Song Name Speculation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
Besides the titles listed on the internet, I thought it would be fun for some guesses at other song titles on the upcoming release....here's mine:

"Kneel" Flaherty's Drake

"Kneel" to Cloverfield

The Captain and To "Kneel"

Pretentious Sunglasses

Everything You Know Is Still Wrong

SYCMIOYOSIAMYCGOOUTTEOTW

Because You Fucks Keep On About The Sunglasses, You Get No Tickets (Wankers)

Alternate re-mix: Good Luck Getting Into The Ellipse, Assholes

12" - I Wear My Sunglasses All Day And Night So Deal With It

Besides the titles listed on the internet, I thought it would be fun for some guesses at other song titles on the upcoming release....here's mine:

"Kneel" Flaherty's Drake

"Kneel" to Cloverfield

The Captain and To "Kneel"

Pretentious Sunglasses

Everything You Know Is Still Wrong

SYCMIOYOSIAMYCGOOUTTEOTW

"The Captain and To Kneel"! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

How about:
God Part III (Yes, I Mean Bono)
Guitar Trap (Bono solo)
Boo-Yah Som Som (African Chants)
This Street Does Have a Name And It's Called Rape Your Wallet Avenue
Scales
Special bonus track: Mercy (Just Kidding, Here's Another Live Version of I Will Follow)

How about these:

- I Know, You Know, Eno

- One Bird, Two Birds, Red Bird, Blue Bird

- Check out my Fez

Per U2 Home Page: @U2 - U2 News, U2 Pix, U2 lyrics, U2 Collectors Guide and more!

"Moment of Surrender" - Brian Eno reportedly told fans about this song outside Hanover Quay studios in early June, 2008. Eno called it "the best thing" he's recorded with U2.
"For Your Love" - a song title seen on the band's white board, as described in this article from the Fez recording sessions
"One Bird" - a song title seen on the band's white board, as described in this article from the Fez recording sessions
"No Line On The Horizon" - Bono and Edge played this song for a USA Today writer during an in-the-car interview at the Sundance Film Festival. On hearing it, writer Anthony Breznican says "heavy distortion fills the car," and later adds: "The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain." Edge explains that the song "It came out of a new distortion box that my guitar tech got."
Unknown Title - in the same interview with Anthony Breznican, Bono and Edge played a second song whose opening lyric is, "It's six o'clock...". Bono tells Breznican that numbers are significant in each of the new songs.
"If I Could Live My Life Again" - Bono says this song is "inspired by the great Argentinian poet Jorge Luis Borges." Bono said he had just begun the song while speaking with author Michka Assayas in December, 2005. Their interview appears as the extra material in the paperback version of Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas.
"Love Is All We Have Left" - a song Bono named during his May, 2006, trip to Africa as one that he had recently written. "It’s like an old Broadway tune. I thought it was a Frank Sinatra song," Bono said.
"North Star," a song from the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. In this CCM article, Smith describes the song as a tribute to Johnny Cash.
"Mercy", one of the last songs to get cut from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, described in Blender magazine as "a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish"
"Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" -- a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in this February, 2003, interview with Bono in Grammy Magazine
"You Can't Give Away Your Heart" - a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in SPIN magazine

- Let our love and creativity refurbish our new youth momentarily (LOLACRONYM)

- While my guitar is gently tuned

- No peace yet? We warned you all...

We are defying the wishes of the status quo music industry not by following a Radiohead-like distribution method, but by using song names that no one can remember.

WADTWOTSQMINBFARLDMBBUSNTNOCR

I'm incredibly excited for the album, but the song titles look a bit shit, don't they?

These song titles do sound shit, but hey, what was with songs like Pride (In The Name Of Love), All Because of You, Angel of Harlem, If God Will Send His Angels, etc...

we'll get used to them.

These song titles do sound shit, but hey, what was with songs like Pride (In The Name Of Love), All Because of You, Angel of Harlem, If God Will Send His Angels, etc...

we'll get used to them.

well yes they sound insanely shitty except for No Line Over the Horizon...and maybe Moment of Surrender and One Bird (although NLOTH is by far the best title) but remember...some of these titles were mentioned a few years ago, and it's just a title, something that can easily change in a matter of minutes....so now give those tracks a few years, and I'm sure we will get something drastically different than the aforementioned titles...

I will never, ever, ever understand how a title can be lousy. It just doesn't make any sense to me. And to judge unheard U2 songs by a rumored title, and declare them "shit" is just...I don't know...I mean...it's as if people have never actually listened to U2 and how their titles relate to the sonngs?

By just reading the title "With of Without You," it could be the most lame brain cliche love song every written, but we know it's timeless and brilliant.

Same goes for "New Years Day" or "Beautiful Day" or almost any song in their catalog.

Sure, "No Line on the Horizon" is an interesting title. But the song could stilll be a dud...

I will never, ever, ever understand how a title can be lousy. It just doesn't make any sense to me. And to judge unheard U2 songs by a rumored title, and declare them "shit" is just...I don't know...I mean...it's as if people have never actually listened to U2 and how their titles relate to the sonngs?

By just reading the title "With of Without You," it could be the most lame brain cliche love song every written, but we know it's timeless and brilliant.

Same goes for "New Years Day" or "Beautiful Day" or almost any song in their catalog.

Sure, "No Line on the Horizon" is an interesting title. But the song could stilll be a dud...

dude. obviously. nobody is judging the songs by the title- I'm just saying the titles themselves are boring/cliche.

Look at these titles:

Lead Me In the Way I Should Go
Love Is All We Have Left
You Can't Give Away Your Heart

The quality of the songs have nothing to do with the title, like you say....I mean all these songs could be incredible, but without hearing them, just looking at the titles, I'm saying the titles are bad, not the song or any new material....

I mean all of the above titles are so generic and so uninteresting- say one of those songs actually makes it to the album- that song could basically be called any one of these and it wouldn't matter...Now that's not necessarily a bad thing but just looking at the titles themselves...i'm not excited :shrug:

dude. obviously. nobody is judging the songs by the title- I'm just saying the titles themselves are boring/cliche.

Look at these titles:

Lead Me In the Way I Should Go
Love Is All We Have Left
You Can't Give Away Your Heart

The quality of the songs have nothing to do with the title, like you say....I mean all these songs could be incredible, but without hearing them, just looking at the titles, I'm saying the titles are bad, not the song or any new material....

I mean all of the above titles are so generic and so uninteresting- say one of those songs actually makes it to the album- that song could basically be called any one of these and it wouldn't matter...Now that's not necessarily a bad thing but just looking at the titles themselves...i'm not excited :shrug:

I'm curious, what would you consider a "Good" title for a song? :hmm:

I'm curious, what would you consider a "Good" title for a song? :hmm:

Where the Streets Have No Name
No Line Over the Horizon
Running to Stand Still
Bullet the Blue Sky
Kite
Drowning Man
An Cat Dubh
City of Blinding Lights

I mean, "Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" ???

U2 is so much better than that- The titles listed above actually give you that exciting, mysterious feeling before hearing it (the "ooohh what could this be?!" feeling) - Where the Streets Have No Name....c'mon, I'm already thinking epic. I guess what I'm trying to say is that a title like "Running to Stand Still" is thought-provoking, and instantly grabs my attention.

At least a title like "Kite" paints a picture in my mind before I even listen to it...It interests me, whereas a title like "Love Is All We Have Left" leaves me bored and uninterested :shrug:

No, because it wouldn't be Bono and it wouldn't be U2.
I don't expect - and don't want them - to act against their nature.
It's not about what the fans want, it's about what the band feels they want to do.
If they feel comfortable with their songs and lyrics and titles it's all fine. They shouldn't be forced into any directions.
And I feel we're just speculating about the titles, because so far we have no real information, except No Line On The Horizon and Moment Of Surrender. And, for all we know, even these titles could be changed in the end.
So let's wait and see what will really be on the album in the end, before we judge the band just based on some rumors.
Personally, I don't want U2 without LOVE, because LOVE is actually the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about U2.

No, because it wouldn't be Bono and it wouldn't be U2.
I don't expect - and don't want them - to act against their nature.
It's not about what the fans want, it's about what the band feels they want to do.
If they feel comfortable with their songs and lyrics and titles it's all fine. They shouldn't be forced into any directions.
And I feel we're just speculating about the titles, because so far we have no real information, except No Line On The Horizon and Moment Of Surrender. And, for all we know, even these titles could be changed in the end.
So let's wait and see what will really be on the album in the end, before we judge the band just based on some rumors.
Personally, I don't want U2 without LOVE, because LOVE is actually the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about U2.

ok, that's fine :)

I'd just like to make one thing clear that I'm not judging the band based off these titles by any means....there's a difference- all I'm saying is that many of the TITLES we have been given so far (yes, rumored titles) are boring and uninteresting...that's it. And really, it is pointless to discuss further because these titles could change any second and have probably already changed :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom