatively, but would have come off as looking like a huge success.

just my 2 cents. I still like the fact that 26 million people got the album and many more million streamed it.

Just because I loved it so much, I going to paste Earnie Shavers great idea for the release here again. :)

The funny thing is, the 'biggest' way they could have sent this (on an all positive direction) would have been to just quietly out of nowhere load it onto their iTunes page, for free, and not said a single word. Nothing from U2. Nothing from Apple. Nothing from Universal. Just wait. It would have taken minutes to be discovered. The news goes everywhere. No word from anyone. Is it a mistake? Grab it quickly just in case.And then wait some more. Like, a week more. Let people just take it and listen and wonder wtf is this all about. Would have generated an almost equal level of noise because it's new and unusual and kinda funny - and entirely positive.

IMO, it would have been so cool seeing Twitter, etc. take off with people saying things like "iTunes f*cked up and put the new U2 record on there for free...quick download it before they take it down!" , etc. Some people would have recognised it as marketing, sure...but the social media conversation about the release would have been totally different. No one complaining about forced downloads etc...just a lot of "WOW, what's going on!" type of convo. It would have been fun...how many people would download it just to check it out and be part of the fun...rather than having something dumped on them?

Not that I'm complaining about what they did, all these guys at Apple are smarter at marketing than I am, to be sure, and I was happy to get the record for free. I just think they could have avoided the whole "Here's U2 being obnoxious trying to be the biggest band in the world again" meme and reset the narrative on the band by going a different direction.

I'm curious as to how many U2 fans did not purchase the album... since Apple had already footed the bill, I sure didn't :reject:

I only buy the CD's to keep up with my U2 collection (which solely consists of the CD's and DVD's...U2Brothr would be ashamed). Except for the U2 records and a few other select titles I'm sentimental about, I ripped my entire CD collection to lossless and sold it a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom