Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, is SFS supposed to be about Bono losing his virginity? I'm pretty new here so if there were previous discussions of this I missed them. I know it's a relationship song and I figure it's about Ali but, to me, it's one of those where the lyrics are pretty opaque and hard to interpret. Can you explain a bit more as to how you got that meaning?

"I was told I would feel nothing the first time." Sometimes we look for opacity in the lyrics when it isn't there.

Wait, is SFS supposed to be about Bono losing his virginity? I'm pretty new here so if there were previous discussions of this I missed them. I know it's a relationship song and I figure it's about Ali but, to me, it's one of those where the lyrics are pretty opaque and hard to interpret. Can you explain a bit more as to how you got that meaning?

I feel it’s about “the first time” he fell in love(the first girl he would date he wouldn’t feel anything but instead fell in love) but others here feel it’s the first time he had sex.

I am of course right and they are wrong ;)

I certainly felt something the first time I had sex! 30 seconds later it was all over!! ;)

He really is in a wig now, isn’t he.

His new assistant:

1e72f352-3d31-4f8e-951e-a2c598d74cc4_screenshot.jpg

I liked the song till I realized someone I don’t like helped write it. Now I don’t like the same song, despite no difference in the actual song from when I liked it.

That's just sad... sorry

There are a ton of songs U2 wrote or sampled either with the help of other artists or songs in the past we just don't realize or think about it this point because they have been around for so long.

That's just sad... sorry

There are a ton of songs U2 wrote or sampled either with the help of other artists or songs in the past we just don't realize or think about it this point because they have been around for so long.

Hello, my name is Sr Poop and I really, really, really suck at detecting sarcasm.

Sorry I don't live on this forum like you do... I have a life

Gee no-one has ever used that insult at me before. You're pooping out the best.

And if you can't detect sarcasm, perhaps the Internet just isn't for you.

So basically this thread is dead nowadays. I remember every day it was active when SOE wasn't released and I was still new here.

For me reality sank in. The album isn’t that great.

This album is odd for me right now. There are a lot of songs, more than any album since Achtung Baby, that I consider good/very good songs but yet i don’t find myself enamored with it. I’m not listening to it as much as I was SOI and don’t have an urge to go back and listen to many of the songs.

Something is off for me and I can’t pinpoint it yet.

This album is odd for me right now. There are a lot of songs, more than any album since Achtung Baby, that I consider good/very good songs but yet i don’t find myself enamored with it. I’m not listening to it as much as I was SOI and don’t have an urge to go back and listen to many of the songs.

Something is off for me and I can’t pinpoint it yet.

I'm sort of the same. I don't hate any of the songs, but I'm not listening to this even half as much as I did with SOI.

For me reality sank in. The album isn’t that great.

You’re right, it’s actually excellent. ;). I think after the Grammy’s things will pickup steam again, but there are better songs than AS to promote. There’s some deep emotional songs on here too so I think the concert performances will bring the intensity they need. I still listen to the album everyday.

You’re right, it’s actually excellent. ;). I think after the Grammy’s things will pickup steam again, but there are better songs than AS to promote. There’s some deep emotional songs on here too so I think the concert performances will bring the intensity they need. I still listen to the album everyday.

I personally think that they should promote Lights Of Home because it has that modern feel to it that it would do really well on the charts.

I love this album :heart:

After two months (approximately), my favorite listens have Showman, Lights of Home, and Get Out of Your Own Way. I'll probably check back in a couple of months with a different list.

I still listen to it at least once a week, sometimes more. I listened to the whole thing in the car today while I drove around and did some errands and it hasn’t gotten old yet.

I'm sort of the same. I don't hate any of the songs, but I'm not listening to this even half as much as I did with SOI.

Same here. There were a couple I didn't like on SOI but I was listening to that album start to finish for weeks on end when it came out and I still love it.

Live, the songs were even better and I came away appreciating some lot more, apart from Song For Someone, that song can still kiss my ass.

This album though, I'm feeling really indifferent to most of it for some reason I'm listening to it once or twice a week at work but some of the songs are just ones I put up with until the good one comes on next. Can't remember ever having that feeling with a new U2 album.

And I'm DREADING hearing fucking American Soul (a pointless nothing of a song) and Get Out (shit) which are obviously going to be played every damn night on this tour. Hopefully they dig up some decent rarities here and there to make up for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom