Songs of Experience - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Release: latest suggests late summer, early fall 2016

Producers: Andy Barlowe, Jolyon Thomas, Flood, Danger Mouse and Ryan Tedder have all been mentioned at one time or another

Working titles/new song descriptions:
Civilisation – Album opener; “colossal” drums
The Morning After Innocence - ties into SoI?
The Little Things That You Give Away – Anthem quality
Instrument Flying – Motorik beat (like beautiful day + Invisible?)
Red Flag Day
Tightrope – “Very epic, very up”
Get Out of Your Own Way
Landlady
Untitled (Volcano II?) – riff heavy, links back to volcano on SoI
Much More Better – Deeply personal account of Bono post bike accident
Where the Shadows Fall

Lyric excerpts: (likely Morning After Innocence)
I was living a lie.
I was calling it a compromise.
I was making bad deals in front of everyone's eyes.
Deals now everyone denies.
I was giving evidence in the court of the hearts desire,
falsifying documents, virtue thrown in the fire.

Sometimes I wish that I was stupid and you were not so smart.
Overcome the head will always overcome the heart.

Lead me in the way I should go.
I'm running out of chances to blow.
That's what you told me
and you should know.

Lead me in the way I should be.
Unravel the mystery
of the heart and its defense.
The morning after innocence.

Is that your fountain pen,
navy with a nib of gold?
You never could write so well
or do anything you were told
on 10 Cedarwood Road

I'm your older self
the song of experience.
I've come to ask for some help
from your song of innocence.

Lead me in the way I should go
I'm running out of chances to blow.
That's what you told me
and you should know.

Lead me in the way I should be
unravel the mystery
of the heart and its defense
the morning after innocence.

Last edited:
and i have no relevance
and i don't know what's what
and i don't know the limit
the limit of spamming the masses with the sweat blood and tears of four dublin lads

and i have no relevance
and i don't know what's what
and i don't know the limit
the limit of spamming the masses with the sweat blood and tears of four dublin lads

Don't worry, baby
it'll be alright
You've got the right shoes to get you through the invasion of privacy
It's cold outside, but brightly lit,
let's skip the subway, let's go to the mainstream
put flowers in the polished turd, baby, overground

I was kinda expecting to see sexualized version of titles of new songs (like all the Shuttlecock thread rendition of SOI titles) at some point in this thread

So...what are the chances of them releasing Songs of Experience on the 40th anniversary of their formation (September 25th)? That's what I'm banking on.

I'm pretty optimistic about this new record because the way I see it, this one has already HAD the "big delay" that seems to set back every U2 album. Ideally, I suspect the band would've liked to have had the new record out in February or March to support a summer tour....instead, it's looking like a summer release and a fall/winter tour that maybe creeps into summer 2017.

So...what are the chances of them releasing Songs of Experience on the 40th anniversary of their formation (September 25th)? That's what I'm banking on.

In theory they should already be on the road by September 25, right? I like the idea, though...maybe Sept. 25 will be the date of the tour opener. Bono can joke about them being under-rehearsed, 'just as we were back then.'

Rumor has it "The Morning After Innocence" begins with a Zooropa like opening, only instead of Bono saying "what do you want" it's a bunch of hipsters complaining about the iTunes release

i skimmed this really quickly and read it as:

Rumor has it "The Morning After Innocence" begins with a Zooropa like opening, only instead Bono is saying "what do you want" to a bunch of hipsters complaining about the iTunes release

that could work well :lol:

"Forty years ago, Larry Mullen Jr invited us into his home. And now we show up uninvited on your iPhone. Again!"

When are they going to make Songs of Interference?

Because it's hard to convey the appropriate level of snark and obnoxiousness in Bono's lyrics.

Also, it's hard to convey stellar gif usage in a musical format.

aeryaer_zps1346b192.gif

Apple's worldwide developers conference has always been held in the second week in june. So this year's one they could announce in theory the new music format U2 had hinted about in Sept 2014? Could also tie in nicely with when they would have to have the album ready for a tour restart in the autumn?

Apple's worldwide developers conference has always been held in the second week in june. So this year's one they could announce in theory the new music format U2 had hinted about in Sept 2014? Could also tie in nicely with when they would have to have the album ready for a tour restart in the autumn?

atu2 has shared an interesting piece on what we're likely in for regarding the next U2 album. and yes, another partnership with Apple seems likely.

here are some choice excerpts:

As we reported in October last year, two main investors in VR content provider Vrse.works are Live Nation and Vice Media, which have partnered to provide content. It was announced at CES that Universal Music Group (UMG) is now getting into the virtual reality genre with the goal to give immersive music experiences to the consumer. The first roll-out will be with iHeartMedia at its awards show on April 3...

According to Fortune, iHeartMedia is reviewing up to eight virtual reality production companies for this endeavor. Vrse.works is one of those on its list. Look for the VR content to expand to iHeartMedia’s digital platform and social media outlets...

I believe it’s quite obvious that we will see Songs Of Experience released in a VR/AR format where the fan can become fully immersed in the album. “Song For Someone” was the beta test. As Sean Michaels wrote in The Guardian, “U2 and Apple are apparently collaborating on a new, ‘interactive format for music’, due to launch in ‘about 18 months’.” Michaels quotes Catherine Mayer’s Time article in his piece:

“I think it’s going to get very exciting for the music business,” Bono said as part of Time’s 29 September cover story on U2. According to journalist Catherine Mayer, the singer foresees that this new technology “will prove so irresistibly exciting to music fans that it will tempt them again into buying music – whole albums as well as individual tracks”. By evading piracy, the format’s creators hope it isn’t just a boon to massive acts like U2, but also to performers less likely to sell out an arena or a lorry full of merch. “Songwriters aren’t touring people,” Bono explained. “Cole Porter wouldn’t have sold T-shirts. Cole Porter wasn’t coming to a stadium near you.”

Adam Clayton’s quote in January 2016’s Q Magazine points to a timeframe that might align with Apple’s Worldwide Developer’s Conference later this year. Clayton said, “The intention was always that we started on the Innocence album and go through to the Experience album. We'll start the show up with additional material towards the end of the year. We like the idea that there's a rounding of the circle."

I was curious as to why the representatives on the Apple Bus in Dublin were doing a hard sell to have us give them our personal contact information in order to explore the bus. It wasn’t just to send you a snazzy photo of your visit with them. We were told that there would be exclusive content coming “soon” from U2 and we should sign up for Apple Music. I believe that we are going to see that convergence of VR content available through Apple for Songs Of Experience.

As for Apple’s foray into the VR/AR market, Appleinsider’s Neil Hughes’s article “Apple predicted to aggressively pursue virtual & augmented reality tech in 2016” offered insights on how Apple will pursue this area of growth. Websites TechCrunch and Business Insider reported on patents Apple has filed for its own headgear equipment. Mark Sullivan at VentureBeat.com reported in August 2015 that Apple had poached a key Microsoft AR audio engineer for its own initiative. Sullivan quotes Piper Jaffray senior research analyst Gene Munster:

Instead of doing a video call with a normal camera you could use sensors that utilize computer vision to capture space via 3D scanning. The 3D image that is captured by the sensors can then be broadcasted into an AR headset that is located far away. The AR headset would take the 3D image and reconstruct the scene to make it appear as if the person were actually in the room. … We believe AR audio is often thought of as not important or secondary to the experience, however, we believe positional audio is what sells the experience and convinces the user there is a real object in front of you or behind you. The ability to re-create sound coming from a distinct location and changes based on proximity and direction of the object should not be overlooked.

The AR audio is what made the “Song For Someone” immersive video experience unlike anything else. You hear a singer in back of you, which encourages movement toward the voice. Suddenly I heard Larry’s drums coming from the right, so I turned to look at him. Even the trailing echo of Bono’s singing as the scene fades a new location instinctively invites you to follow that fade. The natural instinct is to follow the sound. For U2, I believe their interest in having us follow them on their journey of experience is why the VR/AR rollout is going to be the way they’ll announce their album...

Now that we have U2’s management group (Live Nation) and record label (UMG) fully embracing this technology, the band’s relationships with Vrse.works and Apple succeeding, and a consumer market asking for these fully immersive experiences, I’d say the timing couldn’t be more perfect for the vision Bono spoke of in September 2014.

You see more and more articles about virtual reality coming up. Makes business sense for sure. I just hope the music is good and I don't need to buy an apple headset to listen to the damn thing.

Songs Of A New Reason For Consumers To Spend

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom