Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes please explain

I don’t see it either.

I mean the video shows clips of people hanging around and sitting next to each other and one guy is dancing and has a pink car....soooo maybe he has a gender identity thing going on?

But I own a pink shirt, wait , does that mean...?

I don’t see it either.

I mean the video shows clips of people hanging around and sitting next to each other and one guy is dancing and has a pink car....soooo maybe he has a gender identity thing going on?

Not in the video, but on instagram maybe the guy in the S&M looking corset? I dunno, but in the pictures it looks like they are going with that theme.

“Trying to suppress who you are or who you want to be”. I guess with the images made available in the Instagram clip that it can be thought the band are pushing “globalist transgender propaganda” (how someone on an Instagram comment put it) which will definitely rub some people the wrong way. The video might turn out differently with the idea of kids acting out against their suppressing parents and not be about transgenders specifically or gender identity at all but we won’t know until tomorrow.

If this is the case then again, this is their effort to stir the pot in what’s being argued about in today’s political climate so edge in particular can feel all warm and toasty under his blanket of relevancy because the “culture” is talking about them. What’s annoying to me here is that the songs theme is supposed to be a letter to Bono’s children and the video may turn out to be trying to tackle another issue. Same treatment that Best Thing got for its video.

In the end, I think it’s still them trying to appeal to a younger hipster audience so their efforts to be loved by everyone come to pass.

Last edited:
Why be annoyed? The thought that "love is bigger than anything in its way" is a broader idea than just the message to his kids.

Why be annoyed? The thought that "love is bigger than anything in its way" is a broader idea than just the message to his kids.

That’s true I guess I would like a video to focus on what they talked about the songs having a specific meaning to them personally.

Like I could see them making a video for Landlady and it being about a refugee arriving at the Statue of Liberty or something when it’s a love letter to Ali.

I don’t see it either.

It’s probably not tied so specifically to trnagenderism but to gender nonconformity, and nonconformity in general. It’s be-true-to-yourself message is absolutely in accord with the song.

For me, the song is so gigantic that I would like to see an appropriately gigantic video, and this looks very indie.

But we’ll see.

It’s probably not tied so specifically to trnagenderism but to gender nonconformity, and nonconformity in general. It’s be-true-to-yourself message is absolutely in accord with the song.

For me, the song is so gigantic that I would like to see an appropriately gigantic video, and this looks very indie.

But we’ll see.

I really just want a good video that when I see it I don’t cringe (Boots/Elevation) or think “WTF was that in there for” (GOOYOW and the dead child) but rather is just cool (Beautiful Day!)

“Trying to suppress who you are or who you want to be”. I guess with the images made available in the Instagram clip that it can be thought the band are pushing “globalist transgender propaganda” (how someone on an Instagram comment put it) which will definitely rub some people the wrong way. The video might turn out differently with the idea of kids acting out against their suppressing parents and not be about transgenders specifically or gender identity at all but we won’t know until tomorrow.

If this is the case then again, this is their effort to stir the pot in what’s being argued about in today’s political climate so edge in particular can feel all warm and toasty under his blanket of relevancy because the “culture” is talking about them. What’s annoying to me here is that the songs theme is supposed to be a letter to Bono’s children and the video may turn out to be trying to tackle another issue. Same treatment that Best Thing got for its video.

In the end, I think it’s still them trying to appeal to a younger hipster audience so their efforts to be loved by everyone come to pass.

I disagree with the narrow scope you've applied to the song's message. While Bono may have envisioned LIBTAIIW as a letter to his children, the song's lyrics in my view act as a message to younger people everywhere. Its a song from someone older acknowledging that the future isn't necessarily a place they can venture, and while they can't go with them there, they can encourage newer generations along the way. I think if you look at it in that way, the applicability of this song for a video featuring younger and rebellious people makes sense (and in other cases, like with March for Our Lives).

But as a young college student myself, this is all my opinion. Personally, I think the video would have made more sense with a focus on modern youth marches and protest, but I haven't seen the full video yet so it remains to be seen how effective at aligning the message it is.

So it's come to analysing music videos before they're released now..

I’ve always seen this song as a bit of a gay anthem. When Australia passed marriage equality at the end of last year, my wife and I got very drunk celebrating, and were playing that song on repeat, screaming the words and no doubt annoying all our neighbours.

I hope this video does alienate these fools. The more divisive these issues become, the more these fuckwits have to own their backwards, disgusting opinions. It gives me a good idea who not to associate with.

Must make me ‘gaysist’

I wonder who "doughertydoc" is...

What’s annoying to me here is that the songs theme is supposed to be a letter to Bono’s children and the video may turn out to be trying to tackle another issue. Same treatment that Best Thing got for its video.

And we all applaud them for tackling the all important issue of making NYC look like a place tourists would like to visit. Maybe one day that little town will see some visitors because of it and really take off.

And we all applaud them for tackling the all important issue of making NYC look like a place tourists would like to visit. Maybe one day that little town will see some visitors because of it and really take off.

I was there last weekend, wandering the lonely streets of Midtown and past all those empty theaters and unsold Hamilton tickets. That part of the city has such potential, someone with a little foresight should put something near that intersection where Broadway crosses over 7th Ave. Maybe an Olive Garden, or a Guy Fieri theme restaurant?

Last edited:
I was there last weekend, wandering the lonely streets of Midtown and past all those empty theaters and unsold Hamilton tickets. That part of the city has such potential, someone with a little foresight should put something near that intersection where Broadway crosses over 7th Ave. Maybe an Olive Garden, or a Guy Fieri theme restaurant?

Ooooohh an Olive Garden....unlimited salad and breadsticks....that could be a recipe for success there.

Ooooohh an Olive Garden....unlimited salad and breadsticks....that could be a recipe for success there.

Also, maybe someone should write a romantic comedy and set it on the Upper West Side. I bet people would really like a movie like that.

The theme fits fine - not every video needs to be a literal translation of the original intent of the song.

Yeah. Look at the Please video. There was poetry in it that carried the song's sentiment/mood, but it wasn't literal or didactic.

The football video for Stuck in a Moment sucked, but I didn't expect them to have an actor recreating Michael Hutchence's wank-off/suicide.

Yeah. Look at the Please video. There was poetry in it that carried the song's sentiment/mood, but it wasn't literal or didactic.

The football video for Stuck in a Moment sucked, but I didn't expect them to have an actor recreating Michael Hutchence's wank-off/suicide.
I always thought All I want is you was about dwarfs. It's why I chose it as our wedding song.

Back
Top Bottom