Songs of Experience - 1 Year Later - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2019, 08:59 AM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
I’m still on the fence about “ you’re the best thing that ever happened a boy” line because that’s not a poor lyric, it’s just poor grammar...he literally just removed a word to try and make it fit....FFS that was an asshat decision.
Funny thing, when I was in Dublin last November and reading some newspapers that sentence structure was used a couple of times. So for the Irish it is correct grammar.

Popmartijn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
(except that I dislike Love is Bigger much more).
I'm glad its not only me.

Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #48
The Male

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Funny thing, when I was in Dublin last November and reading some newspapers that sentence structure was used a couple of times. So for the Irish it is correct grammar.
Yeah, it's an incredibly goofy-sounding line for outsiders, but I can tell that it's serving as a kind of inside joke in the same manner as certain lines in Landlady. Still doesn't make me like it, but it's not as inexplicable as it sounds.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Am I the only one that likes both SOI and SOE? I’d rank them both somewhere in the middle of the pack of U2’s albums, which I think says a lot. Obviously it doesn’t touch their best material, but I really like the albums and am glad U2 are still making music.

My wish for the next album is for them to go a little darker, and stop trying to make “joyful” music.

You’re not. I am a huge fan of both albums.
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Yeah, it's an incredibly goofy-sounding line for outsiders, but I can tell that it's serving as a kind of inside joke in the same manner as certain lines in Landlady. Still doesn't make me like it, but it's not as inexplicable as it sounds.
It baffles me that people can't let this one go over a year after we've had an explanation for it. There are other lyrical crimes on the album more deserving of scorn.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
Excellent post, all of it! Even though I don't agree with your take on SOE, I appreciate the analysis and understand where you are coming from. I personally think SOE fits together much better than HTDAAB. Though HTDAAB gets a pass on that from me because there are so many strong songs on it- to include a mega hit and a decent sized hit.
Thanks U2387

I really didn’t want to sound like a hater on SOE because I do like the songs, I just don’t feel the album gels the way other great U2 albums have, so I find myself liking the SOE songs ala carte and divided by other U2 tracks rather than in one sitting.

I will say that as we know over time U2 songs have that ability to grow especially when we get live recordings, so I’m excited to get the fan club release of SOI/SOE live tracks more than anything to see how the dynamics change for me personally. I have SOE bootlegs but I like the production value of U22 & From the Ground Up. That’s one of my favorite parts of being a U2 fan is how the feelings and reactions to the same songs can change.
mofo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

What’s surprising is there have been no mentions about how SOE stacks up against Biffy Clyro’s best work.
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #53
The Fly

It's probably the worst album ever. But in all seriousness, it's a decent album. Pretty standard fare for post-2000s U2. There are songs I like and songs I don't like and I have revisited the ones I do like since its release.

I hope they reunite with Andy Barlow again at some point, his work was pretty great with them. Abandoning Tedder and Epworth and maybe Jacknife Lee would be ideal, but Tedder's work with the band wasn't nearly as awful as it could've been, i.e. that recent McCartney track, "Fuh You."

SOE has been polarizing to say the least, I've seen people call it the worst thing U2 has ever done or some of the freshest, most invigorated U2 has sounded in ages. Alhough maybe that has been said about previous albums too. Whatever one thinks though, I don't think I would say U2 is phoning it in, considering the amount of time it takes them to make an album. No doubt, this is a real labor of love for them (perhaps too much, i.e. tinkering, which has been discussed plenty here).

Love Is All We Have Left, Lights of Home, Red Flag Day, The Blackout, Landlady, Little Things, 13, Book of Your Heart and Summer of Love are all very solid songs. The tour was a treat for me as I missed I&E and as many pointed out I came to appreciate American Soul a bit more. Though I still like the verses a bit, it's just the chorus is lacking and they used it already. I know it's a callback to SOI, but it doesn't work much for me, although I do like the Glastonbury riff. I'd like to see more Edge next time around as he's a bit muted/reserved here.

I do wonder how this record will date and sound in 10 or so years time. Some of their post-2000s work seems a bit stale (it could be awful mixing and mastering), while the 90s stuff generally still sounds pretty incredible to my ears.

Nonetheless, i hope something new is in store for them with whatever they do next.
dk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

While I think the album is better than it gets credit for, it still suffers from the same thing that's brought down each of the last three albums - a vision compromised in the pursuit of chart relevance.

They can still produce incredible highs, but they, pun intended, can't get out of their own way.

This could have been a great album if songs 3 through 5 we're a little more adult. Ya know... songs of experience.

I also hate the call backs to Songs of Innocence (even if they work better in many cases on this album than the original), and that the most interesting guitar riff was written by someone else (and the fact that it was written by someone else was sorta hidden).

Still glad it gave me Little Things, Love Is Bigger, Showman, Landlady, Blackout and Lights of Home, tho
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

A year later and I still enjoy listening to SOE. I feel fortunate because I can sincerely say that in my time as a U2 fan, I've enjoyed where U2 has gone musically. Sure, there have been songs that I haven't liked as much as others, but I've never hated anything that U2 has done. Little Things is my favorite track from SOE.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #56
War Child

The album had so much potential but ultimately got sabotaged by a couple choices and fell short. Nothing has changed in the past year. American Soul & 13, i.e. the awkward throwbacks, and the hamfisted political verse in GOOYOW still suck.

1 Love Is All We Have Left
2 Lights Of Home (string version)
3 The Little Things
4 The Best Thing
5 Get Out Of Your Own Way
6 Red Flag Day
7 The Showman
8 Summer Of Love
9 Landlady
10 The Blackout
11 Love Is Bigger

Imagine a U2 record that doesn't hear the Edge until halfway through the second track! Mildly intriguing. RFD needed to be the lead single. Also, Bono needs to man up and drop the F-bomb in Showman.
Airseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

And you’re keeping Get Out because...?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #58
The Male

I really don't like Little Things in the #3 slot. I know U2 likes to put big ballads there sometimes but Little Things feels like a culmination rather than a cool down.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier

Big ballads but not epic ones.

Definitely belongs near the end.

If you really want a ballad in that spot, why not Landlady?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:06 AM
I'd go something like

1. The Blackout
2. Lights of Home
3. Red Flag Day
4. Summer of Love
5. The Showman (Little More Better)
6. Landlady