Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say the sublime first 3 minutes of Landlady along with the magic last minute of Landlady. :D

I still can’t believe that those who attended the album listening sessions reported that Landlady was the weakest or least memorable. It added to my excitement while first listening. It was the first song on the album that hit me as ok “this is the song on the album I was waiting for”.

I still can’t believe that those who attended the album listening sessions reported that Landlady was the weakest or least memorable. It added to my excitement while first listening. It was the first song on the album that hit me as ok “this is the song on the album I was waiting for”.

I'm still not buying landlady, my least favourite track on the album. Don't hate it, I like it but my least favourite.

I'm very much with you on this. As soon as I heard a writer describe it as "dreamily atmospheric" I was excited to hear it.

So many people didn't think much of it, and that's fine - to each their own - but like you, this is the song on the album I was waiting for.

I'm still not buying landlady, my least favourite track on the album. Don't hate it, I like it but my least favourite.

Probably not my least favorite (which I reserve usually for Summer of Love), but it's very near the bottom. To me, it is just so musically boring/bland...I fault The Edge honestly. It is a song that could have really benefited from some nice, driving atmosphere ala Heartland, but the guitar just hangs way too far back in the mix. The song really rests on the vocal melody, which is nice but nothing special until the final minute or so.

That being said, I do not dislike any song on the album, but it's not one that I tend to go out of my way to listen to.

To me, it is just so musically boring/bland...I fault The Edge honestly. It is a song that could have really benefited from some nice, driving atmosphere ala Heartland, but the guitar just hangs way too far back in the mix. The song really rests on the vocal melody, which is nice but nothing special until the final minute or so.

This best fits my feeling of the song. The last min is very nice but the rest is....meh.

Edge’s guitar on Landlady is delicate and magical. People who don’t like it must also hate hummingbirds and fireflies. And puppies. Especially puppies.

I don't hate puppies, but would never have one due to the large amount of piss and shit they would coat my floor with.

In other news, I like Landlady.

I’m perfectly fine without having animals in the house. :shrug:

As for Landlady, I like it as well. Not a standout, but it fits perfectly after Little Things.

Oh well I already knew that I'm a terrible person, but more confirmation helps.

The two most memorable riffs on the album aren’t even Edge. He sampled Haim and One Republic.

Adam and Larry shine again

Honestly I didn't like Landlady or Summer of love. They never grew on me every time I listen.

Seriously...since 2004 I have at least 5 of those...(shameless collector)

I'm sure this one will have some NEW information I don't have...:shifty:

I always buy them :) there's nothing new in it. Apart from the introduction from the edge. Last article is the write up from the i&e tour

Listened to the album like crazy for the first month it came out and then just sort of stopped, cold turkey.

Listened to it again today and fell in love all over again.

The problem is the album takes until about track 7 to really get going. Love is All, Lights of Home and Summer of Love are fine, but a bit mellow. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they bookend those three tracks with three other ones that you know U2 agonised over to be radio friendly, and in this era, means they're trying to do too much and ending up with a compromised outcome. I need to give somebody's alternate playlist a try (or just start from the second 'side').

The problem is the album takes until about track 7 to really get going. Love is All, Lights of Home and Summer of Love are fine, but a bit mellow. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they bookend those three tracks with three other ones that you know U2 agonised over to be radio friendly, and in this era, means they're trying to do too much and ending up with a compromised outcome. I need to give somebody's alternate playlist a try (or just start from the second 'side').

Interesting viewpoint, especially when people on here didn't mind wanting a slightly "mellower" Reach Me Now to start SOI instead of The Miracle, as initially planned.

There was a missed opportunity to give all those millions of people who had the album foisted upon them an opening song that wasn't reminiscent of U2's singles for their previous two albums. For the record, I think Reach Me Now is one of their best songs since Pop, and I know The Miracle isn't looked upon too fondly here but I started to like it a bit more as the I+E tour progressed, it felt like U2 were becoming more assured of themselves opening the show with it.

iTunes situation aside, if they kept all the same tracks I'd probably leave Reach Me Now where it is, but if the whole album was more like the second side then it might've been a cool idea to open with it.

Back
Top Bottom