Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 06:40 AM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 10:45 PM
Please spare us the faux outrage. You can’t say anything slightly controversial these days without a hysterical reaction.

Yes, Bono probably shouldn’t have used the word “girly” but I think we all know he isn’t sexist and we know the underlying point he was trying to make.

danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #32
The Fly

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
No. Stop being an apologist. Sexist things are sexist. If you don’t want to be called on it, don’t fucking say it.

Your argument is tantamount to the nonsense Trump voters go on with about political correctness gone mad. It hasn’t, we’ve just learnt from our mistakes and want to make things fairer. Resistance to this is the exclusive territory of the people who want to hold on to bigoted beliefs, but not be labelled for them.

Do I think Bono is sexist? No. Do I think an absent minded faux pas makes him look like a dinosaur? Abso-tootly.
Dear Dan,

You got me wrong. I live in a country that was the first to grant women a right to vote. I have a wife and a daughter. My wife plays soccer. Unfortunately in my home country ”women’s euro” is still 0.8 euros. I am all in for equlity, but I also understand that like all species we have male and female. And for the record I despise Trump.

Jippu71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #33
The Fly

And now that I got that out of me.... I really like Songs of experience.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post
Please spare us the faux outrage. You can’t say anything slightly controversial these days without a hysterical reaction.

Yes, Bono probably shouldn’t have used the word “girly” but I think we all know he isn’t sexist and we know the underlying point he was trying to make.

Girly isn’t a bad word, as words themselves cannot be bad. That’s just stupid. It’s all about context

He wasn’t trying to be sexist, therefore I’m not going to lose my shit.

I think the actions this man has taken over the course of his life speak louder than a stupid comment in a magazine.
BEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 PM
New remix of GOOYOW on Apple Music. It’s interesting. More club than anything. Fun listen.
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
New remix of GOOYOW on Apple Music. It’s interesting. More club than anything. Fun listen.

Meh. Sounds girly.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #37
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Meh. Sounds girly.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danm View Post

The problem is twofold. I’ll repeat once again that he used “girly” as a pejorative. And the comparison was made before to how many people used to say something was “gay” when they thought it was dumb or weak (I include myself among those people). That’s not ok anymore. It’s also not ok to call something “retarded”, as I’m sure most of us were guilty of at some point.

The other part is that he implied, however indirectly, that were wasn’t any female rage in rock & roll, or that a revolution in rock could only happen with the return of male rage. There’s a lot wrong with this statement in terms of not being aware of the entirety of the music scene; he should know at this point how diverse people’s interests are in this area and how niche-driven rock music has become. Now I agree with Bono that’s it’s a good thing for young men to have an artistic/musical outlet for pent-up energy and emotion, and this is something that is relatively absent, at least on the charts and radio compared to the days of classic/cock rock. But there was a way to phrase this sentiment that doesn’t disenfranchise or ignore women in rock.

We all know the band’s history, how important women are to their organization, how they championed female heroes on the last tour, how they are big admirers of poet of rage Patti Smith, how he’s had lyrics like “women of the future have the big revelations”, his charity work with Poverty is Sexist, etc. But the general public doesn’t, and so he comes off like yet another man scared of the long-controlling patriarchy starting to crumble.

This isn’t about people overreacting, it’s about considering your choice of words when you’re speaking from a large pulpit and position of power and influence, regardless of what your past actions and words have displayed.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #39
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The problem is twofold. I’ll repeat once again that he used “girly” as a pejorative. And the comparison was made before to how many people used to say something was “gay” when they thought it was dumb or weak (I include myself among those people). That’s not ok anymore. It’s also not ok to call something “retarded”, as I’m sure most of us were guilty of at some point.

The other part is that he implied, however indirectly, that were wasn’t any female rage in rock & roll, or that a revolution in rock could only happen with the return of male rage. There’s a lot wrong with this statement in terms of not being aware of the entirety of the music scene; he should know at this point how diverse people’s interests are in this area and how niche-driven rock music has become. Now I agree with Bono that’s it’s a good thing for young men to have an artistic/musical outlet for pent-up energy and emotion, and this is something that is relatively absent, at least on the charts and radio compared to the days of classic/cock rock. But there was a way to phrase this sentiment that doesn’t disenfranchise or ignore women in rock.

We all know the band’s history, how important women are to their organization, how they championed female heroes on the last tour, how they are big admirers of poet of rage Patti Smith, how he’s had lyrics like “women of the future have the big revelations”, his charity work with Poverty is Sexist, etc. But the general public doesn’t, and so he comes off like yet another man scared of the long-controlling patriarchy starting to crumble.

This isn’t about people overreacting, it’s about considering your choice of words when you’re speaking from a large pulpit and position of power and influence, regardless
of what your past actions and words have displayed.
100%. And the fact that we even have to discuss this sucks. That said, sex&drugs&rock’roll
Old 12-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #40
The Fly

Local Time: 03:45 PM
A month in - any songs on SOE you are just done with?

I'm through with The Blackout. I think it's mostly dross and shit lyrics. What happened is I listened to Acrobat and then The Blackout sequentially because I thought, "oh here's a pairing of angsty angry songs". The latter clearly doesn't hold up.
aviastar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
A month in - any songs on SOE you are just done with?

I'm through with The Blackout. I think it's mostly dross and shit lyrics. What happened is I listened to Acrobat and then The Blackout sequentially because I thought, "oh here's a pairing of angsty angry songs". The latter clearly doesn't hold up.

Don't think there's any at the minute I don't like. Think the album becomes great from summer of love to blackout. Lights of home is great. Opening and ending tracks are what they are. Album tracks that open the album nicely and end the album nicely but I wouldn't exactly listen to them on their own if that makes sense.

Best thing I still like, get out of your own way I like more then best thing, got into u2 because of beautiful day/atyclb so obviously I'm gonna like this track. I love the Kendrick Lamar ending into. American soul I still like.

The only one I wasn't that fond of was love is bigger but that's growing on me now
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:45 PM
The one I like the least right now is GOOYOW. The lyrics make me cringe. I actually kind of like American Soul, which I used to hate. I may have overdosed on Summer of Love and need to give it a rest for a while. 13 still makes me cry, so I try not to listen to it when I’m driving to work.

Tune in again next week for totally different opinions!
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #43
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Meh. Sounds girly.

In a good way!!
cseggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #44
War Child

I come from the Seinfeld and Larry David school of say things as controversial as you want and then say “not that there is anything wrong with that!”
Music is very girly today...not that there is anything wrong with that!
Let me know if this helps at all...I’m here all night!
cseggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #45
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseggleton View Post
I come from the Seinfeld and Larry David school of say things as controversial as you want and then say “not that there is anything wrong with that!”
Music is very girly today...not that there is anything wrong with that!
Let me know if this helps at all...I’m here all night!
Not sure! One thing that people are losing in droves is a sense of humor! Comedians can't talk about much these days!!

......not that there's anything wrong with that! (There is!!)

Gzusfrk is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bongs of experience, soe, songs of experience