Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like "All My Life" is on it's way ...

Hope so.

Is anyone else convinced this is a near surefire hit? I'm at once not sure I love it and prepared to put a 'too big to fail' stamp on it. It has that BD 'takeoff' (not saying it would be as big as BD) that is, I think, exactly what the listening public wants from U2. You could easily give it a slight 'Sky Full of Stars'/Magnificent RAC remix treatment to move it from dad rock into contemporary rock-pop uplift territory.

I understand running from the big obvious sound in the wake of Bomb, but it's been 10 years...

Did Bono actually say that "All My Life" was on its way or is it just because we think it would fit the theme?

Did Bono actually say that "All My Life" was on its way or is it just because we think it would fit the theme?

i thought it would fit the theme, maybe, but more that it was insanely catchy -- i can still sing it to this day and those were beach clips from 2007 that i haven't listened to probably since then -- and i can't imagine they'd let a chorus that colossal go to waste.

unless they thought it was too cheesy, but that hasn't stopped them before.

can someone ask Bono about it at the next acoustic performance on European TV?

i thought it would fit the theme, maybe, but more that it was insanely catchy -- i can still sing it to this day and those were beach clips from 2007 that i haven't listened to probably since then -- and i can't imagine they'd let a chorus that colossal go to waste.

unless they thought it was too cheesy, but that hasn't stopped them before.

Yeah I always really liked the Beach Clip. Sure it was a bit cheesy, maybe even a little Bon Jovi, but I appreciated the song's positivity.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

How can I hear all my life? Floating around on youtube still? Can't believe I missed that beach clip from back then

How can I hear all my life? Floating around on youtube still? Can't believe I missed that beach clip from back then

I'd like to hear it as well, haven't heard of it until now.

I love Songs of Experience. It's so quiet!

Seriously though, I really doubt another album will be released any time soon.

fantastic article!

Installed in a virtually empty quayside restaurant, he extends lunch over three hours, via an “emergency beer”, several glasses of wine, a cheese plate and a solitary cigarette.

:lol: Bono you are the man of my dreams :heart: seriously though whenever I read stuff like this it makes me really wanna hang out with U2. They just seem like four amazing dudes, each with their own distinctly awesome personality.

Their different responses to the furore are revealing. Bono says emphatically: “We got paid. And this is about a company [Apple] that’s fighting for musicians to be paid.” And he is bullish about the quality of the songwriting. “These songs, you could stamp on their head and kick them to the ground and they’re still going to stay there.”

Monk-like guitarist the Edge is typically even-handed. “I absolutely had my doubts about it before we did it, and after, but it was the right thing to do,” he says. “It was an opportunity that will only ever come around once for anybody. I don’t think anyone would want to do it again.”

Forthright drummer Larry Mullen “couldn’t give a shite” and louche bass player Adam Clayton wonders what all the fuss is about. “The plan wasn’t to be controversial. In today’s world there is so much chatter, so in order to get through the chatter I’m afraid we are destined to make a very loud noise ourselves.”

sums up their personalities perfectly, especially Larry :lol:

“Everything I thought that would be was no longer,” he says. “Everything was broken. Like home, that was just gone, everything was gone. So my thing was to find somewhere else to go. I needed another family and the band became that for me, and it was a refuge. I was sitting behind a drumkit. I didn’t have to explain myself. And that’s been very convenient because it’s not easy stuff to talk about, and I admire Bono for doing it. I find it… kind of… you know, it’s a painful period of my life and it still feels the same way. I wish I could just expel it. I don’t have the resources or the willpower to do that yet.”

Later, he says, “The reason that we do this is because we are incomplete, and being in the band allows people who are slightly broken to feel fixed for that period of time.”

:sad:

“The internet, it’s like mankind [has just] discovered fire,” he says. “What are we going to do with this? It’s very exciting, it’s very worrying. You can say some mad shit out there.”

That's a really great analogy actually

I feel like if more people read articles like this maybe they wouldn't hate U2 so much. they just seem so incredibly likable.

Agreed. I always assume that people who dislike them must never have actually have heard the others speak, or seen Bono speak in the presence of the others. That said, I wonder how Edge feels about being called "monk-like"? Jeez, that's even more exciting that being The Smart One.

The whole "experience" title is going to work with the new music experience that Apple is going to promote. Hopefully apple has their platform pretty much finished that gives U2 a definitive deadline to get the platform/album out to launch to avoid another year of tinkering.

Hope so.

Is anyone else convinced this is a near surefire hit? I'm at once not sure I love it and prepared to put a 'too big to fail' stamp on it. It has that BD 'takeoff' (not saying it would be as big as BD) that is, I think, exactly what the listening public wants from U2. You could easily give it a slight 'Sky Full of Stars'/Magnificent RAC remix treatment to move it from dad rock into contemporary rock-pop uplift territory.

I understand running from the big obvious sound in the wake of Bomb, but it's been 10 years...

And you're basing this off of a low quality beach clip?

Right.

A hit is a song such that everyone who hears a little wants to hear more, and everyone who hears it once wants to hear it again. Granted, there's the distortion effect of hearing a little and filling in the blanks -- early MDrug or Crazy Tonight's amorphous, uplifting sounding early version. I'm aware of that, I just don't think this is that. I think we have enough to get a great sense of the song. Here's a longer and to my mind reasonably clear clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO8arThAKfk

I may be totally wrong about it being a potential hit -- Iovine is a legend just for being able to hear if something is or isn't a hit 90% of the time, maybe less -- but that's what I was asking for thoughts on. The speculative leap is: ASSUMING we have enough info, let's speculate. I know that's an assumption. We'd need a studio quality song and, more importantly by far, Iovine ears, to tell. ('now you're just somebody' would have sounded like a hit to someone who had an ear for these things at much lower quality/less duration than the above All My Life clip.) I have little sense of whether I have the ear for this, but I have little doubt that Iovine/a contemporary Iovine could make a good guess at how this song would fare based on a clip of this quality.

If you heard BD for the first time in a passing car or playing faintly in the mall, there's a good chance you'd want to Shazam it. The hit is precisely the song that can be heard in lo-fi and you can still tell it's a hit; it has that 'viral' quality of being transmit-able without close contact.

Iovine is a legend just for being able to hear if something is or isn't a hit 90% of the time, maybe less --

"Yeah, yeah, Sexy Boots...that's your lead single! And after that's a smash hit, you guys will release that Crazy Tonight song! People are gonna love that one!"

all this talk of All My Life.. I'm sure the band forgot about it long ago.. or it morphed into something else entirely, like Boy Falls from the Sky

The first time I heard this song I remember thinking this could he something special. However...its going on nine years now. If the band thought this song was special why the hell haven't they ever put it on an album?

I was never a big fan of "All My Life" (or of what I could hear from that clip), never understood the hype around such mundane song.

Yet, I'd rather know if any of these demos have developed into proper song and if the band scrapped them for SOE (specially this first one... it has so much potential, such beautiful instrumental/vocal melody):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVNDkaG8WKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNMBYHJXpc

What about "North Star"? I know I remember having heard this title 10 years ago (circa HTDAAB), and I really don't like what happened to the Transformers version, but I actually like the very U2-ish arrangement they gave it in this soundcheck, I even think it could perfectly be a radio-hit-love-song (even the lyrics are simple but not terrible like others around there). Who knows what happened to "North Star"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyu8yTp7fMg

"Yeah, yeah, Sexy Boots...that's your lead single! And after that's a smash hit, you guys will release that Crazy Tonight song! People are gonna love that one!"

Iovine liked EBW. Wisely they tossed one of their best songs in the 00's off NLOTH.

"All my life's" chorus has promise. I love when edges simple delay is front and center like that. Hopefully songs of experience has some.

I was never a big fan of "All My Life" (or of what I could hear from that clip), never understood the hype around such mundane song.

Yet, I'd rather know if any of these demos have developed into proper song and if the band scrapped them for SOE (specially this first one... it has so much potential, such beautiful instrumental/vocal melody):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVNDkaG8WKo

:lol: I'm the original source for this clip. It is not from any recent sessions and I highly doubt it will be on SOE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom