Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
13 is really the 'One Step Closer' of this album I think lots of hipster U2 fans will hate on it, but it will grow in street cred over time as an understated, beautiful tune.

I actually kind of figured they'd like that one! That or the obviously understated ambient-leaning tracks like Love is All We Have Left, Book of Your Heart, and so on...

The difference is that One Step Closer is actually good.

Right on. Still one of the ones I hear off Atomic Bomb regularly. :up:

The verse melody is impressive actually. It's not instantly accessible as it isn't full of repitions - i don't know the terminology but it's a long and winding melody. So it doesn't stick after one (or dare I say four) listens.
But it's the sort of gentle, intricate melody that when your ear eventually learns it, and anticipates its twists and turns, it becomes far more fulfilling than the simple Best Thing-style melodies.

Re the chorus, the There Is A Light part was the best of SFS. The long and drawn out chorus was the worst.
So the chorus of 13 if gorgeous (until it does the soooonnngggggg bit).

Lyrics are good. The lyrical idea is probably stronger than the lyrics themselves, but it is well written, haunting and effective.

:up::up::up::up:

2 goosebump-inducing moments of the song.......

A) Start of the line... " When all you have left is leaving....

B) Start of the line..... " Are you tough enough to be kind....

Does no one else have a problem with The Showman? I just... don’t like it. Seems so out of place and I guess feel that it would have been sort of a cool bonus song.

:up: The bottom for me, zero emotions from that song. And I'm usually on board with U2's more pop songs. Also...The showman gives you front row to his heart The showman prays his heartache will chart sinks the song.

Absolutely should be a B-side, along with alternate SFS aka 13. Instead, they ought to add Book of your heart to the album before LIBTAIIW, which ought to have been the closer.

Also, do something with the tracklist...the way we're thrown from that nice 1-2 punch of the opener/LOH into bubble gum pop doesn't work, and neither does having Blackout tossed after Landlady/The Little things.

:up: The bottom for me, zero emotions from that song. And I'm usually on board with U2's more pop songs. Also...The showman gives you front row to his heart The showman prays his heartache will chart sinks the song.

Absolutely should be a B-side, along with alternate SFS aka 13. Instead, they ought to add Book of your heart to the album before LIBTAIIW, which ought to have been the closer.

Also, do something with the tracklist...the way we're thrown from that nice 1-2 punch of the opener/LOH into bubble gum pop doesn't work, and neither does having Blackout tossed after Landlady/The Little things.

Yes!! No emotion at all for me. I’m not looking for fun, silly songs from U2. And that leads into Little Things?!?! Argh.

Check out my track listing a page or 3 back. I ease into the pop stuff, move the Blackout and include Book of Your Heart. I love 13, so I end with it, but you could tweak it slightly to make it right for you.

Last edited:
Just listened to the album for the first time this week. Fuck it’s good. My favorite sequences are songs 1-2 and 9-13 and I’m good with the middle but I think the two sequences above are what I’ll continue to come back to. I usually judge the strength of U2 albums by the strength of Side B. I generally enjoy all their singles but I love gems on Side B and/or deeper cuts. This album does not disappoint. In fact, I’d say the singles probably rank in the bottom half for me and I still like them.

Phenomenal effort from a band nearing their 60’s. I think years from now, this album will be looked highly upon as a late career classic.

Just listened to the album for the first time this week. Fuck it’s good. My favorite sequences are songs 1-2 and 9-13 and I’m good with the middle but I think the two sequences above are what I’ll continue to come back to. I usually judge the strength of U2 albums by the strength of Side B. I generally enjoy all their singles but I love gems on Side B and/or deeper cuts. This album does not disappoint. In fact, I’d say the singles probably rank in the bottom half for me and I still like them.

Phenomenal effort from a band nearing their 60’s. I think years from now, this album will be looked highly upon as a late career classic.

Yeah, agreed. I’ve been very excited by how much I’ve liked it, and now we are 4 weeks on from our first listen, I’m only liking it more.

I’m finding the same thing. I started out elated by the album. Yes a couple weak spots, but that at least told me I was being somewhat objective about it.
Then I burnt out a bit, and at the same time there was the smattering of bad reviews, a couple of my friends that are decent fans, bad-mouthed it.
I had a period of doubt and disappointment. I guess I WAS off base. I’m not being objective at all, I’m in the tank for this band and this album is just a shadow of a once great band.

I took a week or so off. Went back. Tried to listen more critically. And hell if I didn’t love it just as much. Some parts I liked more (Lights of Home, Book of Your Heart, renewed love for The Blackout, even found American Soul a bit more tolerable). Some I moderated on slightly (Get Out), and I still don’t like The Showman. But just a phenomenal album.
I have to say that after I redid the tracklisting, it clicked even more for me.
I’m not a young fan. I’m 42 and for the first time in many years, I fell asleep listening to this album several nights, like I used to do with great albums in high school and college.

There’s something emotional about it.

Also, I think I’ve cracked the code on why the String Version of Lights of Home works better than the album version.

Yes, I think it flows a little better from Love is All. BUT the real reason is the flow WITHIN the song itself. By this, I mean that the transition from the main body of the song to the ending choral section is leaps and bounds more smooth. The strings totally meld into that section ina way the album version doesn’t.

How is everyone else feeling??

Last edited:

If it weren’t for the Showman, 6-13 would be one of the strongest run of songs in their career.

I’m finding the same thing. I started out elated by the album. Yes a couple weak spots, but that at least told me I was being somewhat objective about it.
Then I burnt out a bit, and at the same time there was the smattering of bad reviews, a couple of my friends that are decent fans, bad-mouthed it.
I had a period of doubt and disappointment. I guess I WAS off base. I’m not being objective at all, I’m in the tank for this band and this album is just a shadow of a once great band.

I took a week or so off. Went back. Tried to listen more critically. And hell if I didn’t love it just as much. Some parts I liked more (Lights of Home, Book of Your Heart, renewed love for The Blackout, even found American Soul a bit more tolerable). Some I moderated on slightly (Get Out), and I still don’t like The Showman. But just a phenomenal album.
I have to say that after I redid the tracklisting, it clicked even more for me.
I’m not a young fan. I’m 42 and for the first time in many years, I fell asleep listening to this album several nights, like I used to do with great albums in high school and college.

There’s something emotional about it.

Also, I think I’ve cracked the code on why the String Version of Lights of Home works better than the album version.

Yes, I think it flows a little better from Love is All. BUT the real reason is the flow WITHIN the song itself. By this, I mean that the transition from the main body of the song to the ending choral section is leaps and bounds more smooth. The strings totally meld into that section ina way the album version doesn’t.

How is everyone else feeling??

The String Version of Lights of Home is my favorite! I think it flows better, builds emotion a bit better, and the Haim riff is less evident, not that it’s bad, it’s a killer riff, but like they didn’t even HAVE to have it in the song!

If it weren’t for the Showman, 6-13 would be one of the strongest run of songs in their career.

I think it would be the strongest run if it weren’t for Blackout. I really like Blackout, but it’s jarring in the flow.

Showman is just fun, it will never make a favorite list, but I can’t remember U2 just having fun like this.

The String Version of Lights of Home is my favorite! I think it flows better, builds emotion a bit better, and the Haim riff is less evident, not that it’s bad, it’s a killer riff, but like they didn’t even HAVE to have it in the song!

This is my take on the album cut vs strings. I find the strings to be more interesting.

Hmmmm....I love Showman but I think it's track 12 that spoils the run. It's not a bad song, but very boringly cliche U2 whereas Showman has a nice thematic tie in to Little Things and is just something different from the band. 13 doesn't do much for me either....it's a fine closer but nothing amazing.

Yeah, agreed. I’ve been very excited by how much I’ve liked it, and now we are 4 weeks on from our first listen, I’m only liking it more.
Me too. I've intentionally left it alone, then come back and loved it more. It's a grower. Which is pretty impressive when you consider how accessible and instant many of the hooks are

I am currently taking a break from the album. Haven't listened to it since Sunday. With the honeymoon period having ended, I feel I have a realistic impression of the album, but will report in detail when I hear it again. Still think it shades SOI for the highs it has. But SOI is a good one all the same.

I am currently taking a break from the album. Haven't listened to it since Sunday. With the honeymoon period having ended, I feel I have a realistic impression of the album, but will report in detail when I hear it again. Still think it shades SOI for the highs it has. But SOI is a good one all the same.

Apart from Volcano & California, I love all the songs on SOI.

Apart from Volcano & California, I love all the songs on SOI.
I dislike California and Miracle... I think even Volcano has a function within the album. Boots, Miracle and Best Thing makes it a hattrick of terrible singles choices.

I dislike California and Miracle... I think even Volcano has a function within the album. Boots, Miracle and Best Thing makes it a hattrick of terrible singles choices.
Have to concede though, and I say this as a fellow critic of Best Thing as a lead single, it's done better than I expected on the radio. And the acoustic version is quite good. While I get your point competely, it's a whole lot better than those other two I reckon.
Out of interest, what would you have chosen as a lead single?
I think I would have gone Love is Bigger

I might have gone with Lights of Home (not a favourite of mine on the album itself, but I thought one that has mass appeal) but it would have been too easy a target with the sampling of HAIM.

I actually would have gone with Red Flag Day. It has great scope for a video.

Have to concede though, and I say this as a fellow critic of Best Thing as a lead single, it's done better than I expected on the radio. And the acoustic version is quite good. While I get your point competely, it's a whole lot better than those other two I reckon.
Out of interest, what would you have chosen as a lead single?
I think I would have gone Love is Bigger
Also, Best Thing is much, much better than the previous two, I agree. But it's still one of the two weakest tracks on the album for me.

Also also, Love is Bigger would have been a far better choice as single. That 'If the moonlight caught you crying in Killiney Bay' part is special.

That 'If the moonlight caught you crying in Killiney Bay' part is special.

One of those transcendent U2 moments I thought we'd seen the end of.
Re Lights of Home, I actually think the strings version would have been a cool single. Really different, huge ending, and capable of hanging an incredible video off.

My memory isn't that great, but I'm not certain you always felt that way...

Your memory is definitely off, because I've always rated One Step Closer. When HTDAAB leaked, I got a bit of crap because I was busy praising it while most of the forum took a dump on it.

Your memory is definitely off, because I've always rated One Step Closer. When HTDAAB leaked, I got a bit of crap because I was busy praising it while most of the forum took a dump on it.

Fair enough - it’s always been a maligned song. Really missed a trick by not busting it out on I+e

Yes!! No emotion at all for me. I’m not looking for fun, silly songs from U2. And that leads into Little Things?!?! Argh.

Check out my track listing a page or 3 back. I ease into the pop stuff, move the Blackout and include Book of Your Heart. I love 13, so I end with it, but you could tweak it slightly to make it right for you.

Blackout for me could easily be paired with A. Soul.

Next to the jarring gap between "pop" songs and the rest, two things also stand out : a) the surgically clear-cut ending of songs. it's okay to have a fade-out ending ! and b) where is the Edge ? we need more solos.
That said, the album has some great moments I hadn't heard in years from U2 - the Iris callback ending in Lights of home, "sometimes" finish of Little things, the last verse of Landlady and "moonlight caught you crying on Killney Bay" bridge of LIBTAIIW. *also the ending of Book of your heart.
I like how the other three seemed to have found more groove this time : A. soul, Summer of love, Red flag day, Showman, Landlady, Blackout all have great textures and rhythms. The other thing is they have atmospherics which I didn't expect without Eno (Book of your heart and the opener). Can Andy Barlow produce solo next time?

I think it would be the strongest run if it weren’t for Blackout. I really like Blackout, but it’s jarring in the flow.

Showman is just fun, it will never make a favorite list, but I can’t remember U2 just having fun like this.

Party Girl is the only other one I can think of that has such a fun vibe.

Angel of Harlem and Trying To Throw Your Arms took on a fun vibe live but not quite as much on the albums (the "Baby" version of Trying had more if it).

Last edited:

California is the best song on the album and Best Thing is a great choice for a first single... There!

The Best Thing is a song that’s easy to hate on, and then you realize you’ve been belting it out in the shower, kitchen, etc every day. And then you realize that you love it.

Back
Top Bottom