Songs of Experience - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was more excited about the documentary....bummer if they don't show it. Sure the concert will be cool and all, but the documentary would've given us something little more different

I was more excited about the documentary....bummer if they don't show it. Sure the concert will be cool and all, but the documentary would've given us something little more different

I just remembered that the last five shows of 360 Leg 2 (of which Rose Bowl was one) were identical. Something different would be welcome indeed :wink:

Your Blue Room's last ever performance was in the show before that run of 5.

Last edited:
....what if u2 wanted to couple this with SOE announcements but they couldn't finish them on time? just like my papers.

....what if u2 wanted to couple this with SOE announcements but they couldn't finish them on time? just like my papers.

If the documentary prominently explores the making of SoE, including snippets of new songs and maybe even the release of a (non album) track to soundtrack the doc, as some people have considered, then yeah, that could make sense!

Wouldn't be shocked if they scrapped the doc due to U2 overload (2 broadcasts) or if they simply aren't done with SOE yet or maybe they chose to debut a new song live and announce the album at the concert

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Maybe the doc is just going to be a 30 minute thing that airs before or after the concert.

Wouldn't be shocked if they scrapped the doc due to U2 overload (2 broadcasts) or if they simply aren't done with SOE yet or maybe they chose to debut a new song live and announce the album at the concert

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I know this is far fetched as hell, but holy shit how awesome would it be to announce the new album and then play the first single - not simply at a show, but at a show broadcast live around the world? It's a contextually perfect way to announce a mid-tour album, it's a ballsy move, and it has the benefit of putting SoE in the public spotlight in a creative way but without the intrusive nature of the iTunes SoI debacle.

Not saying i think this makes so much sense therefore it will happen etc, just that i love the idea of it.

I almost wish they delayed a live broadcast of their show until they could do this.

Miracle was a funny one - I love the song, but (as someone else here said) it feels like a great 3 minute song rattling around inside an average 4 minute song. Quite frustrating, i feel like they were so close to another classic.

U2 has destroyed many, many songs by overthinking them. I can think of SO MANY examples of fantastic songs at the demo stage that ultimately disappointed when released on record: Hands that Built America, Winter, Breathe, Original of the Species...the Glastonbury turned Volcano thing.

There are exceptions: Every Breaking Wave improved tremendously.

Last edited:
I know both Glastonbury and Volcano have their fans, but let's not pretend that Glastonbury was some gem that was ruined by becoming Volcano.

I know this is far fetched as hell, but holy shit how awesome would it be to announce the new album and then play the first single - not simply at a show, but at a show broadcast live around the world? It's a contextually perfect way to announce a mid-tour album, it's a ballsy move, and it has the benefit of putting SoE in the public spotlight in a creative way but without the intrusive nature of the iTunes SoI debacle.

Not saying i think this makes so much sense therefore it will happen etc, just that i love the idea of it.

I almost wish they delayed a live broadcast of their show until they could do this.

:drool:

I know both Glastonbury and Volcano have their fans, but let's not pretend that Glastonbury was some gem that was ruined by becoming Volcano.

They're two different songs, really. Glastonbury was not a "gem," or a can't-miss single, but it had an edge. It sounded nothing like U2. There was a time when that was the dividing criterion for which songs were kept and which were discarded. Much like The Fly 25 years before, Glastonbury would've made non-U2 fans sit up and take notice. It would've made them think "THAT'S U2??" Volcano, while a solid song in its own right, did none of those things. It was a weaker, safer take on the riff.

The news about the third leg of the tour in Europe and not somewhere else, means IMO that SOE will be released before the third leg. Without any new material the 2nd and 3rd leg would be too much the same.

Much like The Fly 25 years before, Glastonbury would've made non-U2 fans sit up and take notice. It would've made them think "THAT'S U2??"

There is next to zero chance that this would ever happen.

The news about the third leg of the tour in Europe and not somewhere else, means IMO that SOE will be released before the third leg. Without any new material the 2nd and 3rd leg would be too much the same.

I'm gonna recommend you look into a tour by U2 called the 360 tour.

They have enough unplayed cities in Europe to play a third leg and not need any new material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom