Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotta say, the Liner Notes thing is cool, but a few things i have to say.

One, there weren't comments on each song. Would have been cool, especially was wondering about 13.

Also, wow, there were some really cool sounding parts in there, i guess from the cutting room floor that i sure wish had made the album. Number one would be a full vocal from Lady Gaga on Summer of Love. That sounded amazing, and was in line with what i had heard from someone who had heard an early version. He said it was a huge prechorus from Lady Gaga. Now the song sounds noticeably edited at that point.

Also some other bits in there on other songs that would have been a nice addition.

Gotta say, the Liner Notes thing is cool, but a few things i have to say.

One, there weren't comments on each song. Would have been cool, especially was wondering about 13.

Also, wow, there were some really cool sounding parts in there, i guess from the cutting room floor that i sure wish had made the album. Number one would be a full vocal from Lady Gaga on Summer of Love. That sounded amazing, and was in line with what i had heard from someone who had heard an early version. He said it was a huge prechorus from Lady Gaga. Now the song sounds noticeably edited at that point.

Also some other bits in there on other songs that would have been a nice addition.

Yeah, the older clips were interesting, some were obviously improved upon, but the absence of Lady Gaga on the album version is absolutely head scratching.

After six weeks with the album, I find that I've gotten literally every song stuck in my head at one time or another, which speaks to SOE's depth.

Really dislike the aesthetic of the liner notes video - just one shadowy ponderous image after another. Looks like a video for a some kind of neo-prog rock band. Some of the concert clips are cool, I guess.

Really dislike the aesthetic of the liner notes video - just one shadowy ponderous image after another. Looks like a video for a some kind of neo-prog rock band. Some of the concert clips are cool, I guess.

Jesus...

So were is everyone with the record?

I listen to the record probably 3-4 times a week. Driving to and from work I've always got it on.

13 is becoming a favourite. Think it's a brilliant choice to end the record. That's all I thought it was originally, just a song to end the album. Now I'm starting to appreciate it as a song.

Little things that give you away. Is that spine tingling, hairs on the back of your neck moment on the record. Still does it for me and probably my favourite song on the record.

Summer of love, red flag day and the showman I'm still loving. Really love these 3 tracks.

Get out of your own way has become a big track for me aswell. Not sure if it's because I hear it on the radio at work 2-3 times a day. But I really like the track

I was skipping you're the best thing about me but I listened to it the other day and still really like it.

Lights of home I still love, find myself now and again using it as track one and skipping the opening track. Love is all we have left sometimes gets played,sometimes it doesn't. Good opening track but hasn't developed into a track in its own right like 13 has with me.

The negative points.

Blackout is losing its sparkle, I still like it but I'm not into it like I once was. Same goes for landlady, its slipping down my order. Love is bigger I have never been that keen on. Still the same really. It's ok

American soul again I don't hate but it's down the bottom of the pecking order for me

I can definitely listen to the album from front to back and only really find myself skipping a track because my journey time is coming to an end and I want to listen to one of my favourites

So not to many negatives, think this is a great record and can't wait to hear the tracks live. I'd love to hear the album from front to back so it's definitely left an impression on me.

Think as time passes summer of love, red flag day, the showman lights of home, get out of your own way, little things that give you away and maybe 13 will be the tracks that have the legs and become favourites over the years to come

Last edited:
rennowba,

I haven't been listening to it as much lately, but having said that, it hasn't suffered as big a drop off for me as SOI did. And I like both albums. Just the desire to go back to some songs is way higher. Oh, and for what it's worth, my kids LOVE this album. Constantly asking for songs from it.

I think risers for me have been Summer of Love and Red Flag Day and even (slightly) American Soul. I still love the opener, 13 and Landlady and of course Little Things. Fallers have been Love is Bigger and Blackout.

My final comment is a selfish one, but I really wish there were no singles. Hearing so many of those as one-offs well ahead of the album leads to a "been there, done that" sentiment for me when I play the album. I understand they have to release songs ahead of the album to sell it, but it many ways it ruins those songs (and the album flow) for me.

I think Get Out and Best Thing would appeal to me much more if I heard them the first time with the album.

So were is everyone with the record?

I listen to the record probably 3-4 times a week. Driving to and from work I've always got it on.

13 is becoming a favourite. Think it's a brilliant choice to end the record. That's all I thought it was originally, just a song to end the album. Now I'm starting to appreciate it as a song.

Little things that give you away. Is that spine tingling, hairs on the back of your neck moment on the record. Still does it for me and probably my favourite song on the record.

Summer of love, red flag day and the showman I'm still loving. Really love these 3 tracks.

Get out of your own way has become a big track for me aswell. Not sure if it's because I hear it on the radio at work 2-3 times a day. But I really like the track

I was skipping you're the best thing about me but I listened to it the other day and still really like it.

Lights of home I still love, find myself now and again using it as track one and skipping the opening track. Love is all we have left sometimes gets played,sometimes it doesn't. Good opening track but hasn't developed into a track in its own right like 13 has with me.

The negative points.

Blackout is losing its sparkle, I still like it but I'm not into it like I once was. Same goes for landlady, its slipping down my order. Love is bigger I have never been that keen on. Still the same really. It's ok

American soul again I don't hate but it's down the bottom of the pecking order for me

I can definitely listen to the album from front to back and only really find myself skipping a track because my journey time is coming to an end and I want to listen to one of my favourites

So not to many negatives, think this is a great record and can't wait to hear the tracks live. I'd love to hear the album from front to back so it's definitely left an impression on me.

Think as time passes summer of love, red flag day, the showman lights of home, get out of your own way, little things that give you away and maybe 13 will be the tracks that have the legs and become favourites over the years to come

Album has continued to grow on me/hold steady and I'm still happy to listen all the way through with no skips.

Love Is Bigger and The Showman were duds for me out of the gate, but I'm coming to grudgingly respect both with time. Love Is All We Have Left took a while to "get" but now is lovely.

Strings version of Lights of Home is superior to the album version and makes it a top tier modern U2 song. Love it, and the BBC performance was stunning. The album version feels far too laid back for the lyrics (and the guitar is strangely muted) while the stings provide the urgency that fits the subject matter and allows the guitar to really pop in the second half of the song. I'm interested to see how they'll perform this on tour.

I didn't care for the live version of The Little Things when the song first surfaced, but the album version continues to sneak up on me. It's gorgeous.

I continue to find the album mix of The Blackout frustrating despite loving the live version - so I don't listen to it as much. Once again, the production seems to mute and de-emphasize the guitar relative to the live video - why?? :doh: The bass is too strong in the mix, to the point where it's a distraction. It's a great song though, and will be awesome live. Should have been released as a full single.

Also, despite having an "oh shit" reaction the first time I heard You're The Best Thing, it has become an ear worm I can't help but like. The tough question is which version is the best? Acoustic is what really sold me on it, but album version and Kygo are both great as well.

The promotion for Songs Experience continues to be puzzling. They played SNL in America and neither song had technically been released as a single... no music video yet for Get Out Of Your Own Way despite it being teased on Facebook over a month ago, which is an eternity in today's pop culture. I think the album's got a lot of great songs that could succeed as singles with the right focus, timing and promotion but the confused rollout has slowed the album's momentum IMO. Ah, well. Doesn't stop from loving the music. I continue to think the songs will be well received live, better than No Line and Songs of Innocence. I could see the band playing all these songs on tour at some point. And I tend to agree with the reviewer who stated the album will be looked back on as a "late career classic" - at least by U2 fans who are willing to give it a fair listen even if many critics have written them off simply because of who they are.

Last edited:
For being a fan since the early 00's, I'm just happy to be able to genuinely--nay, *love*--these last couple of albums. I know it's kinda to be expected for a band this late in their career to put out material that pales to their peaks, but, for me, personally, it's difficult not to be satisfied with these companion pieces. Sure, there hasn't been a One, or Streets, or even a Vertigo-caliber single from the band in awhile, but as albums--even as a collection of songs--these records are filled to the brim w/ quality tunes and are exemplification of U2's relevance, albeit relevance that may pertain more to me as an fan than popular culture at large ;D

Last edited:
Album has continued to grow on me/hold steady and I'm still happy to listen all the way through with no skips.

Love Is Bigger and The Showman were duds for me out of the gate, but I'm coming to grudgingly respect both with time. Love Is All We Have Left took a while to "get" but now is lovely.

Strings version of Lights of Home is superior to the album version and makes it a top tier modern U2 song. Love it, and the BBC performance was stunning. The album version feels far too laid back for the lyrics (and the guitar is strangely muted) while the stings provide the urgency that fits the subject matter and allows the guitar to really pop in the second half of the song. I'm interested to see how they'll perform this on tour.

I didn't care for the live version of The Little Things when the song first surfaced, but the album version continues to sneak up on me. It's gorgeous.

I continue to find the album mix of The Blackout frustrating despite loving the live version - so I don't listen to it as much. Once again, the production seems to mute and de-emphasize the guitar relative to the live video - why?? :doh: The bass is too strong in the mix, to the point where it's a distraction. It's a great song though, and will be awesome live. Should have been released as a full single.

Also, despite having an "oh shit" reaction the first time I heard You're The Best Thing, it has become an ear worm I can't help but like. The tough question is which version is the best? Acoustic is what really sold me on it, but album version and Kygo are both great as well.

The promotion for Songs Experience continues to be puzzling. They played SNL in America and neither song had technically been released as a single... no music video yet for Get Out Of Your Own Way despite it being teased on Facebook over a month ago, which is an eternity in today's pop culture. I think the album's got a lot of great songs that could succeed as singles with the right focus, timing and promotion but the confused rollout has slowed the album's momentum IMO. Ah, well. Doesn't stop from loving the music. I continue to think the songs will be well received live, better than No Line and Songs of Innocence. I could see the band playing all these songs on tour at some point. And I tend to agree with the reviewer who stated the album will be looked back on as a "late career classic" - at least by U2 fans who are willing to give it a fair listen even if many critics have written them off simply because of who they are.

I’d say they will get back in promo mode after the Grammy Awards.

Oh, and for what it's worth, my kids LOVE this album. Constantly asking for songs from it.

FWIW, my son is the same, he's been listening to both SOI and SOE on constant repeat for a while now. Its natural he picks up on some of the music I listen-to and recommend, but its a different thing for him to keep listening to it of his own accord!

FWIW, my son is the same, he's been listening to both SOI and SOE on constant repeat for a while now. Its natural he picks up on some of the music I listen-to and recommend, but its a different thing for him to keep listening to it of his own accord!

One of my nephews LOVES this album to his parents irritation as they don't mind it but he plays it over and over.

Still liking the album a lot. As someone else said Little Things and Landlady is spine tingling to me - absolute gems. Love Book of Love especially Edge's guitar work. LIAWHL was stunning when I first heard it and is still up there for me. The Summer of Love has grown a lot for me also. I have to say the only clunker of the album IMO is still American Soul ( sadly this song is my nephews favorite)!

American Soul is a real letdown, probably ranks somewhere around GOYB or SUC. GOOYOW is only marginally better. The rest of the album is pretty good to great...still love SOL all the way through the end....with RFD and TLTTGYA being the absolute highlights. Overall its a really good album with only a couple of misfires. For once I wish they'd only given us 11 songs....

I agree. Many of the alt versions made me sit up and take notice. I really hope there are plans to release them in the near future...singles, remixes?

I really like the way the showman starts in the liner notes.

Compared to 80/ 90’s u2 this album is forgettable. But Some Nice tracks on it at first.
Liked summer of love a lot, but now i know 1R has a huge influence in the lyrics and main guitar rif... i think WoW can u2 still make a great record? No i guess. Haven’t heard the album in full for weeks, says enough.
SoI best track sleep like a baby. But still like u2 for Some good tracks Each 3-5 years and Some great shows.

I liked the song till I realized someone I don’t like helped write it. Now I don’t like the same song, despite no difference in the actual song from when I liked it.

This.

If you like the song, you like the song. I love Summer of Love and if someone else had an influence, I’m okay with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
isn't it rude to ridicule the language skills of someone who, based on their location, probably speaks English as a second language? speak fluent Dutch Headache or any other language for that matter?

Agreed. That kind of post makes Mr. T cry.

giphy.gif

Compared to 80/ 90’s u2 this album is forgettable. But Some Nice tracks on it at first.

Liked summer of love a lot, but now i know 1R has a huge influence in the lyrics and main guitar rif... i think WoW can u2 still make a great record? No i guess. Haven’t heard the album in full for weeks, says enough.

SoI best track sleep like a baby. But still like u2 for Some good tracks Each 3-5 years and Some great shows.

Hearing the earlier version on the liner notes video, it sounds like they could have had the bones to this song before Tedder. And there’s really no indication he had any say in lyrics.

I continue to listen to this album a lot. There are no songs I dislike though American Soul, Blackout, and LIAWHL are at the bottom of the list for me. At the top are Little Things, 13, and Red Flag Day. As others have noted Little Things is quintessentially U2, an instant classic. I love 13 for the powerful sentiment, the lyrics, the moving and nuanced delivery by Bono. I’m not sure quite what it is about Red Flag Day that connects with me so much but it’s probably my personal favorite. Some have said it has a War vibe. Not sure I hear that but I do adore War so maybe there’s something to it.

I still listen to the album all the time with a modified track list. Took out dogshit American Soul and mediocre Love is Bigger.

I like The Blackout and Lights of Home, both will be monsters live, but I'll sometimes skip them if I'm not in the mood.

Gooyow grew on me a bit so I keep it in. Everything else I love.

isn't it rude to ridicule the language skills of someone who, based on their location, probably speaks English as a second language? speak fluent Dutch Headache or any other language for that matter?
What in the holy hell are you talking about?

I phrased my post to sound stupid, as that's what I would call liking the song at first and then deciding you don't like it anymore because Ryan Tedder helped write it is... stupid.

I can't tell what their native language, nationality or whatever was or is from that post whatsoever and certainly was not mocking it, not would I.

I only mock the language skills Canadians and Axver. Lovingly, of course.

Last edited:
what in the holy hell are you talking about?

I phrased my post to sound stupid, as that's what i would call liking the song at first and then deciding you don't like it anymore because ryan tedder helped write it is... Stupid.

I can't tell what their native language, nationality or whatever was or is from that post whatsoever and certainly was not mocking it, not would i.

I only mock the language skills canadians and axver. Lovingly, of course.

Bullshit

Clearly Headache was mocking the poorly developed logic behind the post by illustrating it in broken English, not the broken English itself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom