Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please spare us the faux outrage. You can’t say anything slightly controversial these days without a hysterical reaction.

Yes, Bono probably shouldn’t have used the word “girly” but I think we all know he isn’t sexist and we know the underlying point he was trying to make.

No. Stop being an apologist. Sexist things are sexist. If you don’t want to be called on it, don’t fucking say it.

Your argument is tantamount to the nonsense Trump voters go on with about political correctness gone mad. It hasn’t, we’ve just learnt from our mistakes and want to make things fairer. Resistance to this is the exclusive territory of the people who want to hold on to bigoted beliefs, but not be labelled for them.

Do I think Bono is sexist? No. Do I think an absent minded faux pas makes him look like a dinosaur? Abso-tootly.

Dear Dan,

You got me wrong. I live in a country that was the first to grant women a right to vote. I have a wife and a daughter. My wife plays soccer. Unfortunately in my home country ”women’s euro” is still 0.8 euros. I am all in for equlity, but I also understand that like all species we have male and female. And for the record I despise Trump.

Please spare us the faux outrage. You can’t say anything slightly controversial these days without a hysterical reaction.

Yes, Bono probably shouldn’t have used the word “girly” but I think we all know he isn’t sexist and we know the underlying point he was trying to make.

Girly isn’t a bad word, as words themselves cannot be bad. That’s just stupid. It’s all about context

He wasn’t trying to be sexist, therefore I’m not going to lose my shit.

I think the actions this man has taken over the course of his life speak louder than a stupid comment in a magazine.

New remix of GOOYOW on Apple Music. It’s interesting. More club than anything. Fun listen.

The problem is twofold. I’ll repeat once again that he used “girly” as a pejorative. And the comparison was made before to how many people used to say something was “gay” when they thought it was dumb or weak (I include myself among those people). That’s not ok anymore. It’s also not ok to call something “retarded”, as I’m sure most of us were guilty of at some point.

The other part is that he implied, however indirectly, that were wasn’t any female rage in rock & roll, or that a revolution in rock could only happen with the return of male rage. There’s a lot wrong with this statement in terms of not being aware of the entirety of the music scene; he should know at this point how diverse people’s interests are in this area and how niche-driven rock music has become. Now I agree with Bono that’s it’s a good thing for young men to have an artistic/musical outlet for pent-up energy and emotion, and this is something that is relatively absent, at least on the charts and radio compared to the days of classic/cock rock. But there was a way to phrase this sentiment that doesn’t disenfranchise or ignore women in rock.

We all know the band’s history, how important women are to their organization, how they championed female heroes on the last tour, how they are big admirers of poet of rage Patti Smith, how he’s had lyrics like “women of the future have the big revelations”, his charity work with Poverty is Sexist, etc. But the general public doesn’t, and so he comes off like yet another man scared of the long-controlling patriarchy starting to crumble.

This isn’t about people overreacting, it’s about considering your choice of words when you’re speaking from a large pulpit and position of power and influence, regardless of what your past actions and words have displayed.

The problem is twofold. I’ll repeat once again that he used “girly” as a pejorative. And the comparison was made before to how many people used to say something was “gay” when they thought it was dumb or weak (I include myself among those people). That’s not ok anymore. It’s also not ok to call something “retarded”, as I’m sure most of us were guilty of at some point.

The other part is that he implied, however indirectly, that were wasn’t any female rage in rock & roll, or that a revolution in rock could only happen with the return of male rage. There’s a lot wrong with this statement in terms of not being aware of the entirety of the music scene; he should know at this point how diverse people’s interests are in this area and how niche-driven rock music has become. Now I agree with Bono that’s it’s a good thing for young men to have an artistic/musical outlet for pent-up energy and emotion, and this is something that is relatively absent, at least on the charts and radio compared to the days of classic/cock rock. But there was a way to phrase this sentiment that doesn’t disenfranchise or ignore women in rock.

We all know the band’s history, how important women are to their organization, how they championed female heroes on the last tour, how they are big admirers of poet of rage Patti Smith, how he’s had lyrics like “women of the future have the big revelations”, his charity work with Poverty is Sexist, etc. But the general public doesn’t, and so he comes off like yet another man scared of the long-controlling patriarchy starting to crumble.

This isn’t about people overreacting, it’s about considering your choice of words when you’re speaking from a large pulpit and position of power and influence, regardless
of what your past actions and words have displayed.

100%. And the fact that we even have to discuss this sucks. That said, sex&drugs&rock’roll

A month in - any songs on SOE you are just done with?

I'm through with The Blackout. I think it's mostly dross and shit lyrics. What happened is I listened to Acrobat and then The Blackout sequentially because I thought, "oh here's a pairing of angsty angry songs". The latter clearly doesn't hold up.

Last edited:

I'm through with The Blackout. I think it's mostly dross and shit lyrics. What happened is I listened to Acrobat and then The Blackout sequentially because I thought, "oh here's a pairing of angsty angry songs". The latter clearly doesn't hold up.

Don't think there's any at the minute I don't like. Think the album becomes great from summer of love to blackout. Lights of home is great. Opening and ending tracks are what they are. Album tracks that open the album nicely and end the album nicely but I wouldn't exactly listen to them on their own if that makes sense.

Best thing I still like, get out of your own way I like more then best thing, got into u2 because of beautiful day/atyclb so obviously I'm gonna like this track. I love the Kendrick Lamar ending into. American soul I still like.

The only one I wasn't that fond of was love is bigger but that's growing on me now

The one I like the least right now is GOOYOW. The lyrics make me cringe. I actually kind of like American Soul, which I used to hate. I may have overdosed on Summer of Love and need to give it a rest for a while. 13 still makes me cry, so I try not to listen to it when I’m driving to work.

Tune in again next week for totally different opinions! :lol:

I come from the Seinfeld and Larry David school of say things as controversial as you want and then say “not that there is anything wrong with that!”
Music is very girly today...not that there is anything wrong with that!
Let me know if this helps at all...I’m here all night!

I come from the Seinfeld and Larry David school of say things as controversial as you want and then say “not that there is anything wrong with that!”
Music is very girly today...not that there is anything wrong with that!
Let me know if this helps at all...I’m here all night!

Not sure! One thing that people are losing in droves is a sense of humor! Comedians can't talk about much these days!!

......not that there's anything wrong with that! (There is!!)

I’ve taken a (mostly inadvertent) break from SOE for the past week or two because the lead up to Christmas was just crazy and I found myself playing Breath of the Wild in my free time instead of listening to music (I don’t like “soundtracking” Zelda).

That being said, I still get a lot of the songs popping into my head during any given day, and am curious how I’ll feel about it once I get back into it.

Also - I didn’t care much for LOH for a while, but it does just appear in my head a lot... and I’ve been “mashing it up” with Miami in my head. For example:

“I can see the liiights in front me... baby’s always attracted to, the things she’s afraid of.”

If that makes any sense? They have the same kinda swagger and are maybe in the same or similar key.

Still love Blackout and for me personally, never cared for Acrobat(one of the few songs I always skip on Achtung but Im in the minority there I think).

With that said.....Love is All We Have Left....left the building for me about two weeks ago. I now start my listening experience with LOH.

Not sure! One thing that people are losing in droves is a sense of humor! Comedians can't talk about much these days!!

......not that there's anything wrong with that! (There is!!)

I had sex with your wife!! George his wife is in a coma...

Also - I didn’t care much for LOH for a while, but it does just appear in my head a lot... and I’ve been “mashing it up” with Miami in my head. For example:

“I can see the liiights in front me... baby’s always attracted to, the things she’s afraid of.”

If that makes any sense? They have the same kinda swagger and are maybe in the same or similar key.

Love is Bigger immediately turned me off as I felt like it was a church tune...I love it now...maybe God walked in to the room!

It does totally!!

yes to this. i never understood the love for blackout. skip every time.

I also skip 3-5 almost every time. get out is ok, but american soul is so everything i hate about U2's worst moments wrapped up into one. It's still easily neck and neck with stand up comedy as the worst of the last 20 years.

the rest i really enjoy and do really love a lot of the songs.

it's going to be frustrating to see them playing the 4 i don't care for live most nights.

I also skip 3-5 almost every time. get out is ok, but american soul is so everything i hate about U2's worst moments wrapped up into one. It's still easily neck and neck with stand up comedy as the worst of the last 20 years.

it's going to be frustrating to see them playing the 4 i don't care for live most nights.

I tend to agree with your sentiment. One question if you never heard the other songs from SOE would you feel the same way?

I tend to agree with your sentiment. One question if you never heard the other songs from SOE would you feel the same way?

i think so. i tried hard to really like the best thing and blackout when they were first released and never really warmed to either.

american soul i have despised since first listen, i think the beginning riff is ok, but everything else is just so bad. i listen to it, and totally understand why people hate u2. it is like everything embarrassing about u2 wrapped into one and turned up to 11.

i like get out of your own way. on it's own it would be a middle of the road u2 song for me, but still never going to be the top half of the album.

Its one of they words that people used for years,and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Its one of they words that people used for years,and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Only men voting is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Calling black people "******" or "coon" are two of those words that people used for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Treating LGBT people as criminals is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Taking babies off unwed single mothers is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Calling Aboriginal Australians "Abo" is one of those words people used for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Using sexist language like equating "girly" with weak or inferior is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Some of you need to take a long, hard look at yourselves and the implications of your language. It's not people suddenly taking offence, it's people finally calling you out on, at best, using lazy stereotypes, and at worst being genuinely mean and dismissive.

Only men voting is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Calling black people "******" or "coon" are two of those words that people used for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Treating LGBT people as criminals is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Taking babies off unwed single mothers is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Calling Aboriginal Australians "Abo" is one of those words people used for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Using sexist language like equating "girly" with weak or inferior is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Some of you need to take a long, hard look at yourselves and the implications of your language. It's not people suddenly taking offence, it's people finally calling you out on, at best, using lazy stereotypes, and at worst being genuinely mean and dismissive.
Never mentioned any of they other words but fair enough. Maybe because I'm from Scotland But nobody here would find girly offensive. And that's the word I'm talking about.

But that's my point in putting it alongside other things that put people down or suggested they don't belong. Just because it's not seen as offensive doesn't mean there is no implication that anything associated with half the population is somehow lesser. And that's why Bono - and anyone else who uses "girly" pejoratively - needs to stop using it that way.

I think it's like "gay" was at the start of the decade (and like others in this thread, I'll fess up to having said "that's gay" at high school). People are starting to realise that what seemed like a fairly harmless putdown is really quite rude - and doesn't even make sense as a putdown. Why the hell is "girly" even used to suggest something negative? (Yes, the long historical/social context, but you should all see what I'm getting at.)

Calling something girly because it has bows and ribbons and is pink with purple polka dots would probably be kinda offensive as well in the grand scheme of things, but I doubt anyone would have batted an eye at it.

Calling something girly and immediately following it up with a discussion of young male angst implies that the "thing" in question is soft, and therefore, implies that being a girl is being somehow less than being a boy/man.

If you can't see why people would take offense at that, then you need a hard look in the mirror.

That said, those of us who know the band and the man know that the odds of Bono being a raging closet sexist are pretty slim, and that he just had a poor choice of words that shows him to be a little old and out of touch more than anything else.

But that's a small sample space. Most people didn't see the "luminous icons" or know the One Campaign's current campaign slogan, or that Bono one woman of the year. So they see something sexist, and they think hey, that guy's probably a sexist.

How they let it get to the press without cutting it is beyond me. There's no doubt that Jann would have allowed someone on the U2 PR team to review. They should have known better, and it's another example of U2 management sleeping on the job.

Back
Top Bottom