Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes to Songs of Ascent completing the trilogy. 15 albums and a farewell tour.

Then the glory of U2 must ascend and take its place with all the other retired bands... :lol:

What excites me most about SOE is that the best parts of SOI are the Danger Mouse pieces. Since Tedder and Epworth came in to work on the singles, they may have all been focusing on this one, and SOE may be all DM. I hope it's weird, out there, dreamy, loose, and drifty.

Songs of Ascent to complete the triology and then a final album called Man so we will know it's over. Going to be a wild couple years and hopefully many more!!!! All of the above is just really playful fantasy or is it?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Been a little over 5 1/2 years since NLOTH and given the band's(mainly Bono's)estimated release period and the actual release date of their upcoming albums over the last 20 years I actually had a different feeling this last time. A couple of months ago when I heard reports of the Universal spokespersons tweet saying that the album would indeed be released sometime this year and the filming at the bridge in Dublin,Ireland that was actually U2 related I began to believe that U2 was going to release something this year. Also the Songs of Experience album seems more likely that it would come sooner rather than later this time especially if this is a double or trilogy album experience which would be so worth the wait! Possible Songs of Ascent thoughts = U2 Paradise! :drool:

As much as I want to believe that this could happen, I'm going to assume that it won't after learning the lesson from Songs Of Ascent. Then if it happens, I'll have the same "holy shit" feeling I had yesterday when the band just dropped the album.

Songs of Ascent to complete the triology and then a final album called Man so we will know it's over. Going to be a wild couple years and hopefully many more!!!! All of the above is just really playful fantasy or is it?

After yesterday, I'd say that anything's possible!

Like Mikal said, I do hesitate in thinking that a follow-up is in short order based on the prior wait. But I am a bit more optimistic for it as a result of everything that happened. It might not come in less than a year or whatever, but that could be a good thing for all I know. It would be nice having 20+ new songs to hear in the aftermath of these past five years though.

As much as I want to believe that this could happen, I'm going to assume that it won't after learning the lesson from Songs Of Ascent. Then if it happens, I'll have the same "holy shit" feeling I had yesterday when the band just dropped the album.

But the band never actually said anything concrete about Songs of Ascent. Certainly nothing as concrete as an article on U2.com penned by Bono telling everyone to look out for Songs of Experience in the near future.

I totally get the skepticism, but actually putting it in writing on your band's official page is a pretty confident step to take, I'd say.

Dave Fanning said on 2 FM that he's sure U2 has a couple of follow ups that they will be releasing soon. I'm sure they have tons of material.

Btw, there's a Paul McGuiness interview in Hot Press where he says that U2 will go on tour in 2015.

I think it's different this time. I said it in another thread, but I feel like they will really do a quick follow up. I think this is the last major hurrah for U2. SOI then SOE, major tour, and then who knows? I think they know that this could be it, too.

But the band never actually said anything concrete about Songs of Ascent. Certainly nothing as concrete as an article on U2.com penned by Bono telling everyone to look out for Songs of Experience in the near future.

I totally get the skepticism, but actually putting it in writing on your band's official page is a pretty confident step to take, I'd say.

Good point for sure. My skepticism is more of a defense mechanism more than anything. ;)

And for the people out there who have no interest in checking us out, look at it this way… the blood, sweat and tears of some Irish guys are in your junk mail.

:lol: i love you bono. :heart:

Free, but paid for. Because if no-one's paying anything for it, we’re not sure “free” music is really that free. It usually comes at a cost to the art form and the artist… which has big implications, not for us in U2, but for future musicians and their music... all the songs that have yet to be written by the talents of the future… who need to make a living to write them.

as a musician myself I really relate to this. We've got an entire generation of people growing up thinking all music should be free. Between pirating and streaming the future is really uncertain for musicians. On the one hand, it's easier than ever to get your stuff out there, but I'd argue it's also harder than ever to make a living as a musician. Kudos to U2 for standing up for musicians in a very cool way - at no cost to the fans.

We’re collaborating with Apple on some cool stuff over the next couple of years, innovations that will transform the way music is listened to and viewed.

so the collaboration with Apple doesn't end with SOI. stoked to hear this.

We’ll keep you posted. If you like Songs of Innocence, stay with us for Songs of Experience. It should be ready soon enough… although I know I’ve said that before…

:lol: people always hate on Bono for being arrogant, but dude is charmingly self-deprecating. Still, I have a good feeling about this. I think we'll get SOE sometime within the next year, possibly even the October release?! that would be amazing.

