Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm jumping on the love is bigger bandwagon. It's grown on me loads. Love it. Not having landlady yet though. Landlady and American soul are the two tracks that i have to stop myself from skipping

Landlady is great. Restrained, singer-songwriter style track they could do plenty more of.

Landlady is a U2 classic! I played this for two friends of mine who are classically trained musicians employed in orchestras. These friends normally scoff at the majority of popular music; however, they both said that this was an incredibly gorgeous song. One of these friends, and the only one who is familiar with and likes a lot of U2's songs, even said that this song was easily in U2's all-time top 10. I was asked to play the song again after it finished. None of the other songs I played from Songs of Experience received this strong of a reaction. They both agreed that it was the music that captivated their attention.

Although we all have different tastes and are entitled to our own opinions, it still baffles me how anyone could not at least think this song is pretty good.

Landlady is a U2 classic! I played this for two friends of mine who are classically trained musicians employed in orchestras. These friends normally scoff at the majority of popular music; however, they both said that this was an incredibly gorgeous song. One of these friends, and the only one who is familiar with and likes a lot of U2's songs, even said that this song was easily in U2's all-time top 10. I was asked to play the song again after it finished. None of the other songs I played from Songs of Experience received this strong of a reaction. They both agreed that it was the music that captivated their attention.

Although we all have different tastes and are entitled to our own opinions, it still baffles me how anyone could not at least think this song is pretty good.

I like all the tracks on the record, American soul and landlady being my least favourite.

I like all the tracks on the record, American soul and landlady being my least favourite.

Totally agree with you on American Soul, but we will have to agree to disagree on Landlady. Maybe it will grow on you, maybe it won't. I can understand someone saying it is not their favorite type of song or their preferred U2-type of song, but I still find it interesting that someone could say that this is a mediocre or worse yet, a bad song.

Landlady is up there with their best for sure. Similar thing with me for this song. Got the same reaction from people who don’t normally listen to U2 when I played them Iris. I hope they play it on tour.

Totally agree with you on American Soul, but we will have to agree to disagree on Landlady. Maybe it will grow on you, maybe it won't. I can understand someone saying it is not their favorite type of song or their preferred U2-type of song, but I still find it interesting that someone could say that this is a mediocre or worse yet, a bad song.

I seem to be the opposite to a lot of people on here. The other song that was in my bottom 3 was love is bigger, which I know everyone loves on here.

That has grown on me loads though and I'm well into it now, maybe my landlady time will come [emoji2]

I seem to be the opposite to a lot of people on here. The other song that was in my bottom 3 was love is bigger, which I know everyone loves on here.

]

Not everyone. I am puzzled by the love for it, so I gave it another spin the other day on my drive home (its usually one of the songs I skip) to see if I was missing something. Nope, still sucks. Schlocky garbage imo.

I think Landlady is lovely, but I don't think it's as good as others do. Definitely in the lower tier of songs on the album for me.

I haven't listened to the albim in weeks, but that's just because I haven't been in a U2 mood. It's a very good album and it'll sound great and fresh when I listen to it next .... whenever that might be.

Last edited:
Not everyone. I am puzzled by the love for it, so I gave it another spin the other day on my drive home (its usually one of the songs I skip) to see if I was missing something. Nope, still sucks. Schlocky garbage imo.

This

I finally got to hear this album :hyper: on a nice stereo tonight (not at my house)! Even thought it was later in the night (after 10pm) so I couldn't really blast like I would have in the afternoon or earlier evening, it was moderately loud. It sounded soooo good.
Can't wait to drop in later this week and crank it up. Now even though I brought the volume down a few notches more it still sounds good (which is what a good sound system should do, after all :wink:).
Songs still rank good to sublime. Sublime:LIAWHL,LOH,SOL,L,TB & TBOYH. Excellent:RFD, TLTGYA,13.

I have to be in the house (MSG) for which ever of these are played, and would be happy hear some of the others, too. We couldn't get tix. I won't panic till mid-April or so. :D
I say MSG bc I am a nyc'r, and it's easier than going out to ?Newark. but I might consider that if it's the only chance I get. we'll see.

While it would’t call it “garbage” count me in this group that doesn’t get the love for it....

I think Landlady is lovely, but I don't think it's as good as others do. Definitely in the lower tier of songs on the album for me.

I haven't listened to the albim in weeks, but that's just because I haven't been in a U2 mood. It's a very good album and it'll sound great and fresh when I listen to it next .... whenever that might be.

Totally agree with this....landlady is very nice musically but the landlady metaphor is just not good in my opinion.

If it were me, I would cut Landlady and Love is bigger....

Cheers.

(Runs and hides for fear of reprisal)

I think Landlady is one of SOE's better tracks, but the metaphor is really clumsy. He describes Ali as a landlady who paid the rent. A landlady can waive rent, but she does not pay it - she receives it!

I think Landlady is one of SOE's better tracks, but the metaphor is really clumsy. He describes Ali as a landlady who paid the rent. A landlady can waive rent, but she does not pay it - she receives it!

unless she's subletting :D

I never even looked at it that way [emoji23][emoji23]

Land Lady is a nice song but I put it in the middle of the album from a song ranking perspective. The lyrics are nice, the melody is nice and the ending is strong but “Landlady” is an odd term of endearment. “My Lady” would have flowed better for me. And Ax is right....a Land Lady doesn’t pay the rent and I never even thought of that so It’s an even Stranger fit.

Land Lady is a nice song but I put it in the middle of the album from a song ranking perspective. The lyrics are nice, the melody is nice and the ending is strong but “Landlady” is an odd term of endearment. “My Lady” would have flowed better for me. And Ax is right....a Land Lady doesn’t pay the rent and I never even thought of that so It’s an even Stranger fit.

"My Lady"? what century is this?!

Way to go, you just ruined the song for everyone who didn't notice this before. :sad:

"My Lady"? what century is this?!

?

You’ve never heard someone say “that’s my lady”?

i'm not sure i have really, or only as a joke :lol:

Hahaha yeah I thought this was a fairly well known meme.

Now I say MSG bc I am a nyc'r, and it's easier than going out to ?Newark. but I might consider that if it's the only chance I get. we'll see.

It's about a 20 min train ride from Penn Station. We're talking a Friday night in summer. Half the offices are closed by 3pm anyway. I'm glad they went with Pru over Barclays.

So I'll provide a 1.75 month judgment on SOE from those who heard it but are unabashed U2 skeptics, one of whom had said of late "I actually can't stand them". Here was their take:

LIAWHL/LOH
-"Not bad. Better than the last."
YTBTAM/GOOYOW
-"I like this. Simple, reminds of an era I liked. Maybe Beautiful Day?"
American Soul
-"Oh boy. More lectures. Pass."
SoL/RFD
-(tapping along to both) "This is interesting, I like this."
Showman
-"Meh."
TLTTGYA
-(Big reaction. Spawned convo on album as a whole.)
Landlady
-"I love this. Like, this is my favorite version of them."
The Blackout
-"Cool, but give me more of what I just heard, please."
LIBTAIIW
-(No reaction either way.)
Bonus: Book of Your Heart
-"Actually maybe I don't like this band."
-"I take that back. He sounds so good here. This is fantastic."

So there you have it. A cynic's view of the new album. And for reference, one of those providing input hated the last album and didn't even know NLOTH existed, but loved JT and ATYCLB.

Last edited:
Maybe he's not singing about Ali, but the true love of his life, the landlady, you know Leo's real mother.

Back
Top Bottom