Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 04:58 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 05:20 PM
I’ve taken a (mostly inadvertent) break from SOE for the past week or two because the lead up to Christmas was just crazy and I found myself playing Breath of the Wild in my free time instead of listening to music (I don’t like “soundtracking” Zelda).

That being said, I still get a lot of the songs popping into my head during any given day, and am curious how I’ll feel about it once I get back into it.

pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #47
War Child

Also - I didn’t care much for LOH for a while, but it does just appear in my head a lot... and I’ve been “mashing it up” with Miami in my head. For example:

“I can see the liiights in front me... baby’s always attracted to, the things she’s afraid of.”

If that makes any sense? They have the same kinda swagger and are maybe in the same or similar key.

pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:20 PM
Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
A month in - any songs on SOE you are just done with?

I'm through with The Blackout. I think it's mostly dross and shit lyrics. What happened is I listened to Acrobat and then The Blackout sequentially because I thought, "oh here's a pairing of angsty angry songs". The latter clearly doesn't hold up.

Still love Blackout and for me personally, never cared for Acrobat(one of the few songs I always skip on Achtung but Im in the minority there I think).

With that said.....Love is All We Have Left....left the building for me about two weeks ago. I now start my listening experience with LOH.
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #49
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Not sure! One thing that people are losing in droves is a sense of humor! Comedians can't talk about much these days!!

......not that there's anything wrong with that! (There is!!)

I had sex with your wife!! George his wife is in a coma...
cseggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #50
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post
Also - I didn’t care much for LOH for a while, but it does just appear in my head a lot... and I’ve been “mashing it up” with Miami in my head. For example:

“I can see the liiights in front me... baby’s always attracted to, the things she’s afraid of.”

If that makes any sense? They have the same kinda swagger and are maybe in the same or similar key.

Love is Bigger immediately turned me off as I felt like it was a church tune...I love it now...maybe God walked in to the room!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #51
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post

It does totally!!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
A month in - any songs on SOE you are just done with?

I'm through with The Blackout. I think it's mostly dross and shit lyrics. What happened is I listened to Acrobat and then The Blackout sequentially because I thought, "oh here's a pairing of angsty angry songs". The latter clearly doesn't hold up.
yes to this. i never understood the love for blackout. skip every time.

I also skip 3-5 almost every time. get out is ok, but american soul is so everything i hate about U2's worst moments wrapped up into one. It's still easily neck and neck with stand up comedy as the worst of the last 20 years.

the rest i really enjoy and do really love a lot of the songs.

it's going to be frustrating to see them playing the 4 i don't care for live most nights.
jphelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #53
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphelmet View Post

I also skip 3-5 almost every time. get out is ok, but american soul is so everything i hate about U2's worst moments wrapped up into one. It's still easily neck and neck with stand up comedy as the worst of the last 20 years.

it's going to be frustrating to see them playing the 4 i don't care for live most nights.

I tend to agree with your sentiment. One question if you never heard the other songs from SOE would you feel the same way?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #54
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphelmet View Post

I tend to agree with your sentiment. One question if you never heard the other songs from SOE would you feel the same way?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #55
Refugee

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseggleton View Post
i think so. i tried hard to really like the best thing and blackout when they were first released and never really warmed to either.

american soul i have despised since first listen, i think the beginning riff is ok, but everything else is just so bad. i listen to it, and totally understand why people hate u2. it is like everything embarrassing about u2 wrapped into one and turned up to 11.

i like get out of your own way. on it's own it would be a middle of the road u2 song for me, but still never going to be the top half of the album.
jphelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:19 AM   #56
Refugee

Local Time: 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
Please spare us the faux outrage. You can’t say anything slightly controversial these days without a hysterical reaction.

Yes, Bono probably shouldn’t have used the word “girly” but I think we all know he isn’t sexist and we know the underlying point he was trying to make.
Its one of they words that people used for years,and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.
super fly guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:43 AM   #57
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by super fly guy View Post
Its one of they words that people used for years,and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.
Only men voting is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Calling black people "nigger" or "coon" are two of those words that people used for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Treating LGBT people as criminals is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Taking babies off unwed single mothers is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Calling Aboriginal Australians "Abo" is one of those words people used for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Using sexist language like equating "girly" with weak or inferior is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Some of you need to take a long, hard look at yourselves and the implications of your language. It's not people suddenly taking offence, it's people finally calling you out on, at best, using lazy stereotypes, and at worst being genuinely mean and dismissive.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:27 AM   #58
Refugee

Local Time: 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Only men voting is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Calling black people "nigger" or "coon" are two of those words that people used for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Treating LGBT people as criminals is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Taking babies off unwed single mothers is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Calling Aboriginal Australians "Abo" is one of those words people used for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Using sexist language like equating "girly" with weak or inferior is one of those things people did for years, and all of a sudden like most things nowadays people take "offence".

Non story.

Some of you need to take a long, hard look at yourselves and the implications of your language. It's not people suddenly taking offence, it's people finally calling you out on, at best, using lazy stereotypes, and at worst being genuinely mean and dismissive.
Never mentioned any of they other words but fair enough. Maybe because I'm from Scotland But nobody here would find girly offensive. And that's the word I'm talking about.
super fly guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:29 AM   #59
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:20 AM
But that's my point in putting it alongside other things that put people down or suggested they don't belong. Just because it's not seen as offensive doesn't mean there is no implication that anything associated with half the population is somehow lesser. And that's why Bono - and anyone else who uses "girly" pejoratively - needs to stop using it that way.

I think it's like "gay" was at the start of the decade (and like others in this thread, I'll fess up to having said "that's gay" at high school). People are starting to realise that what seemed like a fairly harmless putdown is really quite rude - and doesn't even make sense as a putdown. Why the hell is "girly" even used to suggest something negative? (Yes, the long historical/social context, but you should all see what I'm getting at.)

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor

Calling something girly because it has bows and ribbons and is pink with purple polka dots would probably be kinda offensive as well in the grand scheme of things, but I doubt anyone would have batted an eye at it.

Calling something girly and immediately following it up with a discussion of young male angst implies that the "thing" in question is soft, and therefore, implies that being a girl is being somehow less than being a boy/man.

If you can't see why people would take offense at that, then you need a hard look in the mirror.

That said, those of us who know the band and the man know that the odds of Bono being a raging closet sexist are pretty slim, and that he just had a poor choice of words that shows him to be a little old and out of touch more than anything else.

But that's a small sample space. Most people didn't see the "luminous icons" or know the One Campaign's current campaign slogan, or that Bono one woman of the year. So they see something sexist, and they think hey, that guy's probably a sexist.

How they let it get to the press without cutting it is beyond me. There's no doubt that Jann would have allowed someone on the U2 PR team to review. They should have known better, and it's another example of U2 management sleeping on the job.

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bongs of experience, soe, songs of experience