True, although to be fair, there were a few interviews with various players who said they wanted to work on getting another release out 'shortly' (in one form or another).

I won't forget yesterday for a while .. never thought that U2 would just drop the complete album on iTunes for free ... the next "shock" was reading Bono's very well written letter ... and then reading those lines:

If you like Songs of Innocence, stay with us for Songs of Experience. It should be ready soon enough… although I know I’ve said that before…

This is no speculation, nor is it an oral statement by Bono when asked by a fan somewhere in a bar or on the street .. this is quite as official as it gets .. of course things can change , but I have confidence that "Songs of Experience" will surface sooner than later .. and personally, I could not be happier .. Songs of Experience could be the darker sister album full of songs produced solely by Danger Mouse ... well that is my version of what might happen.

I agree. I'm not convinced about the next one, but it would be fucking great.

I just wonder if the editor of that article contacted Bono multiple times asking:

Editor: Now Bono, are you sure you want to put that statement about Songs of Experience in this article?

Bono: Yes

The next day

Editor: Bono, again, are you absolutely positive on this?

A couple days pass

Editor: Bono, I know you already said yet but I just have to ask if...

Bono: (interrupts) Sorry, I'm on my bicycle. Can't talk right now.

being a life long die hard fan, I don't have too much faith in another album coming soon...say within a year or so...but...

Yesterday's suprise was so cool, nothing would shock me now.:lol::applaud:

I think it's going to happen. Bono flat out said it, while the SOA stuff seemed more off the cuff.

But moreover, it's incomprehensible to me that Apple would pay 100mil for one record. That just doesn't fly. So I'm sure SOE, the tour, more product tie ins, apps, etc. could be part of this deal. And even if SOE isn't free (and I doubt it would be) I'd assume that there will be some kind of Apple promotion/exclusive tied in with it.

So yeah, I think we can take Bono seriously this time, if for no other reason than they're contractually obligated.

I think it's going to happen. Bono flat out said it, while the SOA stuff seemed more off the cuff.

But moreover, it's incomprehensible to me that Apple would pay 100mil for one record. That just doesn't fly. So I'm sure SOE, the tour, more product tie ins, apps, etc. could be part of this deal. And even if SOE isn't free (and I doubt it would be) I'd assume that there will be some kind of Apple promotion/exclusive tied in with it.

So yeah, I think we can take Bono seriously this time, if for no other reason than they're contractually obligated.

Yeah, I can see that. I was also floored by the 100 million check they received for the album. I know that's probably loose change to Apple, but considering the state of the music industry, I still thought it was very generous.

So good point, I wonder if the 100 million is for more than just this release. Seems like a good ole fashion partnership.

Remembering the interview from the Oscars, remembering James Mercer's quotes, and now this quote from Bono- it really does seem quite likely.

I instantly thought of the James Mercer quote when I heard this. He specifically referenced a first and second disc.

All of this (quotes, album title, release method, etc.) seem pretty obvious to me that something is coming a lot sooner than 5 years.

I just wonder if the editor of that article contacted Bono multiple times asking:

Editor: Now Bono, are you sure you want to put that statement about Songs of Experience in this article?

The next day

A couple days pass

:lmao: sounds about right.

The next day

A couple days pass

This.

Songs of Experience could be the darker sister album full of songs produced solely by Danger Mouse ... well that is my version of what might happen.

You never know, Songs of Innocence might have been the "experimental dark" one. Remember, they thought NLOTH was too out there for people. We'll see how this one goes. If they score a major hit they'll be more inclined to go with their guts, if not, then I predict another fix-it job with more GUARANTEED HITS!

My guess:
SOI is free in Itunes for some days.
In a month (october 13th?) they release SOE, at some nice price.
Then, as christmas comes closer (November?), they release a boxed set with both cds, an extra cd with noises from U2 HQ's men´s room, some dvd full of white noise and a few old U2 photos, a 3978-blank-pages hard-cover book, a chocolate statue of the band, and a bono´s-tongue-replica vibrator. It will be on sale in a few banks, with special conditions for the loan you will need to buy it.

As has been said SOI doesn't sound like band going away anytime soon

What was Larry's reaction? That's the real indicator as to if SOE is an actual project

What was Larry's reaction? That's the real indicator as to if SOE is an actual project

Larry was the one who originally said they wanted to release one album and then another shortly after, no? some time last year i think it was?

fingers crossed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom