Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This discussion is about as interesting to me as listening to SOE. I'm not happy about that.

In all seriousness though. To bring this thread back to the greatness of the album, I can confidently say that there isn’t a song I skip well after a month. This and SOI are both successful as going down as strong consistent albums. I’d say SOE has more highs, but SOI is so damn fun.

How they let it get to the press without cutting it is beyond me. There's no doubt that Jann would have allowed someone on the U2 PR team to review. They should have known better, and it's another example of U2 management sleeping on the job.

Because Bono's been using variations of "girly" and "...like a girl" for years, including as recently as the Stern interview, without the world melting down?

He probably didn't even think twice about it. And if he did think about it, he underestimated social media's capacity for outrage. Though you're quite right, someone like Oseary (assuming he saw the interview before it went to press) should have known better.

Last edited:
Because Bono's been using the "girly" thing and "...like a girl" for years, including as recently as the Stern interview, without the world melting down?

He probably didn't even think twice about it. And if he did think about it, he underestimated social media's capacity for outrage.
There's a difference between saying you sound like a girl and saying something is girly.

And Bono of all people should know full well all about social media's ability to flip out over small things.

Maybe the first months of 2018 won’t be that quiet after all.

https://twitter.com/u2start/status/947212086337261569

3 things

1- Awesome
2- how often does an artist who is not nominated for any Grammys actual perform? Honest question, as I don't follow that closely
3- What song will they perform? Big money on Get Out of Your Own Way as it's on Triple A radio now and is being pushed to Alternative on 1/9/18

3 things

1- Awesome
2- how often does an artist who is not nominated for any Grammys actual perform? Honest question, as I don't follow that closely
3- What song will they perform? Big money on Get Out of Your Own Way as it's on Triple A radio now and is being pushed to Alternative on 1/9/18
It's much more common now.

U2 opened the Grammys with the infamous awful "guy-liner" Boots performance when they weren't nominated. The song had just come out.

I could see a Kendrick colab... God willing it's on XXX and not American Soul.

They SHOULD play either Little Things or Love Is Bigger.

They'll probably play Get Out or American Soul.

Anything that’s not American Soul will be fine with me.

Really hoping for Little Things or Love is Bigger. I think people will dig it.

Let’s hope there’s a new single in a month for them to promote.

Of course, it will be Get Out and they’ll embarrass themselves with one of their worst songs ever.

I’d rather see them do Lights of Home with Haim than any of the Kendrick collaborations, but that won’t happen.

At least if they play Get Out or American Soul , Kendrick can do his bit at the end or beginning and spare us Bono on the megaphone again. ;)

They will appear with Kendrick doing XXX and that will lead into American Soul.

There's a difference between saying you sound like a girl and saying something is girly.

And Bono of all people should know full well all about social media's ability to flip out over small things.

He's still used that "sounds like a girl" line as a pejorative though. So what if his vocals sounded more feminine? Plenty of great male singers do (the singer from Mew comes to mind immediately). Is Bono that lacking in confidence about his own masculinity that he would be uncomfortable if his vocals were mistaken for that of a woman?

He's still used that "sounds like a girl" line as a pejorative though. So what if his vocals sounded more feminine? Plenty of great male singers do (the singer from Mew comes to mind immediately). Is Bono that lacking in confidence about his own masculinity that he would be uncomfortable if his vocals were mistaken for that of a woman?

You’re really upset about this, aren’t you?

If they do AS at the Gram Grams awards I hope it sounds better than it did on SNL. The mix just sounded bad. The song should be a powerhouse live track.

If they are playing the Grammys, it'll be GOOYOW

Although I'd love it if they played The Showman. That song had grown on me sooo much.

You’re really upset about this, aren’t you?

Actually, it's funny, I'm not, it's fairly minor in the broader scheme of things. But it's a topic on here that some people are posting bad takes about, or who just seem to be oblivious as to why this might be problematic and it taps into one of this year's larger themes.

If you want me to get properly riled up, let's talk Manus Island.

Why this album hasn't been pushed with either lights of home,summer of love,red flag day,the showman,little things or the blackout completely baffles me. Those 6 songs are for me the best songs on the record.

Theve got their single choices wrong since no line on the horizon. It's crap aswell that the chances of seeing those 6 songs live are very slim as you know get out, American soul and best thing will be played at every show.

Just read the entire Rolling Stone piece for the first time. And I didn't really read the girly usage as a pejorative. I read it as a descriptor given and then moved on from, in a long and rambling conversational interview, that really needed fleshing out.
My take: he should have said 'targeted towards young girls', rather than girly. Then he should have contextualized this by elaborating on his earlier point, about young girls streaming a pop song on repeat, and how that skews the charts these days. And that music is being tailored to meet this 'repeat streaming' thing. That this is the music being thrust into people's faces. And that many young men may not relate to it. Nor may they have the knowledge or wherewithal to discover the more underground music Ax and LM can list.
That was my take on 'girly', when viewed in context.

However, I'm not saying his use of the term is ok. Whether he used it as a pejorative or not, it can easily read like he did. And that alone is not good enough.
But I'm sure the rest of the article is proof enough he didn't mean it that way.

They will appear with Kendrick doing XXX and that will lead into American Soul.
I can actually see this happening

I can see it happening with CBS promoting the shit out of "a collaboration you won't want to miss!" in the lead up, too.

I can also see Bono saying "Kendrick Lamar in the house" at some point, because he's an awkward soul stuck in the early 90s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom