Songs of Experience vs Songs of Innocence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find Experience better, although I do like Innocence a fair bit. I agree with what some have said here about melodies... Experience is a looser (in the sense tennis players use loose and tight), more confident album. I kind of get the feeling that while it was a good thought to write about their past, write about 30-40 years ago, there had to be a disconnect because not only is it hard to access the emotions of youth at the age of 53-54, but they were also very far removed in social and economic terms from four young Irish boys who were not sure whether they would amount to anything.
On Experience they were writing, singing and playing about stuff that they are currently going through and the theme of mortality, of the futile panic of knowing that there is not much time left, is much more universal. They nailed this one in my opinion... right now I am thinking that because of American Soul and The Best Thing it won't reach the heights of The Joshua Tree, Achtung or Unforgettable Fire but can eventually be regarded as among the two or three best of the rest (damn they are a good band).

Experience by quite a bit. Innocence is stiff in the way that a nostalgia album almost has to be. I think there's some highlights (Iris, The Troubles), but overall it almost feels like a loveless project.

Experience had tender care, and a purpose.

Well, after about 10 listens to SOE, I'd say it is still too early to compare and contrast SOE and SOI. I enjoyed SOI immensely and listened to it almost non stop for several months in 2014/15. The SOI songs resonated with me on a personal level so I really enjoyed the songs. I'm really enjoying SOE so far. I guess I'd have to listen to it about 100 more times to offer a fair comparison to SOI. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom