Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can really recommend to listen to the album with a bit more expensive surface headphones, there are alot of details in the songs that you dont hear withcommon speakers/headphones.
And the already great atmosphere in the songs gets better, a lot more emotional also.

Last edited:
A few brief thoughts...

Landlady is the most ethereal melody Bono has ever sung. Gorgeous. Best song on the album for me.

What I’d give to know what happened to the awesome guitar riff and full band outro heard in Edge’s Fender Stratocaster video. That was as good a groove as Edge has had in 20 years and it’s buried in a studio somewhere. Bummer.

Such emphasis on vocal melody on the album, but sometimes I think the melody gets in the way of the music. It’s like, at times, Bono is channeling his inner Star-Spangled Banner voice and getting a tad flowery.

Overall, not sure I prefer it to SOI, but on the whole it’s fantastic. Wonder what it sounded like a year ago.

"The truth can be awkward." Well, that's not exactly how Lamar pronounces it. He can't pronounce it, actually. Unable. Why put this goof on the record, sandwiched between two songs? (rhetorical) A desperate reach by U2.

Without looking at the lyrics, I always thought it was “acrid”.

I think some of the vocal delivery in the showman harks back to raised by wolves. The way Bono's voice drops off,hard to explain but I hear it!

Some guy named David Axelrod (not the Obama guy) did an album called Songs Of Experience in 1969. The previous year he had Song (singular) of Innocence. Lawsuit.

David_Axelrod_-_Songs_of_Experience (1).jpg

Have to say the liner notes by Bono are a great read. Passionate and poetic but with a sense of realism too. I would love to read his memoir one day. I think people would be surprised at how good a writer he can be. Like Springsteen. Springsteen’s book was awesome - now that man can write.

He has already released his memoirs...chapter 14 was released yesterday!!

Finally got to listen to the disc at about 9pm last night. Some initial thoughts after a full listen and then going back to listen to some immediate standouts:

- This isn't the "U2 getting their groove back" album that the fan-community seems to be toting it as.

- Saying this is their best work since such-and-such album doesn't work from my perspective because my initial reaction is that SOI is more thoroughly better than its companion. So, it's their best album since Songs of Innocence for me.

- There are a handful of great songs, a few good ones, and some that aren't trash but are discardable if I had to vote some "off the island". It's about what I expect from a U2 release ever since ATYCLB.

- None of the songs will be live staples in the future. Little Things will be close to epic for a lot of die-hards, but casual listeners won't latch onto it.

- There are great moments of U2 veering into new directions; but it's not full-force enough to get me excited much.

- I'm not going to be "that guy" who complains they didn't rock hard enough. I'm actually enjoying that this album overall is more subdued. The standout moments are those when Bono is restraining himself from doing his "Save the world belting out an anthem" voice. "Love is all we have left", "13", and "Book of Your Heart" are all incredibly touching because of this (and of course some cool instrumentation).

That's all I've got for now. Again, haven't listened even a full two times yet. So, once I digest it more I could feel a differently. U2 is good at writing growers. Time will tell.

Wow, those little mini documentaries on Spotify in the "This Is U2" playlist are amazingly well produced. You all should definitely go and watch those.

Where are these so-called mini documentaries? All I see is a regular old Spotify playlist on their website. There isn't anything in the tracklisting to indicate videos....

- None of the songs will be live staples in the future. Little Things will be close to epic for a lot of die-hards, but casual listeners won't latch onto it.

- There are great moments of U2 veering into new directions; but it's not full-force enough to get me excited much.

Agree with most of your analysis. I thought SOI sucked and this one is better but not amongst their greats... but still some good tunes.

However as for the live songs I think The Blackout could be a staple. That song is going to fucking rock live.

And yeah there are touches of good new directions but they don't go whole hog into it anymore which I hate to see.

Just came back from a great road trip into the Joshua Tree Dessert ironically listening to the album on first go, preceded by a listen to SOI, here are my thoughts:

The album is by no doubt incredible to me, unlike every other album from when I became a fan (1996) I had little fears coming in from having already heard the material they released as singles or played on the JT17 tour. Blackout and Little things album versions are definitely better to me than what we had beforehand.

The album has some great ambient, ethereal songs which is reminiscent of passengers and opens the flood gates for remixes, along with classic songs that if U2 were a brand new band would be number 1 singles (I very much agree that people glorify the past and the future dries up), and I love the deep ballads and soft opener rather than the grab you by the teeth rock opener, it's like foreplay. The record plays beautifully straight thru, it's hard to imagine on my shorter commutes/workouts/painting/etc or what not having to stop the album. There's so many songs that to me they knew how they'd play them live as they wrote them, which I really hope and wish the unlikely that I'll hear every song live next tour. Final thing I love about the album is the connections to Songs Of Innocence by lyrics tones etc.

I know when NLOTH first came out I rated it top level maybe even top 3, and today I would put it more in the middle of the catalog (though I had a serious relapse listening to the album non stop this year in Morocco because of Fez song), so ultimately with all U2 albums is the test of time, what we think of the record in a month, a year, 5 years, and of course I think the tour, performances of the songs, and our personal experiences with them will affect that.

I can't wait to hear these songs live, to listen to them daily, and for the album really to be the soundtrack of my life when I think back to what will soon be 2018. Incredible record, it's gonna be yet another unforgettable tour. :applaud:

[youtube]iKcvlLKs8kc[/youtube]

[youtube]C5tWyBlBjl8[/youtube]

[youtube]LOF8gnEbgaw[/youtube]

[youtube]A-zU8Fu0N_g[/youtube]

Had brunch with a local U2 pal. Fun to talk about the album with someone in person!

Also happy SNL is now aired live on the west coast*, so I can watch it tonight and go to bed at a reasonable hour.

*yes, the one that everyone knows

This album contains 3 songs that could potentially break into my top 20 U2 songs which is saying a lot. I’m taking about Little Things, Love Is Bigger, and Blackout.

This album contains 3 songs that could potentially break into my top 20 U2 songs which is saying a lot. I’m taking about Little Things, Love Is Bigger, and Blackout.

Same here, but with different songs. I'm very happy because I think only the Troubles is the highest song from SOI for me, still falling outside of my top 50. Every other album has a place in the top 25.

It will be fun adding the SOE songs to my master list. SOI had 1 song break my top 2 with EBW hitting 15.

As far as the three songs you mentioned...Those are currently my top 3 songs from SOE and I’m curious if any will break my top 20(will need to live with them a little longer to know)

U2 v Taylor swift for number 1 next week.. u2 predicted to get 195k. So they could get 200k. Taylor swift sold 140k this week which was 40% down on last weeks sales. Really cannot see her getting anywhere near 200k even though it's released to streaming sites

The impact of Swift being released to streaming is really hard to predict.

On one hand, her fan base will be right in the streaming demo.

On the other, streaming doesn’t boost sales as much as it probably should, and I’m sure Swift’s release strategy was designed to increase real sales (more profitable) - the effect of which has already been used in her first two weeks of sales.

I can’t see U2 not taking #1 in most countries after this. 200k this week, and probably well below 100k next week.

The impact of Swift being released to streaming is really hard to predict.

On one hand, her fan base will be right in the streaming demo.

On the other, streaming doesn’t boost sales as much as it probably should, and I’m sure Swift’s release strategy was designed to increase real sales (more profitable) - the effect of which has already been used in her first two weeks of sales.

I can’t see U2 not taking #1 in most countries after this. 200k this week, and probably well below 100k next week.

I know of a couple of websites that report world wide sales. I have no doubt they will be #1 world wide and expect sales well over 500k.

I'll report on what I find.

Last edited:
MOST POPULAR ALBUMS OF 2017 (SPS)

1. "Divide" Ed Sheeran - 8,257,000
2. "Damn" Kendrick Lamar - 3,416,000
3. "More Life" Drake - 2,988,000
4. "24k Magic" Bruno Mars - 2,503,000 (3,660,000)
5. "Starboy" The Weeknd - 2,372,000 (3,126,000)
6. "Moana" OST - 2,138,000 (2,277,000)
7. "Reputation" Taylor Swift - 1,985,000
8. "Human" Rag'n'Bone Man - 1,826,000
9. "Stoney" Post Malone - 1,774,000
10. "Evolve" Imagine Dragons - 1,615,000

11. "Culture" Migos - 1,485,000
12. "25" Adele - 1,448,000 (21,086,000)
13. "Finally" Namie Amuro - 1,435,000
14. "X" Ed Sheeran -1,431,000 (10,127,000)
15. "Memories... Do Not Open" The Chainsmokers - 1,429,000
16. "The War" Exo - 1,402,000
17. "La La Land" OST - 1,385,000
18. "Harry Styles" Harry Styles - 1,308,000
19. "Beautiful Trauma" P!nk - 1,301,000
20. "Trolls" OST - 1,272,000 (1,751,000)

That's the top 20 selling albums this year. Imagine dragons being band in it doing 1.6 million copies. If u2 can do 2 million in today's market it will be a huge success. 1.5 million plus very good.

Back
Top Bottom