Songs of experience sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codeguy

The Fly
I live on U2 forums. TalkU2, interference mostly.
Since the media gave SOI mediocre reviews without actually having listened to the album, I thought I'd get a head start on reviewing songs of experience:

Songs of experience is the sound of four middle aged men wishing they had never chopped down the Joshua tree. It bobs and weaves from one moment where U2 sounds too much like itself to another where they just don't remind us enough who they are. Or should I say 'were' because this album is clearly an admission of defeat as Bonos lyrics repeatedly impale themselves on the cross of his personal passion. The prose is tortured and the falsetto pretentious, while the themes are grand and unimportant. Larry no longer PLAYS the drums...on 'experience' he is no longer playing, which is a shame because his seriousness detracts from the irony of edges sonic contradictions time and time again. While Bono reminds us that he is no longer who he was, edge reminds us that he never was who we thought he was and Adam reminds us that we never knew who he was in the first place. Of course, the album is personal in a way that no other U2 album since Songs of Innocence has managed, yet it's an album about the world we live in, a big, open album that tries to welcome us all in, yet shuts the door too often.

There are too many U2 mistakes on this album to ignore. It leaves you wanting more. It's too long. There is too much guitar. Bono overshadows edge repeatedly. It's got too much nuance and not enough contradiction. It tries to hard to not sound like itself. It's smugness detracts from the delicious irony that permeates its sonic membrane and fills it's soul with love .

There is no standout song on experience, no 'one', no BAD, no moment of surrender. instead, the entire album reeks of surrender. If a pretender recorded this album, it would be ignored. Which is a shame, because despite their manifestations of Divinity, U2 has actually made a really great record, one that any other artist would love to have in their catalog. If only it was just a little better.
3/5

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

this is the most confusing post...

"U2 has actually made a really great record," but then the subject line says it "sucks." "Too much guitar." Huh?

"3/5" rating too? So what's a good rating on your scale? 7 out of five?

tung1.gif

First couple of commentators didn't seem to appreciate that this was all sarcasm..... This is why I prefer @U2 to interference :-|

you're right....read the post too quickly and didn't catch on :doh: sorry

Can you tell us if Mercy is on this album?

SOE will merely be a 48 minute version of Mercy. U2 at it`s most U2ish. The deluxe edition with include 8 bonus tracks consisting of Mercy 7 remixes and an acoustic version of Mercy. :lol:

Since the media gave SOI mediocre reviews without actually having listened to the album, I thought I'd get a head start on reviewing songs of experience:

Songs of experience is the sound of four middle aged men wishing they had never chopped down the Joshua tree. It bobs and weaves from one moment where U2 sounds too much like itself to another where they just don't remind us enough who they are. Or should I say 'were' because this album is clearly an admission of defeat as Bonos lyrics repeatedly impale themselves on the cross of his personal passion. The prose is tortured and the falsetto pretentious, while the themes are grand and unimportant. Larry no longer PLAYS the drums...on 'experience' he is no longer playing, which is a shame because his seriousness detracts from the irony of edges sonic contradictions time and time again. While Bono reminds us that he is no longer who he was, edge reminds us that he never was who we thought he was and Adam reminds us that we never knew who he was in the first place. Of course, the album is personal in a way that no other U2 album since Songs of Innocence has managed, yet it's an album about the world we live in, a big, open album that tries to welcome us all in, yet shuts the door too often.

There are too many U2 mistakes on this album to ignore. It leaves you wanting more. It's too long. There is too much guitar. Bono overshadows edge repeatedly. It's got too much nuance and not enough contradiction. It tries to hard to not sound like itself. It's smugness detracts from the delicious irony that permeates its sonic membrane and fills it's soul with love .

There is no standout song on experience, no 'one', no BAD, no moment of surrender. instead, the entire album reeks of surrender. If a pretender recorded this album, it would be ignored. Which is a shame, because despite their manifestations of Divinity, U2 has actually made a really great record, one that any other artist would love to have in their catalog. If only it was just a little better.
3/5

BRILLIANT.

Except you forgot to slam them for charging for it instead of giving it away for free.

This thread was so obviously satire that I'm puzzled how anyone possibly missed it.

Last edited:
Pitchfork Prediction: 5.2

Metacritic Prediction: 73/100

I think the followup will have a little more fire-power. Maybe a memorable tune or two.

Back
Top Bottom