Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So who were the people who said the Bono "girly" comment was just going to blow over?

It hasn't. As I expected.

I really hope when they get back on tour some journalists, preferably female ones, call him out on this and ask him to explain himself. Then at least he will be able to provide some context around the larger points he was trying to make that were overshadowed by one dumb comment.

But there is no need to cut back on the production. If anything their chase for relevancy is hurting ticket sales, as it makes younger generations less likely to check them out to cross them off the list, so to speak.

Agreed. They don't *need* to. They're clearly selling enough high priced tickets to justify whatever they want. My comparison was really of what they *could* do and still be effective, as both a live draw and an artist.

It's rather amazing to see such a continued streak of tone deafness on their part. Especially with a pretty strong album in hand.

Ah well. I'll be taking a pee break during whatever twofer of BD/Hellevation they subject us to.

So who were the people who said the Bono "girly" comment was just going to blow over?

In order for it to "blow over" it would have had to be an issue in the first place and other than this place(which nearly self destructed), I personally haven't heard a single thing about that comment. I also don't think that it being mentioned by a person in this article means it hasn't blown over or is a thing. I've read dozens of articles, posts and interviews since and haven't heard a thing.

I mean, did celebrities refuse to cheer/clap for U2 during the Grammys or was iHeart chided for giving them the tour of the year award given the "girly" comment Bono made? Have venues canceled shows? I ask that seriously because I honestly haven't heard a thing and perhaps I am missing some giant shit storm occurring that I am unaware of.

And please, don't anyone reference Twitter as a source for outrage because if a cat eats a mouse, you can find Twitter users who are "outraged".

Last edited:

I really hope when they get back on tour some journalists, preferably female ones, call him out on this and ask him to explain himself. Then at least he will be able to provide some context around the larger points he was trying to make that were overshadowed by one dumb comment.
It has.

Because some random band recalls something about it doesn't mean it's a big deal.

Not defending what he said, but nobody gives a turkey about it and this is the first I've even hears about it since he said it.

In order for it to "blow over" it would have had to be an issue in the first place and other than this place(which nearly self destructed), I personally haven't heard a single thing about that comment. I also don't think that it being mentioned by a person in this article means it hasn't blown over or is a thing. I've read dozens of articles, posts and interviews since and haven't heard a thing.

I mean, did celebrities refuse to cheer/clap for U2 during the Grammys or was iHeart chided for giving them the tour of the year award given the "girly" comment Bono made? Have venues canceled shows? I ask that seriously because I honestly haven't heard a thing and perhaps I am missing some giant shit storm occurring that I am unaware of.

And please, don't anyone reference Twitter as a source for outrage because if a cat eats a mouse, you can find Twitter users who are "outraged".

It has.

Because some random band recalls something about it doesn't mean it's a big deal.

Not defending what he said, but nobody gives a turkey about it and this is the first I've even hears about it since he said it.

There are a fair number of artists, some better known than others, that commented about it after it happened. This isn't about one obscure/young act.

I imagine when Bono's name comes up now, it's the first thing that's going to come to mind for a lot of people because it's pretty recent and incendiary, and was never addressed by him afterwards.

There are a fair number of artists, some better known than others, that commented about it after it happened. This isn't about one obscure/young act.

I imagine when Bono's name comes up now, it's the first thing that's going to come to mind for a lot of people because it's pretty recent and incendiary, and was never addressed by him afterwards.

And you'd be wrong.

It was a silly, stupid thing to say - and most people have forgotten he ever said it. Some forgit because people kinda know Bono isn't sexist and just said something stupid, and others forgot because outside of this place it barely scratched the surface.

For those who care to mock him, you'll have to go through iTunes, taxes, sunglasses, hair, old, dad rock that keeps getting forced down our throats, that stupid joke about someone dying everytime he claps his hands, and about a thousand or so food jokes from interference before you ever got to the girly comment.

Bruce sells tickets regardless of album release and can play deep cuts, new tracks and hits alike. His stage production is almost non-existent and yet the catharsis and joy are unparalleled.

They're just unwilling to do more with less and clearly LN is unwilling to charge less.

The guy that had the last album of new material in 2012 and whose last release was a mix of old(er) songs ? The guy doing Broadway solo "shows" until June ? Really ?

Yeah, I'll stick with the band that gave us two albums of new stuff and two tours since 2014. And they will be doing "less" every time since 360. They're playing arenas. How much less do you want ? Clubs ?

I really hope they actually read the interview first.

That was a good summary. Somebody should force the band to read it.

Wait. The Edge? His name is the Edge? Is that really his legal name? What’s Bono’s real name?

And we take the author of this seriously ? Good for you.

The guy that had the last album of new material in 2012 and whose last release was a mix of old(er) songs ? The guy doing Broadway solo "shows" until June ? Really ?

Yeah, I'll stick with the band that gave us two albums of new stuff and two tours since 2014. And they will be doing "less" every time since 360. They're playing arenas. How much less do you want ? Clubs ?

While U2 have had some major fuck ups over the past several years that included very questionable marketing decisions as well as “tax” issues... I agree with you.

Wait. The Edge? His name is the Edge? Is that really his legal name? What’s Bono’s real name?

I don't see Bono or The Edge being added to The Big Book of Baby Names 2019.

And you'd be wrong.

It was a silly, stupid thing to say - and most people have forgotten he ever said it. Some forgit because people kinda know Bono isn't sexist and just said something stupid, and others forgot because outside of this place it barely scratched the surface.

For those who care to mock him, you'll have to go through iTunes, taxes, sunglasses, hair, old, dad rock that keeps getting forced down our throats, that stupid joke about someone dying everytime he claps his hands, and about a thousand or so food jokes from interference before you ever got to the girly comment.

To be fair, the food jokes are never not funny.

La la la la la

[emoji90]

In other news they’re rehearsing Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses on instagram.

Not to be over dramatic, but I legit teared up when I saw/heard this on Facebook. So excited. But knowing them, they'll probably play it a few times at drop it when the casuals don't go crazy for it. Not getting my hopes up!

Not to be over dramatic, but I legit teared up when I saw/heard this on Facebook. So excited. But knowing them, they'll probably play it a few times at drop it when the casuals don't go crazy for it. Not getting my hopes up!

#ASortOfHomcomingJT30

That’s why I’m glad I’ll be there on opening night. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom