Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3 things

1- Awesome
2- how often does an artist who is not nominated for any Grammys actual perform? Honest question, as I don't follow that closely
3- What song will they perform? Big money on Get Out of Your Own Way as it's on Triple A radio now and is being pushed to Alternative on 1/9/18

How about they take a cue from the overwhelmingly positive reaction to Abbey Road show and play Lights of home or Love is bigger... with a choir/orchestra ?

No doubt they’ll play GOOYOW at the Grammys.

They should play Lights of Home (String version with orchestra) and Little Things

Yeah I’m about 99% sure this will tie in with Kendrick, which is ok because I like the songs he’s tied into on the album. I can get the dislike for American Soul but the slamming of GOOYOW is one of the more odd opinions I’ve seen in a while. It’s a great song and even better choice of a single.

Yeah I’m about 99% sure this will tie in with Kendrick, which is ok because I like the songs he’s tied into on the album. I can get the dislike for American Soul but the slamming of GOOYOW is one of the more odd opinions I’ve seen in a while. It’s a great song and even better choice of a single.

GOOYOW is a good song, I like it lot. The live performances are getting better and better with the BBC version being very good.

It goes without saying that the megaphone is NOT part of my assessment of the live versions as that is as baffling as his purple glasses.

Let’s just address the elephant in the room.......

There is a 2.75% chance that they play Ordinary Love.

Yea I don't get it.

I think part of it is the grass is always greener syndrome that strikes this place often.

Yeah I don't get some of the rabid hatred for GOOYOW, and I'm one of those people who thinks it's a pretty unremarkable tune. Like, it's so bland that I can't imagine it provoking any strong feeling whatsoever.

I can also see Bono saying "Kendrick Lamar in the house" at some point, because he's an awkward soul stuck in the early 90s.

Oh god, probably not wrong.

No. He just hates Bono so much that this gave him the opportunity to jump down his throat.

Mate, Larry is the one I usually accuse of being dead weight in this band. Get your stereotype right! :wink:

I don’t think it’s a hatred for GOOYOW.

From my perspective, apart from the BBC show, all their live performances of new songs (apart from Little Things on the JT tour) have been TBT, GOOYOW or AS. I think the genreral consensus is they are the 3 weakest songs on the album. I don’t think GOOYOW is a bad song by any means, just that SOE has so many really good songs I wish they’d promote the other songs more.

The BBC special was a great start, and it shows. Lights of Home and Love is Bigger were amazing performances and much better than GOOYOW or TBT with the orchestra.

They need to carry on with that and keep playing those other songs.

I don’t think it’s a hatred for GOOYOW.

I was referring to the people like Cobbler who are calling it possibly U2's worst song ever.

First, what? Second, no. Third, worse than Stand Up Comedy or Boots or American Soul, really now? Fourth, what?

I was referring to the people like Cobbler who are calling it possibly U2's worst song ever.

First, what? Second, no. Third, worse than Stand Up Comedy or Boots or American Soul, really now? Fourth, what?

So I am in the camp of liking the song but being a reasonable person, I can understand one thinking it's.....bland. I can't for the life of me understand someone thinking it's "the worst" or even bottom 10 of just the millennium.

Are songs like "Miami" or "Daddy's going to pay" more interesting/different than GOOYOW, sure they are but if I'm driving on the highway and see a hawk eating the ass out of a dead raccoon on the side of the road I would also classify that as "investing/different" but that's doesn't make it good.

Lmao there's hardly anything on SOE that's as thrilling, engaging and memorable as the sonic hellscape that is DGPFYCC, let alone that limp noodle of a Beautiful Day cover that they passed off as single material.

Last edited:
Lmao there's hardly anything on SOE that's as thrilling, engaging and memorable as the sonic hellscape that is DGPFYCC, let alone that limp noodle of a Beautiful Day cover that they passed off as single material.

Yes there is.

Come on.....are you one of those around here who are going to tell me that the chorus to American Soul (you and I are Rock and Roll) is bad and then come back and say the chorus to Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car is good.

Come on.....are you one of those around here who are going to tell me that the chorus to American Soul (you and I are Rock and Roll) is bad and then come back and say the chorus to Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car is good.
Um, yes?

There's more creativity and ingenuity in Edge's grinding, industrial guitar work than anything he's contributed this decade. The lyrics, instead of beating you over the head with platitudes, have poetic nuance and can be read in more than one way. Instead of immediately knowing what the song is about based on the title, you have to use its imagery and tone to break it down. That's good songwriting.

Zooropa is shooting up so many lists these days not because of nostalgia but because it has something to offer on repeat listens.

The lyrics, instead of beating you over the head with platitudes, have poetic nuance and can be read in more than one way. Instead of immediately knowing what the song is about based on the title, you have to use its imagery and tone to break it down. That's good songwriting.

Just because it can be read in so many ways doesn’t make it good song writing, it’s if it connects to the listener. By that logic, Imagine by Lennon isn’t good song writing. I’ll agree to disagree.

Zooropa is shooting up so many lists these days not because of nostalgia but because it has something to offer on repeat listens.

What lists is Zooropa climbing up?

All I hear from the SOE detractors is that the song titles are too long, “where is Edge and his signature sound”, the songs are boring and the lyrics are poor. All 4 of those can easily be applied to Zooropa(The First Time might be right there with Peace on Earth as the most boring U2 song).

If we're talking official album tracks only, it's very close to the bottom for me. It's basically Get Out, SUC, and Crazy Tonight in some order.

Boots at least has some energy and creativity in it, even if it's Frankensteined together.

I'd say it's on par with SUC in terms of embarrassing lyrical content. It may be catchier but it also recycles too much of 2000-era U2. There is nothing from the 80s or 90s that sinks that low, IMO. Those eras' lesser tracks either explore new sounds or have the raw passion of the early days. Like I'm sure Get Out is more sophisticated and interesting than some of October's blander tracks but I'd still rather listen to the latter.

As for something like Miami, it's long been a whipping boy but as an impressionist portrait of a place and mood it's certainly evocative. And the band actually sounds like it gives a shit. It sounds new, vital, exciting. I don't think Bono screaming "My mammy" at the end (which I personally find to be fun) invalidates what it has to offer.

There's more creativity and ingenuity in Edge's grinding, industrial guitar work than anything he's contributed this decade. The lyrics, instead of beating you over the head with platitudes, have poetic nuance and can be read in more than one way. Instead of immediately knowing what the song is about based on the title, you have to use its imagery and tone to break it down. That's good

meryl-streep.gif

It at least has the Let Me In The Sound section, which I thought even the detractors appreciated.

Those other songs really have nothing on that level to even slightly excuse them.

I guess my thing is, why does it HAVE to be like anything before it? Both these albums were born from such different places. Zooropa was a band at the pinnacle, perhaps, of their success and cultural relevance, going off script--again--to pay homage to the art behind their craft. It's a masterpiece, I love it, but it's not free of it's missteps. "Some Days" is interesting production-wise but a total snoozer. DGPFYCC is similar, but I actually dont notice the lyrics on that one as much.

SoE on the other hand is a band searching for relevance slowed facing the spectre of their own physical and professional mortality. It is like Zooropa in having turns of beauty and complexity, but I can see more second guessing on this one or "pandering" to the masses than on Zooropa. Not to take anything away, though- I really, really like this album. It continues to grow on me more than any album they've done since Pop. I hear them pushing again, and I wish and hope they turn to the same freewheeling artistic place that gave us Zooropa.

They're a different band now, and the court of public opinion wont allow them to do some of what they did back then. But I like the lyrical weight on this, and while I crave more Edge and ambience, this is damn good. I'd be interested in seeing them work with Barlow more, and hope they take some of the criticism of American Soul, the singles, and some of the "trying too hard" bits on board, because this proves to me they could still have some of that old magic again.

Last edited:
I actually think they may not play Get Out of Your Own Way. I think it will depend on how it does on the charts over the next month. If by then it's doing well, they may perform it. If not, I would think they will move on to the next single, which Bono seemed to indicate will be Love is Bigger. It would be a great platform to launch the song on.

I think AB/Zooropa/PoP is the band's perfect trilogy and is absolutely unreachable. It's perfection.

But that said SOE is fucking great and the best thing since ATYCLB and maybe better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom