Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
The last thread had sailed past the 1,000 post mark, so I thought I'd start a new one with an orchestra and film it for the BBC. Get ready to torrent the heavily-edited Canadian version tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRu View Post
It was a sexist thing to say, and there is no valid defense for it. But he has shown to care deeply about women's rights, and this is very minor in comparison. I get annoyed by it, but I take solace in that he'll learn his lesson, if not from any backlash then probably from his wife and daughters.

As a non native english speaker I didn’t catch all the nuances. I think he meant that majority of today’s pop is consumed by teenage girls through Spotify and Musicaly and it’s very polished ”safe” sounding music. Teenager boys don’t have new bands that they could channel their angst like I did when I was younger: Iron Maiden, Metallica, Nirvana. But that it just how I understood his words. Also, I fear that the way we read comments today has changed for worse. Everything is always processed first through this question: should I be offended by this? And that follows: is this enough to valid a social media shit storm?

Quote:
It was a sexist thing to say, and there is no valid defense for it. But he has shown to care deeply about women's rights, and this is very minor in comparison. I get annoyed by it, but I take solace in that he'll learn his lesson, if not from any backlash then probably from his wife and daughters.

As a non native english speaker I didn’t catch all the nuances. I think he meant that majority of today’s pop is consumed by teenage girls through Spotify and Musicaly and it’s very polished ”safe” sounding music. Teenager boys don’t have new bands that they could channel their angst like I did when I was younger: Iron Maiden, Metallica, Nirvana. But that it just how I understood his words. Also, I fear that the way we read comments today has changed for worse. Everything is always processed first through this question: should I be offended by this? And that follows: is this enough to valid a social media shit storm?

To answer your question, yes. It's enough for a social media shit storm. It takes only a hint of a breeze to stir the dust or outrage.

That's how I understood his words too - what he meant was pretty clear. It's absurd to me that that, the least interesting part of a very good interview, is what people are talking about. It's almost like the internet is nothing more that a vehicle to express outrage. I wonder if anyone's noticed that before! Maybe Jon Ronson should write a book about it, maybe focus on shaming...

I think music has gotten very girly. And there are some good things about that, but hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment – and that's not good.

People can get angry about that if they want to be angry (and ignore the second sentence, particularly the first part), but will they then give praise where it's due?

We worked closely together on that. Condoleezza Rice and Bush's chief of staff, Josh Bolten, also deserve a lot of credit. It is the largest health intervention in the history of medicine. There's now roughly 20 million lives saved in a war that had previously cost 35 million lives.

We have nearly 9 million members now, just over 3 million members in Africa. I am hoping that the voices south of the equator will drown out the voices north of the equator.

Women are stepping to the forefront. Our lead campaign at the moment is called Poverty Is Sexist. And there is another one called Girls Count.

Probably not. That's not what the internet does, even though the last three quotes are more notable and important than saying something is girly (and then explaining what he means).

So Little Things will be on the extended version of U2 at the BBC tonight. That’s great news, didn’t realise they also played that song.

Quote:

Easy solution

He should have said "rock music today is very safe"

Then we could all be having a pissing concert over U2 calling the kettle black with the same comment rather than this girly music discussion.

Well...just watched the extended version of U2 at the BBC.

There was no Little Things even though their official FB page said there would be? No TBT. No All I Want Is You, but it’s on youtube. Would still have been nice for it to be broadcast. Seems silly not to extend the show by 10mins and include these songs, especially at this time at night. They did show EBW and 13.

Still, great show overall.

Well...just watched the extended version of U2 at the BBC.

There was no Little Things even though their official FB page said there would be? No TBT. No All I Want Is You, but it’s on youtube. Would still have been nice for it to be broadcast. Seems silly not to extend the show by 10mins and include these songs, especially at this time at night. They did show EBW and 13.

Still, great show overall.

Did you happen to count how many songs they played?

Maybe we will see more in the future....I hope they put this out as an official release - I enjoyed it a lot from the Canadian version I saw.

Did you happen to count how many songs they played?

Maybe we will see more in the future....I hope they put this out as an official release - I enjoyed it a lot from the Canadian version I saw.

On the BBC in the UK they played:

Beautiful Day
Lights of Home
EBW
WOWY
Stuck in a Moment
GOOYOW
One
Love Is Bigger

They also released All I Want Is You on their youtube channel.

Easy solution

He should have said "rock music today is very safe"

Then we could all be having a pissing concert over U2 calling the kettle black with the same comment rather than this girly music discussion.

Yes, but... this is exactly the thing with this digital era. Had the interview only been in the print we would not have this discussion. We need to chill. Proud to say I’m not in Facebook.

Yes, but... this is exactly the thing with this digital era. Had the interview only been in the print we would not have this discussion. We need to chill. Proud to say I’m not in Facebook.
I'm failing to see the point here.

Is your point that if we didn't have the interwebs people wouldn't be complaining about the sexist sounding thing he said, because they wouldn't have as large an outlet?

Yea, sure. But that doesn't change that he should have phrased it differently.

I'm failing to see the point here.

Is your point that if we didn't have the interwebs people wouldn't be complaining about the sexist sounding thing he said, because they wouldn't have as large an outlet?

Yea, sure. But that doesn't change that he should have phrased it differently.

You are located in US. I am in Europe. My point was that this whole discussion of ”sexist” has gotten out of porpotion. Soon celebrities will not give any interviews because their words could be read incorrectly. And that’s a pity.

You are located in US. I am in Europe. My point was that this whole discussion of ”sexist” has gotten out of porpotion. Soon celebrities will not give any interviews because their words could be read incorrectly. And that’s a pity.

No. Stop being an apologist. Sexist things are sexist. If you don’t want to be called on it, don’t fucking say it.

Your argument is tantamount to the nonsense Trump voters go on with about political correctness gone mad. It hasn’t, we’ve just learnt from our mistakes and want to make things fairer. Resistance to this is the exclusive territory of the people who want to hold on to bigoted beliefs, but not be labelled for them.

Do I think Bono is sexist? No. Do I think an absent minded faux pas makes him look like a dinosaur? Abso-tootly.

Back
Top Bottom