Songs of Innocence (Bonus Disc) Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too am baffled as to why Crystal Ballroom was left of the album. Very strange decision - it's funky, catchy and fresh.
I understand why with regards to Lucifer's Hands as the middle part of the song makes it more of a B-side.

:down:

Listening to Lucifer's Hands again however you can really sense the potential with it. The opening minute just grabs you, but the middle lets it down and contains some lazy lyrics from Bono towards the end. I wish they had spent more time on it and fleshed it out more so that it could've been included on the album alongside Crystal Ballroom.

I'm digressing here but one of the primary criticisms I have of U2 since ATYCLB is that the crowd-stoking aspect of the band has often exceeded or overreached the music itself where before it was much more self contained within the music. Thankfully only The Miracle and Volcano venture into this territory on SOI. On the latter it's done successfully but it grates with me on the former. It's this aspect of the band that people have grown weary off, together with Edge's sound which seems ubiquitous to a certain degree given that it has influenced so many other bands. That's not a reason for him not to use it of course but I found the second half of the album refreshing for it's general absence.

That being said, I'm still of the firm belief that SOI is their best album since POP and I'm greatly looking forward to SOE.

i guess im alone here but im personally waiting to hear the bonus stuff until the physical release on tuesday, which kind of makes it exciting to buy the thing, other than just being a collector.

Sounds good from what you all are saying though

You're not alone. We can come back to this thread Tuesday(night for me) and talk about what we think ;)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I just heard the 12" mix at u2.com. This song has huge hit potential. Only thing that bothers me a bit is how much it sounds like The Black Keys. On the other hand that band is very big at the moment. I definitely think this song would play a lot on the radio.

I was going to do that, but broke down and downloaded. Stamos told me to do it.......He's irresistible. What Stamos wants, Stamos gets.

Same. This is where Pop left off. It's almost as if this is what they've been trying to do since 1997.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Not saying you're not entitled to think that, but isn't that what some post-NLOTH sentiment was like too?

Not saying you're not entitled to think that, but isn't that what some post-NLOTH sentiment was like too?

NLOTH was overcooked from the beginning. :doh: And the middle three were atrocious. I wasnt nearly as in love with NLOTH as I am with this, and the post-album euphoria wore off fairly quickly. This album keeps getting better with each listen. And if Adam is to be believed, SoE is only going to further that experience.

Gonna try and give it another listen. And whilst I agree that Epworth and Tedder probably was good for the album, they're not credited on the liner notes for The Troubles - finished version is still DM.

Still, interesting stuff, although I don't see myself going back to any of the acoustic tracks much. They prove Bono's point that the songs can stand well on their own, but not much else I think.

Crystal Ballroom, however, what a track.
Am I the only one who thought of Bowie's Ashes to Ashes the first time I heard it?

I can hear a bit of Bowie, but I immediately heard Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music. Irresistably infectious sound to this one.

I really wish they worked on Lucifers Hands, Crystal Ballroom, and Invisible until they were completed. Dump Miracle, EBW, and SFS.

And the Apple iPhone commercial would be 1 minute of Crystal Ballroom with old footage of Bowie, Ferry/Roxy, and Robert Palmer! :D

NLOTH was overcooked from the beginning. :doh: And the middle three were atrocious. I wasnt nearly as in love with NLOTH as I am with this, and the post-album euphoria wore off fairly quickly. This album keeps getting better with each listen. And if Adam is to be believed, SoE is only going to further that experience.

exactly my thoughts....and this bonus disc makes SOI that much more awesome

Crazy talk...those are all great songs...:crazy:

U2 is U2, whether they are making great 'pop' tunes or getting 'dark' and 'serious'...:yes:...all three of the songs you suggest 'dumping' are all great pop tunes!

Crystal Ballroom is indeed a great song but am kind of surprised by the hyperbole. I wouldn't change anything from the proper album, and the fact that Crystal Ballroom is on the bonus CD makes no difference to me. It's all part of one work.

And I love the acoustic versions! The tide on the forum seems to be shifting toward saying they are "no good," but have to disagree.

I can't comment on the "regular" Crystal Ballroom since I'm waiting for the CD, but I just listened to the 12-inch mix on U2.com and all I can say is whoah, The Arcade Fire should get royalties from that.

Arcade Fire, should get what?
I thought this was a U2 original.
I know Arcade Fire music but this does not sound like them.
Not to me, at least.

12" Mix of Crystal Ballroom is so good. Extended Edge solo yes please.

Why this track isn't on the album... :doh:

Release it as a single to promote the album release you twats! This is what a U2/DM song should sound like.

12" Mix of Crystal Ballroom is so good. Extended Edge solo yes please.

Why this track isn't on the album... :doh:

Release it as a single to promote the album release you twats! This is what a U2/DM song should sound like.

Twats. :giggle:

Not sure I like that idea; Win Butler is enough of a douche without an honorary knighthood from the Queen.

Agree 100 percent. The fact that this song reminds me of Arcade Fire is not a good thing. :( But hey, it's just a remix and not the "real" version. :)

Well if that sounds like Arcade Fire then Arcade Fire owes Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music because that is what I hear especially at the beginning, with a bit of Bowie mixed in and later in the song I'm starting to hear a bit of The Clash and even early Robert Palmer.

This song is ALL late 1970s, ALL the time.

I can't comment on the "regular" Crystal Ballroom since I'm waiting for the CD, but I just listened to the 12-inch mix on U2.com and all I can say is whoah, The Arcade Fire should get royalties from that.

Please tell me you're kidding. If not, then in that case Arcade Fire owes royalties not only to U2 but to dance music in general. Reflector is a great song, but it's highly derivative. Highly.

Sent from my ass crack

If the Crystal Ballroom is derivative of any other group's work it's Broken Bells, as the song could fit easily on After The Disco.

But considering as Broken Bells is simply Danger Mouse with a singer, this should not surprise anyone.

It does not sound like Arcade Fire, and those who think it does are silly.

And on that... I think U2 freaked out about the album sounding too Danger Mouse instead of U2, which is why it took so long and why they eventually brought in Epworth and Tedder.

And they didn't need to do that.

I like this album, but I don't think of it in the same breath of the all time classics. I feel I may have if it was a solely Danger Mouse produced album.

So I'm torn. I can't say they fucked up because the album is damn good... but at the same time, I gotta think they fucked up a little.

They're never going to not fuck up in some way again. Too desperate, too cautious, too second-guessing.

Luckily they can still make great music despite this.

11711-albums389-picture2991.jpg

My new tracklisting for SOI

i guess im alone here but im personally waiting to hear the bonus stuff until the physical release on tuesday, which kind of makes it exciting to buy the thing, other than just being a collector.

Sounds good from what you all are saying though

Nope, not alone! But I'm enjoying reading everyone's opinions for now.

Back
Top Bottom