Songs Of Experience XII : RIP U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you expect this Friday at the IHeartRadio festival?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I forget the names of the producers they were potentially working on material with other than Tedder and Lee. Can someone refresh my memory? Any tweets or any info they may have shared?

Rick Rubin
Paul Epworth
Chris Martin
George Clinton
Jerry Harrison
Steve Albini
Trent Reznor
Joylon Thomas
Mark Ronson
Puff Daddy
P Diddy
Sean Combs
Andy Barlow
Jimmy Iovine
Phil Spector
Timbaland
Dr. Dre
Butch Vig
Pharrell
Quincy Jones
Max Martin
Will.i.am
Kanye West
Kim Kardashian
Kourtney Kardashian
Khloe Kardashian
Rob Kardashian
Kris Kardashian
Chris Brown
George Clooney
Nigel Godrich
Mutt Lange
Brendan O'Brien
Bob Rock
Alan Parsons

Just an idea: Maybe the band doesn't actually perform the new song, but it's incorporated in some other way- maybe a video montage of 40 years with TBT (or whatever) playing in the background. The song then is immediately available. That would at least cut down on the needed rehearsal time, if they only do the warhorses live :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If U2 want to be relevant, as they constantly say... Release a new album AT LEAST every two years.

Or... In this age of streaming and downloads, release a STRONG 4-5 song EP EVERY year.

Promising albums and failing to deliver makes them look weak. It doesn't make them appear relevant. It makes them appear to second guess themselves. And the attempts to work with the producer de jour comes off as 'thirsty' too. Proof? Very little of the work they've done with all of the hip new kids has produced any fruit.

Kudos for trying. Kudos for attempting to work with different people, I guess. But being that little to none of the songs have seen the light of day is telling.

Songs of Ascent?! In 2009 we were told it was virtually finished. It would be released sooner than later. Which of these songs had seen the light of day? We're any on SOI?

Instead they went off with various producers making (supposedly) a dance record and a rock record. I love SOI. But it doesn't appear to be any of what was mentioned back in 2010/2011 As SOA.

Songs of Experience is DEAD IN THE WATER. Unless there's some miracle and it is released SOONER THAN LATER.

Are they second guessing their second guessing? No idea.

Perplexing (yet now the norm) that they talk up what is "nearly finish" and then... Nothing.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Typically I'm a reader and not a poster but meltdown has hit alarming levels.

There are too many big name artists playing iHeart radio for U2 to use it as a launching pad for new material. Count me in for the camp expecting a greatest hits set. They've already announced that SOE would be a companion piece to SOI; scraping it now would be an embarrassment. They need to do this right or they will have difficulty climbing out of the hole they dug with the Apple release (which I thought was kind of cool).

If they open with Miracle I might be done.

Theres probably at least a 50% chance that this does indeed happen.

Even if there is a new single, it might be played 2nd or last.

Miracle as the opener is not out of the realm of possibility.

So are we still in the doom and gloom/meltdown stage or are we now transitioning back to a the album will be out this Friday stage? Interference is like the best of the best roller coaster I've ever been on!

My money is on warhorses/SOI tracks on Friday and no new info.

LOL @ talk of rehearsal time. It's a 30 minute set. How much time do they need to rehearse ONE new song + 5-6 greatest hits?

My predictions:

1. NO NEW MUSIC RELEASED THIS WEEK!

2. New song introduced to the world officially on Friday at iHeart show
GuessList:
The Best Thing
City of Blinding Lights
Mysterious Ways
New Years Day
ISHFWILF (the vid was filmed in Vegas after all)
Beautiful Day

3. SINGLE and Video in October

4. SOE...??? I say late October/early November (ATYCLB was released 10/30/2000) or...1st quarter 2017. But I think sooner than later....but no later than 3/30/2017!

I don't believe the Negative Nancys. The band is far too nonchalant to still be having any serious work to do with finishing the album. It has to be mostly done. If anything, it is probably Universal and the band's manager making the call on the final release date.

If they open with Miracle I might be done.

That would be bad, but just imagine if they open with Beautiful Day.
If they do 6 warhorses and that's it, I selfishly hope the performances are ramshackle and horribly under rehearsed. It would at least make it entertaining.

I forget the names of the producers they were potentially working on material with other than Tedder and Lee. Can someone refresh my memory? Any tweets or any info they may have shared?

Dave Seville.

I don't believe the Negative Nancys. The band is far too nonchalant to still be having any serious work to do with finishing the album. It has to be mostly done. If anything, it is probably Universal and the band's manager making the call on the final release date.

That's what I keep coming back to. Why would the band take a 2 month vacation if they still had so much work to do. Why would the band book themselves at the iHeart festival if their plan was just to take 2 months off then not release anything? It makes no sense. There clearly was a plan in place, and that plan was possibly jettisoned at some point. OR they're just going to bombard us out of nowhere sometime this week with something new.

By Saturday, we'll either be extremely excited about U2, or extremely confused by them.

LOL @ talk of rehearsal time. It's a 30 minute set. How much time do they need to rehearse ONE new song + 5-6 greatest hits?

well this is U2 we're talking about. Plus it's just professional. :huh:

well this is U2 we're talking about. Plus it's just professional. :huh:

they could spend 2 hours Wednesday and 2 hours Thursday doing that in L.A. (probably at The Edge's place)...

It's all very doable. It's not like they're launching a tour with a bunch of new songs this week.

Just wait until they play "Ordinary Love" and Bono comes up with some super cheesy tie-in to iHeart radio with the "your heart is on my sleeve" line.

Rick Rubin
Paul Epworth
Chris Martin
George Clinton
Jerry Harrison
Steve Albini
Trent Reznor
Joylon Thomas
Mark Ronson
Puff Daddy
P Diddy
Sean Combs
Andy Barlow
Jimmy Iovine
Phil Spector
Timbaland
Dr. Dre
Butch Vig
Pharrell
Quincy Jones
Max Martin
Will.i.am
Kanye West
Kim Kardashian
Kourtney Kardashian
Khloe Kardashian
Rob Kardashian
Kris Kardashian
Chris Brown
George Clooney
Nigel Godrich
Mutt Lange
Brendan O'Brien
Bob Rock
Alan Parsons

As long as you didn't list Shia LaBeouf. He has single-handedly destroyed wonderful 80's memories, one movie at a time. Let's not let him destroy music memories, too.

BTW, new music camp.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

So all of you chicken littles; what are you really basing this on? Have I missed something?

Things look like they're pointing at sooner rather than later I hope. The band seeming to be quite chilled for months and not stuck in the studio, a Kygo remix of a new U2 song that has been completed for quite a while, other DJ collabs/remixes/videos/who knows... looking possible with Khaled, Chainsmokers etc etc. Lillywhite on the case and in the mix, Terry and the rehearsal time, all the band in the right location, Bono with new look, VR thing may be a possibility.

The exposure and size of this event and what it would do for the band surely wont be missed or fecked up by them (yeah, I know...U2), and what gives me thought that we will get pretty much everything is the deafening SILENCE from the band considering every other artist is promoting new stuff.

Maybe they have been chilling the last months as they have put the album back, so they are getting everything else in place instead and will just release a new single, but I don't think that's the case.

Either we get the single and album this weekend, or just the single with a VR twist or something and an Oct/Nov album.

See, folk can be positive here! :D

Anyway, I'm going to go and almost enjoy a VR sammich whilst imagining that the band has fucking nailed it and have dreampt it all up again...

Well since yesterday bono was still in new york at some bill clinton conference away from larry, edge and adam. It doesent look like they are spending much time reheasing for a iheart radio performance. Especially if its NEW material. Wouldnt you think they would be doing a bit of rehearsal by now and not leave it so late? Or is only one or two days rehersal required?

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

We don't really know when, how or who has been rehearsing. Bono doesn't have to be there for the whole time anyway as the rest are sorting it out, also there are four days left.

Well since yesterday bono was still in new york at some bill clinton conference away from larry, edge and adam. It doesent look like they are spending much time reheasing for a iheart radio performance. Especially if its NEW material. Wouldnt you think they would be doing a bit of rehearsal by now and not leave it so late? Or is only one or two days rehersal required?

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

For one new song? Yeah

For Larry's face to heal? Probably not. ;)

Last edited:
I don't really know what the iheart thing is.... all a bit mystifying. But per the Rolling Stone thing I think we are past any reliable 'nothing until 2017 says U2 promoter' news as they seem to be (still) looking for inventive ways to release the album that challenges convention.. so I guess anything could happen. They better make sure it's fucking good though.

PS.. hello friends, haven't been here for a while, I like the new decor :)

Last edited:
Things look like they're pointing at sooner rather than later I hope. The band seeming to be quite chilled for months and not stuck in the studio, a Kygo remix of a new U2 song that has been completed for quite a while, other DJ collabs/remixes/videos/who knows... looking possible with Khaled, Chainsmokers etc etc. Lillywhite on the case and in the mix, Terry and the rehearsal time, all the band in the right location, Bono with new look, VR thing may be a possibility.

The exposure and size of this event and what it would do for the band surely wont be missed or fecked up by them (yeah, I know...U2), and what gives me thought that we will get pretty much everything is the deafening SILENCE from the band considering every other artist is promoting new stuff.

Maybe they have been chilling the last months as they have put the album back, so they are getting everything else in place instead and will just release a new single, but I don't think that's the case.

Either we get the single and album this weekend, or just the single with a VR twist or something and an Oct/Nov album.

See, folk can be positive here! :D

Anyway, I'm going to go and almost enjoy a VR sammich whilst imagining that the band has fucking nailed it and have dreampt it all up again...

I liked the sound of what you said then I saw this (below) and it's quite a depressing gig to dream anything up again.. iheart means nothing to most of the world, and sounds a bit shit.. and the line up is shocking.. this could be awful but I hope there is a twist but can't imagine how?

This year, the 2016 iHeartRadio Music Festival lineup includes U2, Sting, Britney Spears, Drake, Sam Hunt, twenty one pilots, Billy Idol, Florida Georgia Line, OneRepublic, Sia, Cage The Elephant, Zedd, Tears for Fears, Ariana Grande, Pitbull and Usher. The iHeartRadio Music Festival will also include performances from this year's Macy's iHeartRadio Rising Star winner, Los 5.This year's iHeartRadio Music Festival is also headed to a brand new venue -- the T-Mobile Arena!

what?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom