Songs of Experience XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like a lot of artists these days release first singles several months in advance of an album. U2 has historically released it about a month out. Maybe if they liked the first single enough, they decided to release it very early, with a 2nd single to coincide with a full album release and maybe the completion of another song or 2 for the album.

Just throwing that out there. The Lillywhite news has me a little nervous because he seems to specifically mention a single, and not an entire album getting mixed.

I'm not so sure - you just mentioned the presence of evidence, but didn't present any.

The argument for is fairly solidified with the whole beach clip, song played by Kygo live thing.
To be fair, if you're going to easily dismiss the Rolling Stone article (which cites the only semi-recent quote from someone actually "in the know") due to the misinformation (misdirection?) cited in Billboard shortly before SoI's release, then I think you could just as easily dismiss the whole Kygo performance as a repeat of what happened with Invisible.

But that's not to say I wholly disagree with your overall opinion of the likelihood that Songs of Experience will release this year (thought I might be more of a 60-40 guy, leaning a bit more towards an early 2017 release) :drunk:

I think the idea here is bono won't want it to overshadow what he's doing in Montreal

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well, would the conference in Montreal be newsworthy much farther than Montreal or Canada in general?

It's an important topic, and the PM of Canada will be involved, but seems to me the highest odds for one topic to potentially over-shadow the other is a limited geography and audience.

So single on Friday in the United States, and Canada Monday... or so says Morleigh's cat.

For a band that overthinks things way too much and hence the massive delays in their last few releases, they have certainly made some extremely poor calls. Boots, SUC, not releasing Glastonbury instead of Volcano, Song for Someone etc. They should just release stuff like in they did in the 80s when studio costs were a factor and time constraints were actually a real thing, and not worry about making the perfect record.

Well, would the conference in Montreal be newsworthy much farther than Montreal or Canada in general?

It's an important topic, and the PM of Canada will be involved, but seems to me the highest odds for one topic to potentially over-shadow the other is a limited geography and audience.

So single on Friday in the United States, and Canada Monday... or so says Morleigh's cat.

Not really. It's a global conference that will draw media attention. And for Bono it is very important. So while he doesn't need to be in a particular place for a release, he certainly doesn't want news about his single to overshadow news of his presence in Montreal. I guess the problem is not one event overshadowing another. They're very different news sections. But Bono being involved in both is an issue. Would the story go:
A. Bono, who is in Montreal right now, released a new song with U2 that...blabla
Or
B. Bono, who just released a new song with U2, is in Montreal for...blabla

Does anyone care about Bonos' whereabouts? Why draw a connection between those unrelated things?

While Adam does his morning run in LA, Bono saves the world in Montreal. Edge is totally messing up a finished record and Larry got replaced by his older but way cooler sibling.

Here is the new U2 single.... just that simple

Grrrr! New U2 music exists! Just let us hear it you miserable bastards!

You know what? This is ultimately what it boils down to.
Let your fan-base be the judge of whether it's good, or not.

Thom Yorke recently said that the surprise release mechanism has become exhausting. Just put a date out there, a tracklisting and release it. That's the new "surprise drop". This is just tedious.

Exactly! Most bands want their fans to hear new music,not this one!

The problem is they want EVERYONE to hear it on every hip and happenin' radio station on earth. As long as they're chasing the increasingly elusive hits this is how it's going to be with every new album. Assuming there are (m)any more after this.

Just listening to The Best Thing form the Kygo show - fuck this song is catchy.

Tried to not listen for the last week in anticipation of a release. Can't help it. Song is a real earworm, and needs a full release.

Just listening to The Best Thing form the Kygo show - fuck this song is catchy.

Tried to not listen for the last week in anticipation of a release. Can't help it. Song is a real earworm, and needs a full release.

If they do release TBT as a single, do you think this can be the relevant "hit" they were chasing after ?

I agree, it's catchy as fuck. Catchiest since "Vertigo" In my opinion

If they do release TBT as a single, do you think this can be the relevant "hit" they were chasing after ?

I agree, it's catchy as fuck. Catchiest since "Vertigo" In my opinion

I'm not convinced that any song they release will be a relevant hit.l, even if catchy.

I'm not convinced that any song they release will be a relevant hit.l, even if catchy.
If they didn't put their name to it and disguised Bonos voice so noone knew it was him itd be a hit!

What makes you say that ? Is it because of their ITunes/Iphone forced release for SOI fiasco ? Do you think the average audience is fed up of them already ?

PS: You're still mad at them for that right ? :wink:

Here's my prediction of what's coming up..

1) Single coming by end of September

2) Album in October

why ?

As misdirecting and big mouth Bono can be, i'm positive that the comments he made to a fan last August was pretty much revealing of what's next and was not trying to be misleading :

"Album is not finished (true, still final mixing being done until it drops), but you might see a few things in September and October."

I strongly doubt that he was only referring to iHeart and Dreamforce nor a 40th Anniversary event with no new material.

Not really. It's a global conference that will draw media attention. And for Bono it is very important. So while he doesn't need to be in a particular place for a release, he certainly doesn't want news about his single to overshadow news of his presence in Montreal. I guess the problem is not one event overshadowing another. They're very different news sections. But Bono being involved in both is an issue. Would the story go:
A. Bono, who is in Montreal right now, released a new song with U2 that...blabla
Or
B. Bono, who just released a new song with U2, is in Montreal for...blabla

Globally, likely A IMO -- Bono who is in Montreal fighting... and his mates just released...

Where I live the news stories would go something closer to... 20 years ago Tom Osborne and Nebraska won a championship... yesterday Mike Reilly and Nebraska lost a game... Mike and Tom are different in so many ways.... then something like... Hillary sucks... Benghazi.... Obama sucks.... Obamacare.... Warren Buffett said the economy.... Bono, Warren's friend, was in Montreal fighting poverty but people choose to remain in poverty....

Regarding "hit". In no way there will ever be an original new U2 song on top chart position again. I could imagine that a catchy Remix like Kygos' would stir things up.... but U2 are old bastards for mainstream media. Live on Tour they are big.... new music might come and go rather unnoticed.

I mean .. Sia has a new youtube video up for a new song... within a day there were 30 Million views...what were the figures for Invisible? 5 Million at best

I wouldnt rule out another big hit.

A great song will do wonders for them (and not just a great U2 song)

Guessing Bono doesn't want the One thing in Montreal to be seen as a publicity stop for U2 by anyone who could possibly spin it that way. So, single next week, if at all.

Didn't the Offspring hit number one with their latest (and probably most generic) rocker?

Not sure about Offspring, but pretty sure 40something Blink 182 did this summer with Bored To Death. Remember being shocked that a 'rock band' did so well. It's been awhile since the old guard (u2, coldplay, oasis, foo fighters, green day, etc) made a dent like that

For a band that overthinks things way too much and hence the massive delays in their last few releases, they have certainly made some extremely poor calls. Boots, SUC, not releasing Glastonbury instead of Volcano, Song for Someone etc. They should just release stuff like in they did in the 80s when studio costs were a factor and time constraints were actually a real thing, and not worry about making the perfect record.

Jeez you hated Volcano so much, lol

Technically...........Sia is 40 now, isn't that "old" by music industry standards?

Chris Martin is almost 40 (39) and Coldplay really are still a very current and relevant band. Say what you want about their new album (not a big fan, myself) but the other day I heard "adventure of a lifetime", "up & up" and "hymn to the weekend" on the radio, as well as "sky full of stars". That is relevance. The last time U2 had multiple songs from an album on the radio was in 2001, when they were roughly a little older than Coldplay are now. Coldplay are filling arenas and stadiums all over the world, they're definitely the biggest band in the right now.

Point is, Coldplay have maybe one more shot at a relevant album after this, and then they'll disappear down the ageism trap. Can't last forever, but they'll still be able to tour on a large scale for years to come. U2 got into that position with NLOTH and 360.

Point is, Coldplay have maybe one more shot at a relevant album after this, and then they'll disappear down the ageism trap. Can't last forever, but they'll still be able to tour on a large scale for years to come. U2 got into that position with NLOTH and 360.

It's a true statement as far as a successful TOURING band, U2 and COLDPLAY are still top powerhouse acts...

After all, musicians play their music in front of an audience, that's what we do. As long as there will be a full packed venue to hear them, they're all good ! :up:

Fuck album or single sales...they've already done it in the Millions ! Their place in Music History is made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom