Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't think we were allowed to talk about the Interference moderators like that.
giphy.gif

Yeah, I don't get it. Even as an unapologetic U2 fanatic I kinda hate the song lol, so I can only imagine how it sounds to peeps who aren't automatically willing to give the band the benefit of the doubt.

Whhyyyyy U2 didn't option to highlight the Blackout instead for this March Madness ad campaign will forever puzzle me.

And what kills me is that the album--American Soul (and, to a lesser extent, GOOYOW) aside--is a pretty solid work, IMO. But who's gonna want to check it out if they're led to believe this blunderous cacophony is one of the standouts? ugghhhndndbdbdb

Yeah, I don't get it. Even as an unapologetic U2 fanatic I kinda hate the song lol, so I can only imagine how it sounds to peeps who aren't automatically willing to give the band the benefit of the doubt.

Whhyyyyy U2 didn't option to highlight the Blackout instead for this March Madness ad campaign will forever puzzle me.

And what kills me is that the album--American Soul (and, to a lesser extent, GOOYOW) aside--is a pretty solid work, IMO. But who's gonna want to check it out if they're led to believe this blunderous cacophony is one of the standouts? ugghhhndndbdbdb
Lights of Home actually fits the whole survive and advance towards the final destination theme that the NCAA tournament has going for it... and they chose to use this moment to promote a song about refugees, but without ever actually having the parts about refugees play during any of the commercials, so it just looks like an old Irish band singing about America.

It's a baffling decision. One of many over the past decade, unfortunately.

So this band really stands behind American Soul....

This is starting to get into Get On Your Boots territory, where U2 doesn’t understand how poor a promo choice this song is. Not quite that level but enough to harm perceptions of the album.

This is starting to get into Get On Your Boots territory, where U2 doesn’t understand how poor a promo choice this song is. Not quite that level but enough to harm perceptions of the album.

I did hear both The Best Thing and GOOYOW on the radio a lot more than I did, say, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, and Every Breaking Wave (which might have amounted to one time total from each of the later songs). They didn't break into the public conscious to a huge extent, but both songs got a bit of airplay on AAA and Hot station-types. That's pretty good for what I'd expect this day and age.

My only real annoyance with both is that they follow a similar G-A-D-Bm progression for parts of their songs, which is sort of taking the easy way in becoming an earworm from a music theory standpoint. But that's just me looking too hard into things as a whole, haha. In the end, it's just music and personally, I'd probably have chosen at least one of the two to be a promoted track just on the structure and that fact that they're both, at the very least, decent tunes.

American Soul, on the other hand, is one that makes me scratch my chin a little bit here...

The album is done at this point. It came out 4+ months ago. No one cares, no one is going to care. They can’t milk it with new singles at this point because they blew it with their original choices and failing to get people’s attention.

Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around a Massive Rhinoceros Cock

...i have no idea what I'm doing lol

But I do think Best Thing was absolutely the band's best first album single since Vertigo (yeah, I know it's only got 2 competitors, but the margin of success is about as wide as Best Thing is from Vertigo, i.e. "rhinoceros cock" big).

But I do think Best Thing was absolutely the band's best first album single since Vertigo (yeah, I know it's only got 2 competitors, but the margin of success is about as wide as Best Thing is from Vertigo, i.e. "rhinoceros cock" big).

Like I said somewhere before... I heard it on terrestrial radio a lot more than Boots or The Miracle.

I once saw someone post the dirty song title "I poked a dick through an asshole". That one still makes me chuckle. Not sure who did it but it was over a decade ago, on this very forum.

U2's millennial singles game was strong:

sweetest cock
The cock beneath her feet
Beautiful cock
Stuck in a cock you can't get out of
Cock on

Radio was great then. I bet Miracle Cock would have been a hit, but I thought Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Cock was gonna be a hit too.

It's insane that they thought Cock on Your Boots was gonna be a hit. Stand Up Cock was the obvious single.

Every Breaking Cock should have been huge, Raised by Cocks would have been big; it's got that classic 80s U2 vibe. This is Where You Can Reach My Cock would also have been a good choice.

Back to Cocks of Experience:

They've got to give up on American Cocks and put their money behind Red Cock Day (with a cat video), Cocklady, and the Showcock. Little Cocks has charm too.

Sadly, the gloryhole days of great singles like Cocks Bloody Cocks, Cocks in the Name of Love and Where The Cocks Have No Name are behind them.

Back
Top Bottom