Songs of Experience vol. 29: No More Acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I hear it on good authority if we're good and spell song titles, we'll get a new album soon.

What we know:

Supposedly an album announcement next Friday, Oct. 20.

u2songs is reporting this for tracks:

American Soul
Get Out Of Your Own Way
Landlady
Love is All We Have Left
Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
Summer of Love
The Blackout
The Lights of Home
The Little Things That Give You Away
The Showman
You’re The Best Thing About Me
Red Flag Day (edit - thanks RD)

Best Thing is doing OK on American radio, but the debate will rage on for centuries if it's a hit. (hint: if there's a debate, it's not a hit. It is gaining steam on certain formats, but hasn't crossed over to the Hot 100 yet. It probably won't).

U2 filmed a music video/promo video for "Get Out Of Your Own Way" in Mexico City last week. The Internet Police have been removing clips from YouTube. Given the theme of the video, it wouldn't be surprising if this were released next week to go along with the album announcement, getting the song out in time for Day of the Dead.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Hey RD. Question for you to carry over to the new thread. Have you heard any credible rumblings (or even non-credible ones) about what's happening on the 20th?

no.. nothing beyond the fact that the album will supposedly be announced then

not hearing much these days. I figure it's because the facts are more or less out there, and stuff is just around the corner

u2songs is reporting this for tracks:

American Soul
Get Out Of Your Own Way
Landlady
Love is All We Have Left
Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
Summer of Love
The Blackout
The Lights of Home
The Little Things That Give You Away
The Showman
You’re The Best Thing About Me

+ Red Flag Day, based on the fact that it was played over the summer during the listening sessions

Do we have any word on what Landlady is about?? I don't recall anything.
024.jpg

Do we have any word on what Landlady is about?? I don't recall anything.

It's about Ali, and how she supported the band in the early days

Sadly, it's not a follow up about Mrs Brown, from Shadows and Tall Trees

Also, we can do have verification that Bono does include a lyric with "Lincoln's Ghost says get out of your own way"
Which is not as bad as:

'Cause baby I'm gifted
You see what I mean?
USDA certified lean'

So we have that to ease our minds.

All these titles with Love are.... Well, I'm pumped to hear the songs.

Best Thing is doing OK on American radio, but the debate will rage on for centuries if it's a hit. (hint: if there's a debate, it's not a hit. It is gaining steam on certain formats, but hasn't crossed over to the Hot 100 yet. It probably won't).

Seems to be doing pretty alright though:

U2 Is the 'Best' With Record-Breaking 13th No. 1 on Adult Alternative Songs Chart | Billboard

I think we will be getting album details AND tour dates (at least for Experience & innocence leg 1) on October 20, as well as the GOOYOW single/video.

U2 Is the 'Best' With Record-Breaking 13th No. 1 on Adult Alternative Songs Chart | Billboard

I think we will be getting album details AND tour dates (at least for Experience & innocence leg 1) on October 20, as well as the GOOYOW single/video.

Well, in the big scheme of things - This song is a moderate to solid success for the band.
A hit? No. A song that actually managed to gain traction on 4 different radio formats and build consistently instead of hitting a chart because of the first week of initial "sales" and then fade into nothingness? Yes.
And a song that seemed to be well received by non hardcore fans, and your average music listener. Which is cool and needed for them to broaden their audience.

It does seem to have hit (or is about to) a plateau in three of the four formats and will soon slowly fade. It still is gaining modestly on HotAC and will probably hang on there for a while.

And really, this means next week would be a great time for the band to drop the next single. Just as the TBT is just coming off its peak, get the next one out to start growing.
Then the band will be off tour to do some real promo hopefully, and have a couple new songs to push.
It looks like TBT will peak after about 7 weeks. And if the next one follows that same trajectory, it will get them into early/mid November with a single at its peak popularity. The life of the second single will probably be more extended with the album promo push happening as well.

I think the ceiling for an album depends on the impact of the lead single. ATYCLB was an average U2 album carried into the top half of their catalogue by Beautiful Day. NLOTH and SOI faded quickly because the lead singles didn't register. Best Thing is better than Boots and Miracle but doesn't touch Beautiful Day or Vertigo. So while I think SOE could resonate more than the last couple albums, which is encouraging, my overall expectations are realistically modest.

yea i mean, it's doing pretty well. but i think bono years ago said something about songs not permeating the social sphere. don't think Best Thing has done that yet, and don't think it will. hope i am wrong though.

it's been a mild chart success though.

But it was artsy when Bono used to dance with scantily dressed Morleigh and repeatedly attempted to touch her night after night on a daily basis. :wink:

Um, yes it's entirely different. People dance choreographed dances, they act in movies all the time, but they usually don't write songs about their best mate's wife. At least not in the sense of celebration or admiration. It was a really weird comment.

If this thread is No More Acronyms, is BVS even allowed to post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom