Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I wonder if the band have been working on the album in the meantime since Bono's accident. Obviously right now their priority is to prepare for the tour. When will this recording take place I wonder?

The album was released in September, so why did the tour not begin until May? ATYCLB and HTDAAB were released in Nivember and had a March tour kickoff, NLOTH was MARCH, 360 was June. There has to be a reason for the lengthy amount of time, rather than just being old.

- why were Bono & Edge in LA last February? Larry was in Colorado for some event, so it's likely he was also in LA.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think it's gotta be the planning with Apple on the new type of visual experience release to coincide with SOE and therefore 18 months, but still hanging out hope for next year between tour gaps.

Either this is going to be a mammoth almost 2 1/2 yr tour to tour both albums (say May 2015 - December 2017 with let's say a break from Dec 2015 - August 2016 or even until Feb 2017 to get SOE out in the fall of 2016) or they are being really coy and going to through another surprise on us which is doubtful with Bono's accident and now tour prep.

In all seriousness, what do we (collectively) think McGuiness would have done differently?

The question is not whether there's anything to suggest McG would have done things differently than Oseary, the question is whether there's anything to suggest that McG would have done things the same. If past is prologue, is there anything in McG's management of this band in the past that would suggest he'd let them give away one of their records for free? On the contrary, his past statements and actions suggest just the opposite.

Of course, the band is the boss, and I imagine at the end of the day McG would do whatever they told him to do. But looking at the things Oseary has done with Madonna, I think the Apple deal has his fingerprints all over it. And I do think the SOI deal is fundamentally different than the iPod deal with Apple, which at the end of the day was basically just a product tie in. Now I imagine at some point McG has said something nice about this deal, because what else would he say? But no, I don't believe he would have done it, even if Apple had paid U2 for the music.

Moreover, I believe the strong likelihood (though of course I can't prove it) is that McG is no longer managing the band, at least in part, because U2 was looking for someone who could, and would, put the kind of 21st century music deals together that is Oseary's specialty....whereas McG is very much old school. My guess is that the band simply though McG had taken them as far as he could. I don't believe for a second he left completely voluntarily...though again, it's just a suspicion, I can't prove it.

In all seriousness, what do we (collectively) think McGuiness would have done differently? Besides not Tonya Harding poor Bono to end their promo tour so he could focus on Madonna?

I actually don't think anything would be different, add the band has been calling the shots forever. U2's manager is more or less an advisor/glorified office manager. The band calls the shots. The manager just make sure the lights stay on.

My gut tells me that Paul and the band were no longer seeing eye to eye on their collective futures and what it would take to keep the band hip and cool with the kids, so they mutually decided to part ways.

I believe the Apple tie in was absolutely, 100% the band and not Guy or Paul. They may have helped negotiate the deal, but the guy who's tight with the Apple honchos isn't Guy Oseary. It's Bono.

I actually don't think anything would be different, add the band has been calling the shots forever. U2's manager is more or less an advisor/glorified office manager. The band calls the shots. The manager just make sure the lights stay on.

My gut tells me that Paul and the band were no longer seeing eye to eye on their collective futures and what it would take to keep the band hip and cool with the kids, so they mutually decided to part ways.

I believe the Apple tie in was absolutely, 100% the band and not Guy or Paul. They may have helped negotiate the deal, but the guy who's tight with the Apple honchos isn't Guy Oseary. It's Bono.

Yep. They wanted a deal for No Line on the Horizon. Boots was going to have its own commercial ala Vertigo I believe, but the deal fell apart. There's a few pages on it in a book about either Apple or Jobs, I forget which.

My hope for Songs of Experience, it it's not too late, would be for the guitar player named Edge to actually live up to his name. This is something that hasn't really been done in several albums, perhaps since PoP.

Yeah there are some good Edge moments here and there throughout the years, but it's been a while since the Edge lit the world on fire in the studio. Experience should be Edge's album.

My hope for Songs of Experience, it it's not too late, would be for the guitar player named Edge to actually live up to his name. This is something that hasn't really been done in several albums, perhaps since PoP.

Yeah there are some good Edge moments here and there throughout the years, but it's been a while since the Edge lit the world on fire in the studio. Experience should be Edge's album.

I'm all for this but I do think Edge was kicking ass on both ATYCLB and Bomb(one if my favorite Albums).

I get that millennial U2 songs are looked down on by a lot here but for me....

Elevation, Beautiful Day, Walk On, Vertigo, Love and Peace or Else (love this tune) and All Because of You are all Edge being Edge songs.

SOI is really Adam and Larrys album( Iris, Reach and Volcano....)

I'm all for this but I do think Edge was kicking ass on both ATYCLB and Bomb(one if my favorite Albums).

I get that millennial U2 songs are looked down on by a lot here but for me....

Elevation, Beautiful Day, Walk On, Vertigo, Love and Peace or Else (love this tune) and All Because of You are all Edge being Edge songs.

SOI is really Adam and Larrys album( Iris, Reach and Volcano....)

Well he has had some studio moments since 2000 but more often than not, he's been somewhat subtle compared to the glory days.

The Edge is too concerned with sounding like a well-schooled traditional guitarist. Trying to earn cred from musical corners he will never get it from. He needs to let it rip and get the effect pedals out and continue to find new colors and sounds...and lose the beanie.

The Edge is too concerned with sounding like a well-schooled traditional guitarist. Trying to earn cred from musical corners he will never get it from. He needs to let it rip and get the effect pedals out and continue to find new colors and sounds...and lose the beanie.

What musical corners are you speaking about?

Last tour the music quality depended on the length of Bono's hair. So this time it's dependent on Edge's shiny bald head?

Well Edge has been more of a traditional guitarist over the last few records. That can't really be denied. He's playing more chords, especially power chords, and has cut back on effects to the extent that he's basically playing clean.

When he ventures away from traditional playing he falls back on old habits, like three not chimey riffs and slide solos. However, he was an effects driven master of idiosyncratic layering for close to 20 years, so playing more traditionally is new ground for him. It's not his strength, it's not interesting for me to listen to, but it's probably more challenging for him to do than bust out crazy effects and build a song around his guitar parts. Still, I want him to do that because he's one of the best ever.

When I listen to pre-ATYCLB U2 I think "this guy is a god." I don't get that feeling with the millenial music. Had he played like he has been lately throughout the 80s and 90s he would not have the stature that he does. His trad playing is pretty boring. There are people who do it well but he isn't one of them. He lacks the chops.

Well Edge has been more of a traditional guitarist over the last few records. That can't really be denied. He's playing more chords, especially power chords, and has cut back on effects to the extent that he's basically playing clean.

When he ventures away from traditional playing he falls back on old habits, like three not chimey riffs and slide solos. However, he was an effects driven master of idiosyncratic layering for close to 20 years, so playing more traditionally is new ground for him. It's not his strength, it's not interesting for me to listen to, but it's probably more challenging for him to do than bust out crazy effects and build a song around his guitar parts. Still, I want him to do that because he's one of the best ever.

When I listen to pre-ATYCLB U2 I think "this guy is a god." I don't get that feeling with the millenial music. Had he played like he has been lately throughout the 80s and 90s he would not have the stature that he does. His trad playing is pretty boring. There are people who do it well but he isn't one of them. He lacks the chops.

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom